Phones forum

General discussion

Find lost keys, cell phones using a tracking device?

by devang / August 6, 2008 1:37 AM PDT

Hi there. I often find myself losing my keys, cell phones and other valuables. I am looking for a device such as the Loc8tor that can track all my valuables. Are there any alternatives to this device? Becuase that means you have to carry the tracking device with you everywhere. Perhaps by tracking by bluetooth and using a PDA? Is that possible?

I am sure there are tons of other people that run into similar problems.

Absolutely any help you can provide is appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Find lost keys, cell phones using a tracking device?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Find lost keys, cell phones using a tracking device?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
None I'm aware of....
by John.Wilkinson / August 6, 2008 10:54 AM PDT

I've seen a few come out with such devices over the years, but have yet to see any thrive/stay in business. One of the major hurdles is that Bluetooth usage can dramatically reduce battery life, so depending on the device you may end up recharging it several times a day, typically deemed unacceptable. (Remember that the Bluetooth radio must be on continuously as you never know when you may lose the item.) It would be nice, but I cannot point to one that works.

Collapse -
Find lost keys, cell phones using a tracking device?
by daraoh / September 19, 2008 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: None I'm aware of....

can you please tell me the producer of any of these items,John?

Collapse -
just a tracking thread mail - discard
by daraoh / September 19, 2008 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: None I'm aware of....

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2008 2:58 AM PDT

Type KEYRINGER at to find it.

Collapse -
by daraoh / September 19, 2008 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know.
Collapse -
(NT) Attach the keyringer to said PDA and we fix that!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2008 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: keyringer
Collapse -
Lost keys Device
by jasras123456 / December 18, 2009 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: keyringer

I lost my keys many times and I could tell that this device could be very useful
Last time I lost keys was in London after the south west four festival in Clapham common, it was on the 23rd of August 2008 but I found a good London locksmith when I type in the words lost keys London the final results was service from local locksmith at the address,
They were really helpful ad friendly, so I guess I would have to use them again until you find for us the desired device.

Collapse -
by xXxKirenXxX / January 10, 2011 8:35 AM PST

huh. I didn't know they actually worked.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.