Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Firefox 3.6.6 Crashing Right and Left

by johnellenbe / June 28, 2010 10:33 PM PDT

I have a few Windows 7 machines that were upgraded to Firefox 3.6.6 over the weekend and they're all browser crashing like crazy. For example just going to the NY Times home page will bring it down. Pretty much any popular content page will crash it within seconds. I had to switch to Chrome to get any browsing done.

Seems strange nobody is reporting this. It is by far the worst browser stability I've ever seen (and I remember Mozilla V1).

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox 3.6.6 Crashing Right and Left
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox 3.6.6 Crashing Right and Left
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fine here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2010 10:35 PM PDT

I wonder what plug ins are present on these machines.

Collapse -
FF vs. AVG
by flingwing / July 3, 2010 8:39 PM PDT

I think I can add something to the Forum?s ?corporate memory? of this Firefox problem. If you are using AVG with Firefox, I suggest you keep reading <grin>.

Yesterday, I downloaded and began using Firefox 3.6.6. Because it is the newest and, hopefully, an improved version of FF, I figured FF would have finally solved its long-running aversion to the AVG anti-virus program.

More exactly, it?s the ?Link Scanner? function of AVG. I say FireFox won?t run without crashing if you use AVG?s Link Scanner function. This was discussed in CNET?s AVG forum thread ?AVG: why??. You can go to my response ?Question: Why is AVG not compatible with Firefox?? at <;lst;5#3308914>

Months ago, as soon as I disabled my AVG?s Link Scanner function, my FireFox crashes *stopped*, cold turkey. The positive change in Firefox?s behavior was as if I?d flipped a switch. Since then, I have not suffered any more back-to-back FireFox crashes. Until yesterday, that is <g>.

After loading the new FireFox 3.6.6, I again enabled my AVG Link Scanner function. Like I said, I gambled that FireFox, Inc. would have fixed this obvious problem by now.

WRONG! An hour or so after I began using FF 3.6.6. with Link Scanner, FF crashed. Ugh! Deja vu, all over again. But I kept on going thinking the initial crash could have just been an anomaly. Not so: several hours later, FF crashed again. Soon after that, I turned off my computer for the night.

This morning, less than 30 minutes after starting my computer, Firefox crashed again. That was it for me. I immediately *disabled* the AVG Link Scanner function and now, six hours later, I have not (yet) suffered another crash. I can only hope that this problem remains the old bugaboo, ?Link Scanner vs. FF? and not something new. Better the devil we know . . . <g>.

So, if you are having crash problems with Firefox, including the newest version, try disabling your AVG's Link Scanner function. If you don?t use AVG, I?m sorry, I don?t have another ?quick fix?. Good luck, though.

Collapse -
firebox crash 3.6.6
by hisagar123 / March 27, 2013 7:51 AM PDT

After I installed firebox 3.6.6, it is crashing when I try to open pages with videos/flashes. It never happened in previous versions.

Collapse -
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: firebox crash 3.6.6

This thread is nearly 3 years old. Firefox has moved along since then. Why such an old version?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.