Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Firefox 2.0 goes gold...

by John.Wilkinson / October 23, 2006 2:42 AM PDT

Mozilla is not expected to 'officially' launch Firefox 2.0 until tomorrow, but it has indeed been uploaded to their servers and made available for download. It is recommended that you download Firefox 2.0, which will overwrite any previous versions but keep your bookmarks and preferences.

* The ability to resume a session upon a crash or accidental closure means that not only are the websites reloaded but any information you entered into text fields is also restored in most cases.

* Built-in spell checking based on the Spellbound Development extension means that you no longer have an excuse for misspelling words here in the forums. Happy

* Built-in phishing protection based on the previous Google extension.

* Enhanced tabbing not only adds an ''X'' to each individual tab but also lets you scroll left and right between multiple tabs and also reopen tabs that are accidentally closed.

* Numerous other graphical and under-the-hood changes.

NOTE: Not all extensions are compatible with Firefox 2.0 yet, so they will be disabled by default. More popular extensions, such as AdBlock Plus, have been compatible since early in the beta cycle, though.

Direct links:
* Firefox 2.0 for Windows
* Firefox 2.0 for Mac OS X
* Firefox 2.0 for Linux

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox 2.0 goes gold...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox 2.0 goes gold...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tweak: Hide the Go button...
by John.Wilkinson / October 23, 2006 2:57 AM PDT

By default the Go button is now 'attached' to the address bar and cannot be removed. However, you can perform the following tweak to hide it:

* Type about:config into the address bar.
* Scroll down until you find the entry browser.urlbar.hideGoButton.
* Double-click the entry to alternate between true (hidden) and false (displayed).

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
Tweak: Manipulate the 'Close Tab' buttons...
by John.Wilkinson / October 23, 2006 3:25 AM PDT

By default Firefox 2.0 has an ''x'' on every tab, whereas in previous versions there was a single tab at the right end of the tab bar. This is fully customizable, however:

* Scroll down to the entry browse.tabs.closeButtons.
* Double-click the entry to modify it.

The values are as follow:
* 0 will place an ''X'' on the current tab only.
* 1 will place an ''X'' on all tabs. (Default setting)
* 2 will completely remove all close tab buttons.
* 3 will place a single ''X'' at the right of the tab bar.

Other ways to close tabs:
* Right-click a tab and select Close Tab.
* Go File->Close Tab.
* Press Ctrl + W.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
Thanks John...
by Larry38 / October 23, 2006 4:55 AM PDT

I'm checking it out now.

Collapse -
john how does the auto speel
by Mark5019 / October 23, 2006 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks John...

ceeker work?

Collapse -
Mee Tinks it Doon't Wook
by Larry38 / October 23, 2006 7:19 AM PDT

It's supposed to be built in (I think)

Must not be working?

Collapse -
Look for the red marks...
by John.Wilkinson / October 23, 2006 7:22 AM PDT

As you type misspelled words are underlined in red. You can then right-click on one and see a list of possible corrections, or add the word to the dictionary. There's no auto-correct, though, so you have to look for the red marks from the teacher. Happy

P.S. Spell Cherker is built into Firefox 2.0 and is enabled by default.

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / October 23, 2006 7:37 AM PDT

spell works ty

Collapse -
Nott Workking ...
by Larry38 / October 23, 2006 7:43 AM PDT

It does work in the Message body, but not in Subject title.
I just tried itt. Itt has a red underline.

Collapse -
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle...
by glenn30 / October 23, 2006 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Nott Workking ...

It does work! Thanks Larry... just confirming your post. I like that Firefox 2.0 WinkGrin

Collapse -
I Like it Too....
by Larry38 / October 23, 2006 8:02 AM PDT

I just tried again, works fine in message body, but not in subject title.

Strange, looks like it should catch a misspelled word anyplace.
Think I'll go over to the FF Forums and see if anyone else has a problem.

Collapse -
The reason...
by John.Wilkinson / October 23, 2006 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: I Like it Too....

It's not a bug or incompatibility, Larry, it's just disabled by default. I just created another Firefox 2.0 Tip post that explains here.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
Just set mine to a value of 2...
by Larry38 / October 23, 2006 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: The reason...

I tried it and it works.

Thanks John.

PS You can delete my c&p post if you want to. I like the permanent fix you posted.

Collapse -
Tweak/Tip: Spell checking...
by John.Wilkinson / October 23, 2006 8:50 AM PDT

By default Firefox 2.0 spell-checks when you enter into text areas. However, it does not spell-check text fields, one-liners such as the Subject field here in the Cnet forums. This can be resoled with a tweak, though:

* Scroll down to the entry layout.spellcheckdefault.
* Double-click the entry to modify it.

