Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

Resolved Question

Firefox/Chrome will not open after virus removal

by peachfizztea / November 6, 2011 11:07 PM PST

My laptop was recently infected with a privacy.exe virus that launched a fake security offer to purchase "Privacy Protection". I knew it was a virus, and took measures to remove the virus. I also made sure it was removed by trying another way to remove and finding no residual files left. I ran multiple scans, and I'm fairly confident that it's gone.

peachfizztea has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox/Chrome will not open after virus removal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox/Chrome will not open after virus removal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by peachfizztea

Collapse -
Privacy Protection
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 7, 2011 4:38 AM PST
Collapse -
Still does not work
by peachfizztea / November 7, 2011 7:00 AM PST
In reply to: Privacy Protection

Unfortunately, I have already done the Privacy Protection removal, to the tee. And, I am unable to open Firefox/Chrome, so I cannot get to my Tools or Options and alter LAN or proxy settings, unless there is a way of doing this that does not require the browser window to show up.

Collapse -
Firefox Safe Mode
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 7, 2011 7:51 PM PST
In reply to: Still does not work

Next step. Try opening Firefox in its Safe Mode configuration, explained here;
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe%20Mode

Disable all add-ons and all toolbars and see if Firefox works in that mode.

If it does, then you will need to test which add-on or toolbar is causing the problem.

I can't say about Chrome but I am guessing that the malware isn't completely removed and you may have to repeat the steps in that malware removal guidance more than once.

Mark

Collapse -
Still no luck
by peachfizztea / November 8, 2011 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: Firefox Safe Mode

Well, because I cannot see a browser in normal mode, I restarted in safe mode (with networking) and opened up Firefox, converted to safe mode and disabled my add-ons. I then restarted my computer in normal mode, and Firefox still does not show me a browser. I'm not sure if my settings carry over from safe mode to normal mode, but it's the only way I can get to the browser.

Collapse -
Ahh
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 8, 2011 3:54 AM PST
In reply to: Still no luck

Sorry but I said start Firefox in it's Safe Mode, not to restart the computer in Safe Mode. Two different things.

If Firefox won't start at all, even in its own Safe Mode, then it is corrupted and needs reinstalling.

Mark

Collapse -
System recovery?
by peachfizztea / November 9, 2011 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: Ahh

I definitely got what you were saying about Firefox in Safe Mode, but Firefox won't even start, so yes, it is probably corrupted. But the chances that Google Chrome is ALSO corrupt? Eh, I ran a full scan and there were some red flags with some corrupt Java downloader. That's been removed as well. But, again, removing and re-installing both browsers is still not working. Normal Firefox does start fine with the computer itself is in Safe Mode, but Firefox in general (and thus, converting it into Safe Mode) is not an option when the computer is NOT in safe mode.

Collapse -
Good luck with the System Recovery
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 9, 2011 7:39 PM PST
In reply to: System recovery?

and also with your medical training.

My Knowledge of laptops is minimal so I would suggest you create a new post, either in;

Laptop Buying Advice forum, or the more general

Computer Help

Note the Sticky thread at the top of the Laptop Buying Advice forum, "CNET Laptop Chooser. College Too!". Hopefully that might give some pointers.

Mark

Collapse -
Found the problem!
by peachfizztea / November 13, 2011 11:52 AM PST

Hi, Mark!

Collapse -
Glad you got it sorted
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 13, 2011 7:52 PM PST
In reply to: Found the problem!

and thanks for returning to let us know.

Mark

Collapse -
question...
by saiyangal99 / December 4, 2011 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: Found the problem!

peachfizztea...
Im having this same exact problem right now, and ive done everything this forum said, but nothing is working. can i ask you what anti-virus software you were using. it might get my firefox to work if that's how you solved the problem

Collapse -
Information on removal
by peachfizztea / December 4, 2011 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: question...

Okay, well! I followed these direction to the tee:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-privacy-protection

That guarantees that the PP virus is removed. But, along with that, I realized that my Microsoft Security Essentials did not a definitions update, and so because of that, even if another virus was there, it couldn't detect it, because it wasn't updated on all of the new ways certain viruses looked. After I updated my definitions and ran a FULL SCAN on my computer (took all night--I ran it before I went to bed), and in the morning, MSE found some corrupted files associated with Java, I think--or some software/plugin that Firefox and Chrome need to run, but IE and Opera do not. Once I removed those, I re-installed both of those browsers (I had COMPLETELY removed them before--no saved bookmarks/websites/etc), and they worked! Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.