Phones forum

Finding my prepaid plan for my unlocked T-Mobile GalaxyS2

by sfriedman39 / May 1, 2013 7:49 AM PDT

I have a Galaxy S2 with T-Mobile, but we will be moving to A Costa Rica soon. I found that I can unlock it and purchase a sim card to work with it there, but am not sure what features will still work. I am most concerned about when we come back to the US. Can we purchase a prepaid sim card to work with it. It makes no sense to sign up with monthly plans when we will not be using it for more than a month.I'd like to keep just one mobile phone.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Finding my prepaid plan for my unlocked T-Mobile GalaxyS2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Finding my prepaid plan for my unlocked T-Mobile GalaxyS2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
This just in. Samsung app store looks to be trouble.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 10:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
Pay as yopu go plans in the US
by sfriedman39 / May 2, 2013 8:32 AM PDT

My concern is not how the phone will work in Costa Rica, but when I come back for short periods of time to the US what pay-as-you go plans will provide a sim card that will work with an unlocked Samsugn Galaxy 2S?

Collapse -
Nod to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2013 9:18 AM PDT

Around here my friends from overseas or next door use a few systems.

1. Some just get a ATT GoPhone. It's good for a very long time on a pay as you go plane. They get the 20 buck phone and charge it up cheap.
2. Some get a one month plan with Tmobile. Some restrictions there such as your credit card, address and such but you can talk to them. This is for GSM.
3. A few rare ones have CDMA phones, that's a tar pit but since someone had such they went to Cricket to flash the phone, use it and then have it flashed back home.

Keep in mind I don't rep for those companies.

Collapse -
If your GSM phone is unlocked...
by Pepe7 / May 3, 2013 2:12 AM PDT can use it with any of the prepaid GSM services in the US. Just obtain one of their SIM cards.

Collapse -
Bob gave you a riddle
by Pepe7 / May 1, 2013 2:24 PM PDT

I will speak English so you can actually help yourself (LOL) Wink

If you have completed your contract w/ T-Mobile, you are good to go. If they won't unlock it for you, you can find someone to do it locally or online for ~$35/ballpark. Your S2 does have the necessary GSM frequency bands for Costa Rica, and also UMTS-

The prepaid provider there you choose will dictate what services/data speeds/text messaging options you have available down there on that local network. Some of the apps may not work though (as Bob has hinted), but luckily, the Android marketplace is robust enough where there are plenty of substitutes in many cases. For example, one weather app stops updating, so you download another one (etc.).

A site to help you find a prepaid provider there-

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.