Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.go

by ekb / January 20, 2006 5:24 AM PST

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.googleadservices.com. Neither can IE or Opera. Nor can they open any other click through sites.

I appreciate all the comments in the thread saying why this is a good thing, however, I consider it a problem because I am morally opposed to allowing a hunk of aluminum and silicon to dictate what I can and can't access and, frankly, because with Avast and Spybot and the lastest Microsoft whatever anti-spyware running I feel halfway protected against viruses, trojans and spyware.

So here's the situation. I have tried visiting googleleadservices with all the protection programs on and all of them off, the results are the same. I've tried it running the browsers through a proxy and directly through the router and the results are the same. There is another one other computer on the netowrk. It runs the same version of XP (Service Pack 1,) anti-virus and browsers and it connects to leadservices and other click throughs fine, so I can't believe the problem's in the router settings.

Of course, I don't really need to connect to click through ads, but the fact that I can't is driving me nuts. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.go
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.go
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Possible That Addie Has Been Entered to Your '' Hosts''...
by tobeach / January 20, 2006 2:16 PM PST

list of sites to block or deny?? Especially now that Google & Msn are chasing the same ad dollars?
Spybot Bad Download Blocker stopping (in I.E.) (Active-X ads)silently?
If you're launching from a "Bookmark" in FF, could its address have become corrupted ? Has site changed it's ending lately say from .HTML to .Php or other?
Firefox privacy or cookie block settings set too high? Or....in site list?
Just guesses, some worth checking against settings/lists in other computer? G' Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Just Saw This From Another Thread.... Have you been getting
by tobeach / January 20, 2006 3:00 PM PST

pop-ups (especially while off line)? Possibly you have pop-up blocking enabled by 1 or more of your programs?
I noted about 1/3 (?) of way down page, part of the description for Elitebar was that it specifically blocked access to "Google" (& I suspect Google Ads even more so!!).Additionally it has some activities similar to a rootkit (removing it's name from registry). You could check out this freeware site to see if it rings any bells. May not hurt to try a scan.
I've decided to download both V_212 & the setup.exe and save in my docs in case of future need.:
http://www.simplytech.it/ETRemover/index_e.htm
Just a thought. Enjoy Grin

Collapse -
Doesn't work
by jdbell63 / February 18, 2006 3:48 AM PST

Thanks for the tip. It didn't work. Not just a Firefox problem but I get the same thing with Explorer.

Collapse -
by b1vjcb93 / April 28, 2008 5:32 PM PDT
Collapse -
No problem going with Firefox to.......
Collapse -
by b1vjcb93 / April 29, 2008 9:30 AM PDT

The web address was in my hosts file
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
Jumpin bummer.Anyway in case this happens to someone else they might wanna check this file.Thanx

Newf51

Collapse -
(NT) Good to see, you found the "problem" !
Collapse -
(NT) No Problems At That Site Here...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 29, 2008 7:17 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.