Samsung

General discussion

Film Mode?

by CyclonicKitten / June 24, 2008 12:50 PM PDT

I sell these crazy things and i try and research all i can but im still up in the air about the FILM MODE option on my 40a550. I talked to my samsung rep and he said its used when you output your blueray player at 24p to match film FPS. However the specs on a 550 series say it doesn't support 24p input. Im assuming my rep knows what he is talking about but what EXACTLY is the FILM mode on my TV and what will it do when its enabled? Just for your notes i can't enable it when my samsung unpconverter is running via HDMI however I CAN run it when my comcast HD box is connected via component but NOT with HDMI. Does this feature light up if i were to get a blueray player and enable 24p output? Samsung man? =)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Film Mode?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Film Mode?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Working on this...
by Mr__S / June 26, 2008 3:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Film Mode?

I only have part of the answer for this one so I am waiting till one of our guys gets back to me... I will get you an answer soon.

Best,

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
film mode on 40a550
by CHUCKMALLEY / October 9, 2008 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Working on this...

I thought film mode was to match a 480 dvd player,so the screen on the tv didn't look so bad (as mine does)when I play movies. I can use it when I'm watching cable through the 1081 box,but I can't access it when I run the dvd player. Need help,picture bad!

Collapse -
Okay, let's solve Film Mode questions
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 10, 2008 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: film mode on 40a550

Film Mode is primarily for 480i/p input sources, but even moreso for 480i inputs. What it does is correct the interpoation of the 3:2 pulldown function of the picture.

Not to say that it couldn't be used to process other pictures, but depending on the way the DVD was encoded will depend on the improvement of Film Mode.

In laymans terms, it is supposed to improve the picture.

In technical terms.....

DVDs are based on MPEG-2 encoding, which can be either progressive or interlaced sequences. Most discs use interlaced sequences, since the players are designed for interlaced output (and was the case until upconverting DVD players).

If the sequence on the disc is progressive, then all sorts of rules kick into play so that the material stays progressive from start to finish. If it's interlaced, there are fewer rules and no set requirement to use progressive frames is established within the disc. The encoder can mix and match interlaced fields and progressive frames as long as each second of MPEG-2 data contains exactly 60 fields.

So to display a perfect progressive image from a film-sourced DVD, the player needs to igure out which fields in the MPEG stream go together. It would be nice if the progressive frame flag in the disc would tell the player that the frames are from a film and go together, but it's not always optimized for progressive scan playback.

Most players will use a standard MPEG-2 decoder to generate digital interlaced video that sends the video feed to a deinterlacing chip. If the deinterlacing chip sees a constant stream of 5-field sequences in which the first and third fields are identical, it switches to film-mode deinterlacing.

Film Mode is the one area of deinterlacing that can be objectively perfect.

Film Mode in a television also allows that picture input - regardless of source - to process the picture the same way, since not all players have the ability to do that. Some can send the signal out, which unprocessed, produces a grainy picture. If overprocessed, also produces a grainy picture.

The most common and worst artifacting that you get in film mode happens when the deinterlacer combines together two fields that were never meant to go together. This most often happens when the 3-2 sequence is interrupted and the deinterlacer doesn't act quickly enough. When this happens, the odd numbered lines of the image are from one moment in time, and the even numbered lines are from a different moment in time - thus causing a horrible picture.

The good news is that it is defeatable, so if it's not a process that improves the picture for a progressive scan feed, you can turn it off.

This is an issue that can happen regardless of manufacturer. In saying that, it's important to note that this isn't a Samsung issue as much as it is an industry-compatibility issue.

Samsung products give you the ability to defeat most technologies that would hamper your viewing pleasure as much as we include technologies that enhance your experience.

Hope this helps.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Yes,but...
by CHUCKMALLEY / October 10, 2008 11:29 PM PDT

I can only access "film mode" when watching cable(720p or 1081i signal)My 40A550 tv menu,when the source is DVD,doesn't allow me to highlight or click on Film Mode. THAT'S the issue. I switched component inputs from 1 to 2,gone straight to tv from DVD player versus DVD to Receiver to TV...nothing works...picture quality is not very good to say the least.Other than buying an upscaling DVD player,what are my options. More important,if the TV is supposed to do this,what am I doing wrong? Telephone help from Samsung..."you have to switch your DVD players output,it should have a switch." Duh,if my DVD player had a "switch",I wouldn't be calling YOU! Not much help...thanks

Collapse -
Film Mode isn't going to fix that
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 11, 2008 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes,but...

I must have confused the original post (discussing Blu-Ray) and your post (regard a DVD player) in my explanation.

The reason you're not able to pull up the Film Mode in the menu is because your DVD player is probably transferring in Video Mode. If the deinterlacer doesn’t see a 3-2 film cadence reqired for Film Mode, it must switch to video-mode deinterlacing.

But Film Mode isn't going to fix the fact that DVDs look bad on an HDTV. There's a completely different reason for that.

DVDs are encoded in Standard Definition formats. DVD players output in standard definition. The picture you're seeing is 480 lines of resolution displayed on a panel with 1080 lines of resolution. As a result, the picture quality is akin to zooming in too closely on a computer picture. It starts to pixelate, and with motion, creates the picture you're seeing.

If you were to go into a retail store and ask them to flip on a standard definition television signal, it would look similar to what I think you're seeing with your DVD player's output. An upconverting DVD player would certainly add lines to fill in the missing picture based on existing picture, and that does improve the signal to the television. Ultimately, the television will process whatever signal it receives. Standard definition signal/poor picture quality is not inherent to Samsung televisions - the whole industry struggles on this issue. There is no perfect SD-to-HD processor.

Even an upconverting DVD player will only improve the picture. It will not create a Blu-Ray quality picture, but instead add lines based on what's around existing picture.

Film Mode or any number of methods of processing aren't going to completely fix a standard definition source shown on a HD television.

Does that help explain why DVD's look poor on a HDTV?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Film mode fix
by CHUCKMALLEY / October 11, 2008 7:04 AM PDT

It does answer my question,thanks.Love the tv picture,guess I'll invest in the Samsung Upscaling dvd player with anynet+

Collapse -
More than happy to help!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 12, 2008 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Film mode fix

Let me know if you have any other questions.

We're here to help!

--HDTech

Collapse -
Film mode with an embedded 24p flag from a 1080i source
by id0l / February 28, 2009 3:53 AM PST

Question for you Mr. Samsung - does film mode detect the 24p flag (if it exists in the broadcast) and bypass any 3:2 pulldown from a 1080i source (specifically cable tv)? Or is it solely designed to work with 480i signals? I would very much like a definitive answer for this. By the way, my set is an LN40a630. If it does indeed bypass 3:2 and displays a progressive 24p picture from cable tv (doing 5:5 pulldown with 120hz), I don't know why anybody would disable film mode on their 120hz TVs. And I also would like to know if film mode (upon detecting the 24p flag) bypasses any AMP settings? I ask because I would like to display the true 24p picture if possible, but not with AMP going - however, I like AMP on the low setting if it's unable to display the picture in progressive scan.

Thanks in advance!

id0l

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.