PC Hardware forum

Question

Finding a Replacement USB Mini Transceiver for Keyboard/Mou

by Newaygo1-22619364776977207349587995424770 / January 30, 2012 10:27 AM PST

I have a Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 Keyboard / Mouse and the Snap In Mini 2.4 Ghz Wireless USB Mini Transceiver is damaged. Microsoft does not sell just this part you have to buy a new combo set. Does any other brands have one that will work with this model and where might I buy one? Being it is very light duty it is fragile so I am wondering if it is worth finding one or is there a better system Wireless Keyboard / Mouse that is a bit more durable? I have gone thru 3 Microsoft models so far one had the space bar stop working, the next was the corded transceiver would come and go and now this. It is for home use mostly. Any suggestions? I am trying to keep it under 75.00 if possible I have spent about 325.00 on the three I have had... Buy would prefer to just buy a replacement tranceiver if there is such a thing that will work this this keyboard / mouse???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Finding a Replacement USB Mini Transceiver for Keyboard/Mou
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Finding a Replacement USB Mini Transceiver for Keyboard/Mou
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
ANYONE

Anyone use a wireless keyboard and mouse with a 2,4 ghx transceiver???

Collapse -
Even if you got one, I found no way to sync it to the KBD!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: ANYONE

It appears there is no parts for such a thing.

Collapse -
So much for durable products !!!

Well when I called Microsoft looking for a replacement Part they advise they don't sell just the Mini Transceiver but suggest I could buy another brand that would work but if I wanted a Mircosoft wireless keyboard and mouse I would have to buy a complete new combo... But since they don't sell just the part I need I thought better to just buy another brand transceiver and learn it won't work. It just gets costly to buy another new combo but I guess that is why we are a "Throwaway Society" and that is not what the USA was built on it was more service economy today everything is not serviceable 99% of anything electronic is that way. They aren't made to service which is just adding to the landfills...

Collapse -
wireless 800 desktop
by jkliop / September 7, 2013 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: ANYONE

i droped my kboard and the mini tranceiver broke is there a way to get the tranceiver only

Collapse -
So far, Ebay, MSFT
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2013 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: wireless 800 desktop

But only for units that offer pairing. As you own yours, you can answer that one.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Finding a Replacement USB Mini Transceiver for Keyboard/Mous
by chiefmm / December 5, 2012 5:52 AM PST

I spoke with Microsoft parts department today and they said a specialized computer shop can sell you a (universal) 2.4 Ghz transceiver that should work. Take the keyboard or mouse with you to the store when purchasing the transceiver.

Collapse -
by wlbrownnh / April 20, 2013 3:02 AM PDT

Microsoft has a 3 year warranty on the desktop sets, I just called and replaced my 2000 desktop set as the transceiver died also and they are paired to the device at the factory and cannot be field repaired. Go to the microsoft website under support and look for replacement/defective parts.

Collapse -
by mabartolucci / January 10, 2014 10:30 PM PST

If what you say is true, why did they put a pairing button on the bottom of the keyboard?

Collapse -
Logitech issued a pairing bit of software.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2014 11:49 PM PST

Microsoft? Sorry, didn't find one.

Collapse -
Answer
model:1364
by Murtuz5 / March 18, 2014 7:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Looks to be paired with the KBD. This old thread is closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2014 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: model:1364

This thread is more than 777 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and replying to it will serve no purpose. However, if you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can create a new discussion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.