Laptops forum

Question

finding stolen laptop and serial # help

by cachecreek / August 7, 2012 2:57 PM PDT

Pls excuse the lame question, but by diligent searching on the internet, I have learned things I didn't already know about tracking my stolen computer ... and am not willing to give up yet. Maybe someone in your community will give me information I haven't already pursued.

My ASUS laptop model K52F-A1 was stolen yesterday in N. California. I am searching sales sites such as Craigslist. Any other ideas here?

I've filed a police report and entered the computer on the stolen computer database. Any other ideas?

One specific problem is finding the serial number on the ASUS. My computer store found my date of purchase and model/make, but only knows part of the serial number, provided from their record of computers received from ASUS that month. The police want a complete serial number and ASUS isn't helpful. Any ideas on finding this?

Finally, I am using my dropbox software to watch and see if the IP address changes on this computer...that was an example of a tip I got on the internet.

Thanks for any help - and please don't scold me for leaving the laptop in my car - I already feel stupid about that.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: finding stolen laptop and serial # help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: finding stolen laptop and serial # help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Next time, Prey.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2012 1:21 AM PDT

Next time install this -> http://preyproject.com/

Sorry but I know of no way to get that information once it's gone.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Did you register the laptop with Asus?
by orlbuckeye / August 10, 2012 12:40 AM PDT

Typically the serial number is used to identify your laptop. One good thing is if it's registered and it's reported stolen if anyone uses support the laptop might be able to be tracked. They also have free software that can track stolen laptops on the internet.

Collapse -
Answer
I might have you laptop
by TiAraAbc / March 25, 2013 1:23 PM PDT

I found a laptop in NC and have been looking for the owners since! I hope you responsed so it can have a safe return!

Collapse -
was it an hp pavilion
by mejoebrian / July 19, 2013 7:33 AM PDT

was it an hp pavilion

Collapse -
Answer
I will scold about not registering with ASUS
by orlbuckeye / March 25, 2013 10:26 PM PDT

Thats why you should register ANY electronic device you purchase.When you register it its recorded by the vendor and it serves as an ID. Repair shops do also checks with vendors to verify the laptops serial numbers don't match stolen ones.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.