Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Firefox 3.5.7 Release. Vulnerability fixes and Proxy fix.

by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 6, 2010 1:51 AM PST

Mozilla releases Firefox 3.5.7

The H Security News reports the release of version 3.5.7 of the Firefox browser;

The Mozilla developers have released version 3.5.7 of their open source Firefox web browser to address several bugs. The latest update fixes a problem in conjunction with HTTP proxies that was introduced in the previous version.

By closing a vulnerability (NTLM replay attack) in connection with authentication, version 3.5.6 of Firefox refused to work with proxy servers that support NTLM authentication. The problem prevented some users on corporate networks from accessing the internet. The cause of the issue was apparently a failure in DNS resolution. The developers note that they have also corrected a problem with how background notifications for major updates were being presented to users.

Mozilla has also released an update for the 3.0.x branch of Firefox. Firefox 3.0.17 is available to download and addresses the same issues.

Note: Firefox 3.0.x will be maintained with security and stability updates until January 2010. All users are strongly encouraged to upgrade to Firefox 3.5.

More details about the release, including a list of known issues, can be found in the release notes. Firefox 3.5.7 is available to download for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Firefox binaries are released under the Mozilla Firefox End-User Software License Agreement and the source code is released under disjunctive tri-licensing that includes the Mozilla Public Licence, GPLv2 and LGPLv2.1.

Alternatively you can goto Help in Firefox, and click the "Check for Updates" option.

While my own Firefox upgraded to version 3.5.7 without problem, it is always a good idea to back up your Bookmarks before making any changes.

{Thanks to Carol~ for passing this new information on to me}

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox 3.5.7 Release. Vulnerability fixes and Proxy fix.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox 3.5.7 Release. Vulnerability fixes and Proxy fix.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
fix for disappearing bookmarks ?
by w t s / February 10, 2010 6:00 AM PST

I hope version 3.5.7 fixes a problem i am having ever since i went 3.6 which i am sorry i trashed the 3.5.

At the most odd times when FFox 3.6 is running ( SnowLeopard ) all my bookmarks disappear. When I go to the menu Bookmarks the drop down menu shows all the folders but the folders are blank.

What's that all about.

Collapse -
Hmm, interesting.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 10, 2010 6:58 PM PST

I have no experience with SnowLeopard or any Mac, although I would not have thought this was an OS issue.

When this happens, are you able to get the bookmarks back?

In Windows Mozilla stores bookmarks as a bookmark.html file in the Mozilla/Firefox/Profile group of sub-folders. But there are also backup bookmark files with names like bookmarks-2010-02-10.json, where the date is the date the backup file was created.

Do you have those files in your MAC folder and file directory? If so you can Restore the bookmarks from Firefox's Organise Bookmarks > Import and Export > Restore option.

That doesn't solve the problem of the bookmarks disappearing though. I can only think of two possibilities, either a bad Firefox add-on, or a corrupt Firefox profile.

For bad add-ons this would mean a process of elimination, but for repairing Firefox, including profile problems, have a look at John (Wilkinson's), Forum Sticky post here;

I hope that helps.

Collapse -
you should work for mozilla
by w t s / February 11, 2010 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: Hmm, interesting.

Many many thanks.

I did a somewhat variation on your instructions.

First I dragged the FireFox Folder out of the myUserfoler/Library/ApplicationSupport/FireFox out to the desk top.

Then i used an application delete programme which clears out all the files but allowed me to hang on to the FF folder on my desktop.

Then i downloaded a fresh copy of FFox ( using another browser ).

Launched the fresh FFox and then followed your instructions for importing/restoring bookmarks by going to the FFox folder on my desktop.

Now i hope all will be OK.

Thanks again for the heads up instruction.

Collapse -
Glad you got it sorted,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 11, 2010 6:02 AM PST

and I hope it doesn't misbehave again.

I have no idea what you did! Devil

If we attempted to drag program or data folders like that in Windows, the application would break. So I'm impressed.

Collapse -
by w t s / February 11, 2010 9:48 AM PST

Albeit, you do have to know which files to drag/drop so as to not create havoc on a restart.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.