Computer Help

General discussion

Files won't open from DVD

by jodyjo / October 26, 2004 4:47 AM PDT

My son burned jpeg files of his wedding on a DVD, there are 530 of them. I have a DVD drive but it refuses to see the files or that the CD is even there. I have tried this on two seperate computers with DVD drives. I have adobe photoshop 2.0 starter kit. I have tried opening them with MS Photo editor also, still nothing. Anyone have any ideas? Do I need a higher adobe photoshop program?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Files won't open from DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Files won't open from DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Files won't open from DVD
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 26, 2004 5:12 AM PDT

Is it a CD/DVD ROM drive?

If so, have you tried any other CD's in the drive and do they work, and any other DVD's in the drive, and if so do they work?

If you have separate CD and DVD drives, do both drives work normally?

Is your drive, (or are they), CDR/DVDR or standard CD/DVD. What I mean is, is/are the drive(s) recordable drives, or standard non recordable drives?

(This gets complicated).

Is anyone else able to open the DVD your son made?

I think you need to establish whether it is the drive itself that is not working, or the DVD disk.

I am given to understand that, when a CD is burned, if the person burning the CD does not finalise the session, (the burning session), then only other CDR (CD Recordable) drives or CDR/RW (CD Recordable or Re-writable) drives can read the disk. A normal CD drive will not be able to see any data on the disks.

I found the article below at this web site;

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/cds/cdmain.asp

"When a CD is full or if you do not want to write any more data to it, you must 'close' or 'finalise' the disc. This prevents any more sessions being written to it and allows a standard CD-ROM drive or audio player to read the disc (the restrictions about a player reading multi-session audio CDs still apply, of course). CD writing software will ask if you want to close a disc, so it's not a special process you have to instigate. To get a wee bit more technical, just so you understand what's going on underneath the hood, a typical CD-R consists of a lead-in section which contains the TOC, the data area where program data or audio tracks are stored, and the lead-out which doesn't have anything of interest in it. On an open disc - that is, one which has not been closed - the lead-in and lead-out have not yet been written. If you leave a session open (you can have open sessions as well as open discs), the TOC is written into an area of the disc called the PMA (Program Memory Area). In spite of its name it is a physical part of the CD, not an area of RAM. A CD-R drive knows where the PMA is and so can read it. Standard CD drives and audio players cannot access the PMA and won't be able to see any data or audio tracks. When the session is closed, the contents of the PMA are written to the TOC so the drives can read them. When you write a multi-session disc the software includes a link from the lead in (TOC) of the current session to the lead in of the next session. Multi-session CD-ROM drives can follow the links to find any of the files on the CD. Standard players don't know about linked lead ins and can only find the data in the first session."

I don't know if this applies to DVD as well. I suspect it does.

A lot of work for you to find out I'm afraid.

Mark

Collapse -
by jodyjo / October 26, 2004 8:35 AM PDT

Ok, the files are burned on a DVD to hold them all. I tried opening them on my computer at work, my laptop which both have DVD players. I won't even see the CD. I tried it at home on a non DVD drive, still nothing, same thing happens, it doesn't even show the DVD as in the machine. I did take it to Kinkos where the man was able to open all the files. He was using Photoshop 7.0 (very expensive program) however he thought it should open regardless. There isn't anything wrong with my DVD drives or CD ROM drives. So I am thinking it is the program. the man at Kinkos thought maybe the files where too much to open at once (even though they did for him) and maybe I should copy some of them over to another CD. However, if I can't open them, then I can't quite copy them over, right?

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 26, 2004 9:10 AM PDT

Did you try my other suggestions?

1] Test your drive(s) with other CD's and DVD's.

2] Are the drives recordable drives? I mentioned that if you do not have a CD/R or DVD/R drive you "may" have problems if your son did not close the burning session when he copied the files to the disk.

A disk which has been burned but left "opened" may not be able to be read by standard CD or DVD drives, ie drives which cannot be used to record data onto CD or DVD.

The computer the man at Kinkos is using may have recordable drives on the computer. If so, that may explain why he could open the DVD and you cannot.

Also, try this, (unless you have already done so). Double click My Computer on your desktop. Insert the DVD disk into the drive and wait a few seconds.

Does the name of the DVD drive change? Click or double click (I'm not sure which), the DVD drive and see if it can load the contents. If it does and you can see the files in there, then you may be right and your software is at fault, (although I am not sure why it wouldn't be able to see the disk).

Take that disk out, put another CD or DVD in the drive, and check the drive in My Compter again. Any changes?

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Addendum
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 26, 2004 9:13 AM PDT

You mentioned that you tested the DVD in your laptop at work.

That CD/DVD drive may also not be a recordable drive, (a security measure to stop employees copying sensitive data from work records).

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Addendum
by jodyjo / October 28, 2004 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Addendum

No, that isn't it, but keep trying. I surely don't have an answer.

Collapse -
by jodyjo / October 28, 2004 7:56 AM PDT

Yes, they are recordable DVD drives in both cases. If I insert the disk into the drive and wait, nothing comes up, however if I double click on the drive with the disk in there it comes up with no disk in the drive message, there is nothing listed except the drive letter........so no, it isn't seeing the disk. I have checked the drive (just in case it may needed to be cleaned with other disks and they work fine. That is what lead me to believe it was a software issue. I have no idea what could be the problem.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 28, 2004 8:04 PM PDT

Well jodyjo you have me stumped as well.

If I thought your son could do it, I might have suggested that he had copyrighted the CD, but;

1] I don't see why he would have done that, and
2] The man at the shop was able to access the files on the CD.

I'm researching. I have found this link,

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?s=349197b0d6481da43544fa40bfda303f&t=10144

(sorry for the length), which says "Music CDs are now being created that cannot be read in NEWER PC CD-Roms/CD-RWs/DVD drives. So just like the days when your burned CD's wouldn't play in OLD CD-Rom drives we are now in a situation where NEW CD's will ONLY play in older CD-Rom drives."

but there are some home grown options in that thread. I haven't found anything else so far.

Have you spoken to your son about this? I'm just wondering if he used special software to create the disk and he could give you some pointers.

Also, I don't really see this as a problem with your Adobe Starter kit 2 as you have said that your computer doesn't recognise that the CD is in the drive.

However, did I ask you to check if you could explore the CD?

Insert the CD, open up MY Computer on the desktop, and click or double click the DVD drive. Does that open the CD up? If not, what error message do you get?

If My Computer, (which is just a format of Windows Explorer), doesn't open up the CD, then it is definately not the Adobe program you are using.

I'm sorry I am not much help.

Mark

Collapse -
by jodyjo / November 5, 2004 8:15 AM PST

thanks any way! Someone suggested he recopy them onto a regular CDs and put fewer pics on them. I think that sounds like the best way so far! I have kind of given up also stumped!

Collapse -
by webwalker / November 7, 2004 3:19 PM PST

I've had the same problem with recognising cds and have discovered, in my case, that if I boot the computer with a CD (non bootable) in the drive everything is OK after that. CDs can be accessed and you can view the files in My Compuer and Windows Explorer. The drives are OK until you shut down and reboot without CD/s in the drive/s.
Might be worth a try.

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / October 28, 2004 9:29 PM PDT

Ask your son to burn the pictures to a CD. He might need 2 or even 3, but - of course - should start with 1 to see if you can read it.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
by jodyjo / November 5, 2004 8:14 AM PST

Sounds like the best idea yet. Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.