Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

Firefox Browser Not Closing Properly

by moranacus / August 21, 2009 6:50 AM PDT

I'm having a problem with the Firefox browser not closing properly.
I click on the X in the top right to close the browser and it close but sometimes the hard drive light is staying on. If I bring up the task manger it shows that the firefox.exe is still running.
I then have to end the process in the task manager or I can't open the browser.
Even when I do that it either brings up the last webpage I was at or says that its embarrassed and wants to know if I want to bring up the last website I was at or start a new session. Turning off the computer doesn't help this either.
When I turned on the computer this morning it asked me if I wanted to go to the last website I was at before I turned off the computer or start a new session. Anyone have an idea whats causing this????

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox Browser Not Closing Properly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox Browser Not Closing Properly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A couple of ideas.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 21, 2009 11:28 PM PDT

I would review your add-ons, and see if any are causing any problems.

Starting Firefox in its Safe Mode might be a good way to check. That starts FF will all add-ons disabled. If that halts the problem, then you can decide how to check which add-on is causing the problem.

Firefox in Safe Mode - In Windows go to Start > Run, type in firefox -safe-mode and click OK. The space between firefox and -safe-mode is important.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then may be your Firefox profile has become corrupt. See the post # 2 in John Wilkinson's Sticky Post for options how to repair Firefox;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6620_102-0.html?threadID=247371&tag=forums06;forum-threads

Mark

Collapse -
No Safe Mode
by moranacus / August 22, 2009 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: A couple of ideas.

I did what you said but Firefox doesn't run in SAFE MODE. All the
ADD-ONS are still there.

Collapse -
That surprises me.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: No Safe Mode

Just to check. I didn't mean to boot up the computer into Safe Mode, just to open Firefox in it's own Safe Mode configuration using that Run command.

If that failed, then you have the other choices of trying Firefox with all the add-ons disabled, then adding them back in, or trying a repair using John's Sticky post guidelines.

Mark

Collapse -
What Happens
by moranacus / August 22, 2009 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: That surprises me.

What happens to programs like Google Toolbar and RoboForm if I have to uninstall and reinstall Firefox????

Collapse -
That's What I Did
by moranacus / August 22, 2009 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: That surprises me.

I didn't boot up the computer. I just did the Firefox Safe Mode.
Also, I thought Firefox is suppose to be such a secure browser.
I stopped using Internet Explorer because it had gotten corrupted
then Firefox gets corrupted.

Collapse -
Corruption is usually caused by malware.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 7:53 PM PDT
In reply to: That's What I Did

If you are seeing both browsers getting corrupted, then its time to tackle this on your machine I think.

I would download, install, run and update, then perform a full scan with the free version of Malwarebyte's Antimalware.

Many also suggest scanning with SUPERAntispyware. I haven't used it myself, but I hear good results from it.

Mark

Collapse -
Sorry I forgot, about RoboForm and the Google toolbar.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 7:56 PM PDT

That Google toolbar will get removed if you reinstall Firefox.

I can't be sure about RoboForm, but my guess is that as it is a stand-alone application it will not be affected. I won't stand by that though, and you will need to check this out at the RoboForm web site for yourself.

Mark

Collapse -
That Was
by moranacus / August 23, 2009 4:16 AM PDT

Internet Explorer got corrupted quite awhile ago and my computer
has been fixed since then.

Collapse -
Just tried it
by Xander_Bishop / March 13, 2010 1:52 PM PST

Well I was having the "browser not closing and have to go into control manager and close it myself before starting it up again" problem myself so I thought I look it up. As it was mentioned, that the add-ons could be the problem. Just off a hunch, I saw the add-on "winamp" I disabled it and then uninstalled it from the add-on window and now it's doing fine.

As a thought or a possibility, what I think it is, either there's too many add-ons or (if you have it on there) could be winamp itself, or could be just a single one. You can disable and then enable them just try it out that way and see which ones work. If nothing does I don't know.....Good luck and thnx Mark for giving out a tip for me

Collapse -
not closing properly
by bwls-d7 / September 12, 2010 6:58 AM PDT

It appears that it is pass the buck time on this topic. It doesn't happen on any other program so the issue of malware is highly unlikely. It is a firefox issue and it needs to be fixed. Telling us to open the task manager and close the process is just not satisfactory. It is a cop-out.

Watch for an update soon to 'fix' this issue.

Collapse -
Firefox vs. Winamp
by Showtime-Productions / March 15, 2011 12:53 PM PDT

I've been having the same problem with my FF not closing down all the way. Had to go into my task manager to shut it down. Once I started reading through this thread it got me to thinking. I went to my add-ons and disabled winamp then closed FF. It reopened just like it was supposed to.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.