Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Firefox 3 and IE7 will not play Youtube video

by Kiriakos / July 1, 2009 6:49 PM PDT

Both browsers will not play YouTube and other videos. Avant browser will do.
I upgraded Firefox to newer 3.5 and still won't play. If something was missing from old Firefox 3 why the new installation of FF 3.5 wouldn't take care of that?
Operating system is Win XP.
Thanks for any help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox 3 and IE7 will not play Youtube video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox 3 and IE7 will not play Youtube video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Did you install Flash from Adobe?
by Kees Bakker / July 1, 2009 6:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yes I did
by Kiriakos / July 1, 2009 6:58 PM PDT

I just did it but no change
Thanks

Collapse -
If something was missing from old Firefox 3
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 8:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes I did

What does that mean, did your previous version of FF play YouTube videos?

What happens when you attempt to play YouTube videos in FF and IE? Any error messages?

Did IE ever play YouTube videos? Which version of IE?

What Firefox Add-ons are installed? If "NoScript" is installed, check the NoScript icon, (the capital letter "S"), at the bottom right of the browser window.

I have FF 3.5 myself and have no problems with YouTube.

Mark

Collapse -
I'll try to answer your questions
by Kiriakos / July 1, 2009 9:54 PM PDT

1. Firefox 3 was playing at the beginning and then something went or done wrong and stopped playing Youtube. I thought by upgrading to v. 3.5 whatever was crooked will be reinstalled thru the new version and will correct itself. It was not.
2. No error messages, just a blank BLACK Youtube screen
3. I install Flash Player for Firefox but then I do not find it in the Tools/Add-ons tab. Obviosously it will not install for some reasons.
4. Flash Player for IE will install successfully but still it will not play Youtube. Black screen showing only.

I am dispaired, lucky that the Avant browser works

Thanks

Collapse -
What I would do then.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 9:59 PM PDT

I would completely uninstall Shockwave and Flash, and reinstall.

Adobe has guidance and a special uninstaller for that.

Adobe Flash Uninstaller.

Get Adobe Flash Player.

Perhaps a reboot of the computer after the uninstall, just to make sure any non-relevant registry entries are removed.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks Mark but.....
by Kiriakos / July 1, 2009 10:31 PM PDT
In reply to: What I would do then.

....no lack.
Maybe the Java Script is the problem? And what can I do about it?

Collapse -
Some good news
by Kiriakos / July 2, 2009 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Mark but.....

I managed by unistalling and reinstalling the Flash player to have IE play the videos. No such luck with Firefox.

Collapse -
Here is a finding
by Kiriakos / July 2, 2009 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Some good news

When I try to install the Flash Player for Firefox clicking the download button it says that: "This object has been blocked". So it doesn't take me to the download page but it blocks it. The result is that I cannot download and install it properly thru Firefox.
What blocks it in Firefox is now the question. In the Options/Content the Block pop-up windows is unchecked.
Help please!

Collapse -
Re: firefox blocking download
by Kees Bakker / July 2, 2009 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Here is a finding

Seems to be a quite common situation. See http://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+%22this+object+has+been+blocked%22

It might be a problem (or setting) from one of your add-ons. Try to deactivate them all.

If neither the links nor running without add-ons don't help, uninstall Firefox and delete your profile. Be sure to backup your favorites and maybe your addons (use FEBE addon for that) before you delete your profile. Then reinstall a fresh download.

Kees

Collapse -
Problem solved
by Kiriakos / July 2, 2009 12:47 AM PDT

It seems the culprit was Zone Alarm

I followed the following instructions from one of the google stuff you sent me

Zone Alarm Pro

Double-click the Zone Alarm icon in the system tray in the lower right corner of the screen. With ZA open, click on "Privacy" button in the left hand part of the screen. Then click on the "Main" tab at the upper right. Once you're in, look in the third section titled "Mobile Code Control". Click the "Custom" button in this section. Four menu items should appear. The last one should say something like "Block mime-type integrated objects". Uncheck the box by this item, then click the "OK" button at the bottom of the dialog box. It should not be necessary to disable any other ZA privacy settings

Unquote

This allowed me to download and install Flash Player and Firefox is playing Youtube at last.

