PC Hardware

General discussion

Finding my Display Adapter Hardware

by mseth / November 9, 2003 3:34 PM PST

Hi - I bought a second hand PC for my kids. It was completely cleaned and I have a WIN98se disk. now I have finished installing 98 I want to change the display settings as it's currently set on 16 color and 640x480 but it won't allow me to install anything other than the standard VGA driver. How can I find out what display adapter is in the computer as I'm trying to figure out if its a problem with 98 recognising it or if a need a new video card. The system I bought is a P3, 667mhz, 268RAM 7 10g HDD, so I can't imagine that the video card is that bad. Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Finding my Display Adapter Hardware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Finding my Display Adapter Hardware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Finding my Display Adapter Hardware
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2003 8:00 PM PST

You can try Belarc's Free Advisor to sniff out the make/model, but I just pull out the card and sit down with http://www.google.com and type in any identifying marks on said display card. I find the drivers fairly quickly with Google.

You'll also want to know that Windows (all versions) rarely will detect and install proper or uptodate drivers for hardware. Your inventory of the machine is crucial for happy operation.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Finding my Display Adapter Hardware
by JMarchi / November 9, 2003 9:32 PM PST

One easy way that will usually tell you what card you have is to bring up a DOS window and type these commands

DEBUG
-D C000:0
-D
-Q

Out to the far right it will show the brand and some model info about the card.

I have found that Belarc advisor is not really useful to do what you ask. It only seems to know what Windows knows and cannot detect what is actually there, at least on systems I have run it on where the Video was not detected by Windows it was unable to tell me anything useful at all, but the Debug command worked just fine.

Collapse -
Thanks for the Advice
by mseth / November 10, 2003 9:36 AM PST

Guys - Thanks for the tips I'll try them out tonight when I get home. - Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.