TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Filter to remove hiss an pops from turntable.

by lmwhite111 / November 2, 2012 3:54 PM PDT

Years ago there used to be an inline filter that could be put between the turn table and the amp. I think it had a name like a pop and crackle machine or some variation of that. It was a dampening device that clamped down on noise generated by vinyl issues. Anyone know what I am talking about and where I can get one.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Filter to remove hiss an pops from turntable.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Filter to remove hiss an pops from turntable.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The one I remember
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2012 4:02 PM PDT

Was a low pass filter. It basically cut off above 10 to 20 KHz. Today I bet folk expect more than that.

Collapse -
by lmwhite111 / November 3, 2012 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: The one I remember

Thanks for the reply Bob. I used the term filter which was a little misleading. It was a sporadic frequency dampener rather than a a constant filter.

Collapse -
Armed with that,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

If it's still out there you use Google to find it. It's now a rare thing with the move to almost all digital.

Collapse -
I doubt they are being build anymore but...
by ahtoi / November 4, 2012 2:24 AM PST
Collapse -
by lmwhite111 / November 4, 2012 7:23 AM PST

The band pass filter might work but it would cut out wanted frequencies too. Thank you for the response.

Bob I spent a lot of time searching before I came here... Thanks...

Collapse -
Yes I figured as much.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

But this old tech is now hard to find as folk run the content through a PC to digitize and use software to remove or soften the pops.

Collapse -
Since you love all those oldies,
by ahtoi / November 5, 2012 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

maybe it's time to upgrade them to cd/dvd. If you go that route you could use software program to eliminate
the hiss and pop. However, I have not find anything that is to my liking though (when you eliminate noises you eliminate some good music as well. Good luck.

Collapse -
As my memory comes back on this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 3:53 AM PST

I recall folk were seeking Nirvana on this. While those did a fair job, the usual audio nut was looking for something that would absolutely remove it without impacting any other quality.

Even today you'll see such requests.

But I see the Burwen is documented well enough that your more tenacious folk will build their own.

Collapse -
Vinyl effects
by mjd420nova / November 5, 2012 2:19 AM PST

The term is WOW and FLUTTER. Those are the effects heard from the variation in speed the is very minor but noticable to the ear. I transposed thousands of LPs and 45s using a Creative sound card that came with a sound studio that lets you see the offending event and reduce it below the audible level of the rest of the music. Wow and fluttter are more difficult and results can be mixed.

Collapse -
Thanks Re wow and flutter
by lmwhite111 / November 5, 2012 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: Vinyl effects

Thanks for the reply. You are absolutely correct about wow and flutter being associated with speed variations of belt drive turntables, not so much with direct drive units. The issue I am trying to address is caused by imperfections in the Vinyl. Some times this was caused by less than perfect pressings. Sometimes due to needle erosion and mishandling etc. This produces instantaneous spurious noise. The Burwen may do the trick. It does seem to dampen rather than eliminate... That is what you want to do so it does not produce gaps. Thanks so much again I enjoy being part of this forum..

Collapse -
click & pop machine
by NM_Bill / November 6, 2012 9:45 AM PST

was the term.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.