Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Firefox on Windows 7

by Art Keetra / March 5, 2012 7:04 AM PST

Dell Inspiron 1545
Firefox 10
Windows 7

I am experiencing difficulties when re-opening F'fox. You close it on the shortcut, that works fine, but, when you want to re-open it it informs you that it is still running, but it isn't, or there's nothing to indicate it is. The delay can be a good few seconds at best, with up to a couple of minutes. Sometimes I have re-start the pc.
I've reinstalled to no avail. Any advice please.

Art Keetra has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox on Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox on Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Art Keetra

Collapse -
As the others have said ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 5, 2012 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: Firefox on Windows 7

Firefox often does this while cleaning up after itself and one of the processes responsible is named plugin-container.exe which, depending on the exact plug-ins you have installed and enabled can take a few minutes.

If it takes more than 3-6 minutes and other processes aren't using the CPU to any extent you might try killing firefox.ece and plugin-continer.exe manually via your TaskManager.

Collapse -
Firefox in Windows
by Art Keetra / March 5, 2012 10:42 PM PST

Cheers guys, much appreciated.
I suspect it is a plugin as the problem is relatively recent.

Collapse -
F'fox on W'dows 7
by Art Keetra / March 6, 2012 2:34 AM PST

Issue resolved, it appeared to be an out of date plugin.
Many thanks chaps.

Collapse -
It's Usually Related to Add-ons
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 5, 2012 7:29 AM PST

I also have seen similar, but generally, it's only a few seconds.. On a few of my customer's computers, if they close FF 10 after viewing Adobe documents, or Flash videos, or something similar from within the browser, then it tends to take longer for FF to close out. Of course, slower computers with small amounts of RAM may take longer to close-out running programs as well..

I'm not sure how you fix that except to make the problem known to the folks at Mozilla.....or.... disable all unnecessary add-ons within the FF user interface.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
It happens
by Jimmy Greystone / March 5, 2012 8:46 AM PST

It happens, though usually it's a once every so many blue moons kind of thing. Griff's advice is pretty good, and I'd just add to that now is as good a time as any to audit your extensions and plugins, decide whether or not you really need all of them. If not, get rid of them.

And as a temporary workaround, you can always use task manager to forcefully kill the firefox process. Just don't be too quick on the trigger, since as Grif mentions, there are legitimate "tidying up" tasks programs tend to do when shut down. The exact amount of time you should wait depends on the particulars of your system, but I'd say 5 minutes is a good general cutoff point. If, after 5 minutes, it's still going... That's USUALLY a long enough good-faith length of time to wait.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.