Thanks a lot

Collapse -
Thanks for telling.
by Kees Bakker / July 2, 2009 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem solved

I couldn't have guessed that. I have free Zonealarm firewall and never had any of those problems with installing Flash.

Kees

Collapse -
Yep, good work
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 2, 2009 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for telling.

I have the paid version of ZA, but I never thought to look in there because I don't use any of the Privacy options.

Just goes to show though, all too often it is a firewall issue.

Well done on finding the problem.

Mark

Collapse -
No privacy button in new ZA Security Suite version 9.1
by internetexplorer / January 20, 2010 5:21 PM PST
In reply to: Problem solved

I wanted so badly to solve my problem which seemed the same as yours so I tried to follow your directions, but lo and behold they have taken the privacy features out of the latest rendition of ZASS, so I can't. It would probably have been futile anyway since IE8 works just fine on You Tube which is the site that I can't get to work in Firefox 3.5
If anybody has any further ideas please feel free to pass them along. I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe Flash 10.0 and have checked the settings for NoScript and JavaScript, with no luck. One thing I have noticed that seems odd, though, is that the installed Flash add-on for Firefox 3.5 on my machine is called Shockwave Flash.

Collapse -
To mkansaparga.
by Kees Bakker / August 31, 2009 4:58 PM PDT

Please repost without all those links. I had to delete your post now.

And why not try our Coding forum? If your IE plays all other Youtube video's and not the one on your page one (and your Firefox does both) it's not a browser problem, but a problem on your page.

Kees

Collapse -
IE8 plays flash but Firefox 3.5 does not; any clue?
by internetexplorer / January 20, 2010 10:34 PM PST
In reply to: To mkansaparga.

As above, since one browser shows flash but not the other, it can't be my ZoneAlarm, right? I've checked the JavaScript settings and NoScript as suggested in other posts, but still no go. I tried Firefox SafeMode but it still doesn't work there either. I disabled every plugin except Shockwave Flash and it once again does not work. I'm open to ideas.

Collapse -
Well.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 21, 2010 4:35 AM PST
Collapse -
IE8 plays flash but Firefox 3.5 does not; any clue?
by internetexplorer / January 21, 2010 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: To mkansaparga.

As above, since one browser shows flash but not the other, it can't be my ZoneAlarm, right? I've checked the JavaScript settings and NoScript as suggested in other posts, but still no go. I tried Firefox SafeMode but it still doesn't work there either. I disabled every plugin except Shockwave Flash and it once again does not work. I'm open to ideas.

Collapse -
FIREFOX 3.6
by GODhack / January 21, 2010 5:47 AM PST

3.6 try

Collapse -
your suggestion re problem with flash in ff 3.5
by internetexplorer / January 22, 2010 3:21 PM PST
In reply to: FIREFOX 3.6

Ah, at last--something I haven't already tried. Normally I steer away from beta progs but in this case I might just give it a try. Thanks for the idea.

Collapse -
Firefox 3.6 didn't make flash work either
by internetexplorer / January 23, 2010 3:11 PM PST

Even though it's no longer a beta(!), FF 3.6 had no effect on problem.

Collapse -
No, I didn't expect it to.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 23, 2010 7:26 PM PST

Upgrading Firefox often does not fix such problems. Any new Firefox versions replaces the existing version and carries over many files and settings, so you just bring forward any existing problems.

I didn't see in any of your posts where you actually checked your ZoneAlarm settings, or where you had tried the Adobe Flash uninstaller, restarted the computer, then re-installed Flash.

We need to try other simpler things first before we move onto other possibilities.

