Office & Productivity Software forum

Finance management software access problems

by mrswhatsit / January 22, 2012 9:28 PM PST

Since my online bank changed its log-on to a changing character password (i.e. each time you log-on the third password/security code requests only certain characters--"First, third, last", for example), I cannot access my banking information through Mint or my bank's budgeting program. I had to deactivate in Mint because its repeated attempts to access was causing a block on my account. I can't monitor my expenses/budgeting any more. Right now both the bank (an international one with four initials, the last being "C") and Mint are "working on it". Is there a finance management program that allows downloading of bank/CC info, but would accommodate a different sign-in each time? Any other suggestions? Anyone else having this problem?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Finance management software access problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Finance management software access problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Can you clarify the problem?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 22, 2012 9:40 PM PST

We've had this in the UK for sometime and I have had no problems with it, so I am not sure what difficulties you are experiencing.

Here's how it works in the UK.

Normal log on with Username and Password. Then I am presented with a 3 code window where I have to select 3 characters from a sentence or phrase I had previously provided. The characters are selected by the web page at random and I have to confirm them. For example if the phrase was "Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep", (no spaces), I would be asked to select what characters are for position 3 7 and 10.

Is that the same with you? If so, what difficulty are you having?

Collapse -
Finance management software access
by mrswhatsit / January 24, 2012 10:49 PM PST

What you described is how I must log-in to my bank. However, because of the changing and random nature of the log-in at the point of "Enter the 3rd, 7th, last", my budgeting/tracking program can not get access, because it only will record a static password/security code to access my bank account for automatic updates. I am looking for software I can download (or, I suppose webware, like Mint) that will let me manually update and enter that variable passcode. I'm asking for help to select a program without downloading a great number of them and finding out they aren't suitable. (Windows 7, 32bit). Just looking for home budgeting, taxes, goals, category tracking, that sort of thing, not a full-on business management program.

Collapse -
Well that's interesting
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 25, 2012 4:07 AM PST

and I think I understand you now.

That random selection of 3 characters is designed, I believe, to prevent robot style applications from logging in to financial accounts. It is a measure to prevent fraud hijacking of our accounts.

Does this budgeting software have to log in? What I mean is, if you log into your bank account manually, will this software then connect to the web site without attempting to log in and so update without that need?

You say this is your bank's own budgeting software (or web application). Not being facetious, but surely the bank itself would be aware of this problem and so have taken steps or offered guidance how to get round this issue?

Other than that, I'm a little bit stumped what your next course is.

Collapse -
Don't think they thought ahead
by mrswhatsit / January 25, 2012 10:47 AM PST

I have been using something called Easyview with HSBC. It has an automatic updating feature, but can't get past this third level security code to access the HSBC accounts because of the random factor. Other banks' accounts update fine. I let HSBC know about the situation and they "are aware of the problem and are looking for a solution".
I just want a suggestion of software to try that will let me log in manually to update bank transactions for budgeting/ tracking. All other CC, loans, mortgage, etc. update fine; it's just my own bank since they changed to this new log-in that doesn't work.

I'm just wanting something to use until they do get a solution; it's been 2+ months.

Collapse -
by claretalabs / March 25, 2012 4:54 PM PDT

Finance management software now so popular.............and valuable also.......

Collapse -
Actually worked it out!
by mrswhatsit / March 26, 2012 2:35 AM PDT

Kudos to the gurus at Easyview! I can now update & link with my own bank!
(Yeah, three months...)

Collapse -
Good news
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 26, 2012 4:53 AM PDT

And glad it is now sorted.

What did they do?

Collapse -
by mrswhatsit / March 27, 2012 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Good news

I have no idea. I just tried using it one day and it updated properly and has been since.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.