The values are as follow:
* 0 disables spell checking.
* 1 spell-checks text areas only. (Default setting)
* 2 spell-checks all text fields, including Subject lines.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nice tip... and it works! Thanks John. :)
by glenn30 / October 23, 2006 9:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
by jprkenny / October 23, 2006 7:48 PM PDT

I have been on holidays for six days and haven't had a chance to see what's going on I just learned IE 7 has been released and haven't yet downloaded it and I only have Firefox RC 2 even though an RC 3 has been released. So what do I think of Firefox 2? Well although it has betters features like and RSS reader built in I would have been happier if they left the interface alone, I liked it before and now they changed it even though they didn't have to but I will definitely use Firefox 2, The spell checker I appreciate most.

I've also heard that Windows Vista might be delayed until November 8 but it hasn't been justified. What do you think about that.

Collapse -
Update: Firefox 2.0 Scheduled For Release on Tuesday
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 24, 2006 3:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
No, we have. Not. Released. Firefox. 2. Yet.
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 24, 2006 3:11 AM PDT

The Anti-release

# No, we have. Not. Released. Firefox. 2. Yet.
# When people link to bits directly on a random FTP mirror, they're doing a number of people harm including, quite possibly, themselves:

* Digg and Reddit posts linking to direct FTP mirrors could be costing the operators of those mirrors hundreds to thousands of dollars in bandwidth bills, or may cause them to crash by linking directly to them. This could cause them to "un-volunteer" their services as a mirror, making it even harder to obtain Firefox on release days.
* People posting direct link to FTP mirrors don't know if that mirror is a member of the Mozilla FTP Mirror Farm, or some random, unverified mirror. We work hard to verify that the mirrors in our farm are serving the same bits we released, and we cannot make the same claim about other mirrors that aren't part of our farm.

Collapse -
Does this mean if I downloaded FF
by EZRIDER714 / October 24, 2006 10:42 PM PDT

thru the link provided by John, that I need to take some action ie, uninstall and redownload?
Everything seems to be working fine.
All advise welcomed

Collapse -
Good question!
by glenn30 / October 24, 2006 11:17 PM PDT

Although I previously downloaded from the Firefox website on 06/24/2006, I downloaded again since there was so much controversy about the release date. I doubt it was really necessary but to be sure I went through the additional step.

I removed that version through add/remove and installed the approved release. Saw no difference and it kept all my tweaks from the previous install.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Correction! Date is 10/24/2006! Sorry about that!:(
by glenn30 / October 25, 2006 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Good question!
Collapse -
Glenn... I did the same thing last evening...
by Larry38 / October 25, 2006 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Good question!

Just to be on the safe side. I did't notice any changes either.

Collapse -
by John.Wilkinson / October 25, 2006 1:13 AM PDT

There is no need to uninstall and download Firefox again. Although Mozilla said that they 'cannot guarantee that the "leaked" version is hat which will be officially released,' it is indeed the same version. They have the same byte count, time stamp, etc. Their main goal was to discourage people from using the FTP links because they were not designed for heavy use whereas the main site, which was updated ~36 hours later, is.

No worries.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks John, thought so, but more at ease now
by EZRIDER714 / October 25, 2006 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: No...
Collapse -
I sure do miss..
by EdH / October 24, 2006 9:51 PM PDT

that extension that allows me to access my e-mail program (Thunderbird) instantly. I hope that gets updated.

Spellchecker is kind of neat.

Maybe it's me, but the new FF seems a little slower.

Collapse -
I Agree
by timwerx / October 24, 2006 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: I sure do miss..

I also used the button for mail access regularly and now miss it. I can see no reason for taking it away.

There should be this one iron-clad rule concerning all software: Work to improve and give more options (=freedoms), but never take away ones already given.

Collapse -
Siunce that's athird party extension....
by EdH / October 25, 2006 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: I Agree

I can only assume they just have not updated it for FF2. I hope they do so soon.

Meanwhile I just use the shortcut to T-bird in my Windows Taskbar.

Collapse -
You can get it back!
by Jane917 / October 25, 2006 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I Agree
Collapse -
Nice. Now if I could get the rest of my extensions back...
by EdH / October 25, 2006 8:41 PM PDT
In reply to: You can get it back!

I'd be happy. Especially BB Code. I NEED that.

Collapse -
Also miss BB Code...
by EdH / October 25, 2006 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: I sure do miss..

miss it a lot. Any substitutes out there?

The main thing I don't like about FF 2 is how many extensions are no longer supported. Hoping for updates soon.

Collapse -
FF Fan
by mikependlebury / October 26, 2006 10:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Also miss BB Code...

I too have grown to love FF and am just reading these threadsprior to upgrading to FF2. I seem to be having a "senior moment" please remind me what BB Code is.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.