Mark

Collapse -
Further info re what I have tried so far
by internetexplorer / January 24, 2010 4:12 PM PST

I have uninstalled Adobe Flash and reinstalled version 10 plus I later did it all over again except I put in version 9 from Adobe archives. I checked every ZoneAlarm Security Suite setting I could find, which does not include any Privacy options because I can't find any on my updated version of ZASS (I seem to remember some on 8--or was it 7--before they downloaded and I installed version 9.) I have gone through all of the preferences/options for NoScript without noticing any effect on Flash, other than the obvious one of blocking it unless scripts are allowed for the specific site or for all sites in general. I tried using my old default profile in Firefox, again with no effect on YouTube flash. IE8, Opera and Google Chrome all show said video with no problem at all. I'm tearing my hair out just trying to think of someplace else to check. Maybe I need to bite the bullet and uninstall Firefox and reinstall? That's about the only thing I've come up with but not tried yet for fear of losing some or all of my settings, bookmarks, addons, etc. But unless you can help me find some other simpler possibility, I suppose I ought to bite the bullet and do it--but should I use Add/Remove, FF's uninstall, Revo, Ashampoo or some other approach to the task? Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
That may have to be the next step.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 24, 2010 6:04 PM PST

And I sympathise with your reluctance to uninstall and reinstall Firefox.

I have to say now that I am stumped. I take it that when you reinstalled the Flash plugin to Firefox, the Adobe test also failed? There's usually a test page on the Adobe download page that shows it working.

You mentioned in a previous post that your Firefox shows this add-on as Shockwave Flash. I can confirm that is the same with me. But in that Add-on window, can you also check the Extensions tab? I have another Adobe component in mine called

"Adobe DLM (powered by getPlus(R)). The getPlus(R) Download-, Upload- and Installation Manager is a sophisticated tool for an efficient distribution of digital goods"

That means nothing to me, but it appeared when I installed Flash on this new laptop. May be you are missing something?

If you do decide to uninstall and reinstall Firefox, John Wilkinson has some guidance in his sticky thread here;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6620_102-0.html?messageID=2484636#2484636

I would just add a couple of steps to that.

1] When you have completely removed Firefox, reboot, (restart), the computer. This will update the registry.

2] Download and install CCleaner. Beware that this free utility does not attempt to install any 3rd party things like the Yahoo toolbar, during its installation. When installed, run it and on the "Cleaner" page run the 'default' temp and unused file analyser and let it delete all temp files. There is no need to use it's Registry cleaner. But before cleaning, head over to the Cookies section (Options > Cookies), and save any cookies from the other browsers you want to keep.

3] Reboot again and reinstall Firefox.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
No, the crazy thing is that it passed the Adobe flash test!
by internetexplorer / January 24, 2010 9:12 PM PST

I'm hoping that little detail may provide you a clue to some obscure solution to this riddle, who knows? I sure don't know why it would pass the test and then fail on YouTube to even load the flash video, let alone play it. Yes, I have the Adobe DLM and it is not diabled. Thanks for the link and your suggested enhanced steps. Unless I can come up some other solution, I guess it's time to bite the bullet, but I'll wait to see if the above brings any help out of the blue, maybe.

Collapse -
Is the problem with 'all' YouTube videos?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 25, 2010 4:31 AM PST

If it is just one, or a few, can you give examples so I can test on my FF? If it is all, tell us what you see when you goto to YouTube and attempt to play a video, eg, right click the video area and what do you see? I was going to ask if YouTube is banned where you live, but I see that YouTube works in IE and other browsers. I know when I visit YouTube that I always have to tell NoScript to temporarily allow all scripts, but again, I see you have tried that. Do you have a YouTube account? If so, what happens when you login? One more idea from me, then I could only suggest a reinstall of FF. What about a bad or corrupt cookie? I haven't heard of such a thing preventing YouTube videos from playing, but I don't see anything left. Is FF set to allow 3rd party cookies? {Strange, I no longer see any options in FF 3.6 to allow/disallow 3rd party cookies}. It might be worth a try in desperation to use a utility like CCleaner to remove all of Firefox's cookies and start again./ But that would mean you would have to login in to sites like this again. Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.