Mac OS forum

General discussion

Finder search can't specify range of creation dates

by dlminehart / November 30, 2009 5:43 AM PST

Using the Finder in 10.5.8, pressing Cmd-F to get to the Search window. I want to look for jpeg files created during December of 2008. I first specify file type = image, press the + to add another constraint, choose "creation date before" . . . today's date comes up by default, with little up/down arrows at the right to allow changes. Well, the arrows do nothing, and I can't edit the date string directly. The only change I'm able to make is when holding down the Alt key, which allows me to use the little up/down arrows to cycle through the months (but not days or years).

So, is there something I'm doing wrong? If not, any suggestions about how I can get this working?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Finder search can't specify range of creation dates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Finder search can't specify range of creation dates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Works fine
by Kevin M. Dean / November 30, 2009 7:41 AM PST

Works fine here with 10.5.8 although the option-clicking of the arrows works no differently than regular clicking for me. Also the month, day and year are individually highlighted for changing one-by-one by either clicking the one you want to change or pressing tab to cycle through them.

Collapse -
Works now, after . . .
by dlminehart / November 30, 2009 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: Works fine

I went into System Preferences > Appearance > Highlight Color, changing the default light blue to gold. On checking the Finder Search date string, the month, day, and year were now highlighted when clicked on. I returned to System Preferences > Appearance > Highlight Color, changing the default back to light blue. On checking Finder Search, the date components were highlighted light blue as expected when clicked on.

I guess the Finder's Search window was getting its defaults from some location different from the Finder's file listings. Odd...

Collapse -
Finding by date range in OSX 10.5.8
by skeet3276 / March 7, 2011 1:17 PM PST

Apple has the WORST Help menu for this. But here is how to find a range.
1. Command-F
2. Change pop up to: "Date Created"
3. Change next pop up to "Matches"
4. Type in exactly: 12/1/2008-1/1/2009
This will include 12/31/2008 if you put 1/1/2009
5. Click the Add or "+" button to add another criteria
6. Change the second pop up to: "Name"
7. Change the next pop up to:"Ends with"
8. Type in ".jpg"
Do not use "" for any of the entered values. This is just for demonstration purposes only.
The result will be that the search will pull up only Dec 08 jpg files created for that Dec 2008.
Apple is so arrogant that they actually think that all Mac users will know how to do this and do not need it put into their goofy Help menu. The only thing I like about Windows is that their Help is superior to Apple's worthless Help. Good Luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.