Download.com Site Feedback forum

Question

FireFox opens infinite tabs when downloading using TechTrack

by elstaci / May 26, 2012 8:45 AM PDT

Whenever I click on TechTracker to update a software, It takes me to CNET Download webpage. I login in and click on Download, Instantly, Firefox starts opening infinite amount of tabs which pretty much freezes Firefox. The tabs do not STOP. It just keeps opening tab after tab until I force Firefox close through Windows Task Manager. When I log off from CNET Download webpage and click on CNET.com and then click on Download section, The files downloads normally without a hitch. Which tells me, That TechTracker is causing some sort of incompatibility with Firefox.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FireFox opens infinite tabs when downloading using TechTrack
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FireFox opens infinite tabs when downloading using TechTrack
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Please follow these steps to resolve the problem:

1. First be sure to set Firefox as your default browser if it is not already.

2. In your Firefox browser: Select Tools > Options > Applications

3. Scroll down until you see "cbsitt" in the left hand column. Go ahead and click on cbsitt to highlight it.

4. In the right hand column drop down menu, choose "Use TechTracker (default)" if available.

5. If the "Use TechTracker (default)" option was available, you should now be able to download correctly and you can skip the rest of these instructions.

If the above option is not there, however, you will need to continue as follows:

6. Enable hidden folders. To do so, open My Computer or any Explorer window: Select Tools -> Folder Options -> Select the View tab -> In the Advanced Settings box, scroll down until you see "Hidden files and folders" -> Choose the "Show hidden files and folders" option -> Click OK.

7. Going back to where you were in Step 4 in the Firefox browser (Drop down menu), you can now choose "Use other..." then select "Browse..." in the next window.

8. You will now want to navigate to the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\Application Data\CBS Interactive\CNET TechTracker

Please note that "(your username)" will be your windows login name.

9. Click on the "TechTracker" file then click "Open." "Use TechTracker" should now appear in the box next to cbsitt. You can click "OK" to close the window.

10. You may now return to Step 4 and select the "Hide hidden files and folders" option if you wish to keep those folders hidden. Otherwise, restart your Firefox browser and attempt to use TechTracker. The issue should be resolved.

If this does not work, however, please let us know by submitting a support ticket so we may troubleshoot further. To submit a support ticket:

1. Go to http://cnet.custhelp.com
2. Click on the "E-mail Support" tab.
3. Enter the e-mail address associated with your CNET TechTracker account.
4. Fill in the "Subject" and "Details" section with a description of your query or issue.
5. From the "Category" drop-down menu, choose the "CNET TechTracker" option.
6. Click the "Continue..." button.
7. Be sure to click the "Finish Submitting Question" button if none of the suggested links in the pop-up window help resolve your issue.

Thanks,
Jen
CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
Followed Steps
by elstaci / June 2, 2012 8:59 AM PDT

I opened the Options menu and went to Applications. CBSITT is indicating that CNET TechTracker is default. I will try again to download from TechTracker to see if it continues next time I have a software to update.

Jen thank you for your help with this problem.

Ellis

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.