Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

File Transfer from old to new

by Ranald / May 1, 2005 11:46 PM PDT

I need to trnsfer the files from an older computer to a new one. Both systems are XP. The old system has no CD burner. I'm not interested in transferring the hard drive into the new computer. What's my best alternative?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: File Transfer from old to new
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: File Transfer from old to new
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Xp files and setting transfer wizard
by mackman / May 2, 2005 12:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Was my 1st thought but has no CDROM on old comp!
by AussiePete / May 2, 2005 12:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
by AussiePete / May 2, 2005 12:33 AM PDT

By simple I mean a "simple network connection" between two computers - all you need is either a free LPT or com port on each computer and a cable plugged into these ports between each computer - most computer stores will have one - then just run connection wizard and select the above "simple" connection.

Collapse -
One other thing
by AussiePete / May 2, 2005 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Simple

the com and lpt ports are slow and are only about 2X faster than a dialup connection so it will take time.! With this connection you can use the transfer wizard as well as using the old computer as though it is another hard disk.

Collapse -
Crossover cable...One (more) other thing...
by ihop4no1 / May 2, 2005 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: One other thing

If you're directly connecting your old comp to your new one, you've got to use a crossover cable. (Straight through cables connect PC's on a network, which it sounds like you don't have.)

See the link below;

Go to Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc. and get a crossover cable for about $10-15 bucks, connect the two machines to one another and set up a simple peer-to-peer network and then transfer your files.

Final note: Both computers must have a Category 5 (CAT5 - also known as RJ-45 cable connection. Not the smaller RJ-11 that you'd plug a telephone modem into).

Good luck!

Collapse -
by AussiePete / May 3, 2005 6:29 AM PDT

I have heard the term cross over cable a number of times and assumed it was the same animal as I have suggested in my previous post, that is a cable which connects either two LPT ports or 2 COM ports between the two computer - windows just calls it "communication cable between two computers". However from your post I get the impression there is a difference - I'm interested to know the difference - thanks,

Collapse -
Crossover Cable vs Straight Through
by ihop4no1 / May 3, 2005 12:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Terminology

All right before we start getting gender confused and making snide comments about "cross dress" cabling verses straight cabling, let's get this explained. Just kidding!

The simple answer is a crossover cable is used when you are connecting two PCs together directly (NIC to NIC). You use a straight-through cable when there is a hub, switch or router between the two or more PCs (NIC-Hub/Switch/Router-NIC).

Also known as parallel ports or printer ports, LPT (Line Printing Terminal) ports are typically for connecting a printer. COM ports are simply communication ports by which the computer sends and receives communications with peripherals (such as a printer via a printer port like LPT1 or LPT2!) or SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) is usually assigned port number 25 for the transfer of e-mail via a program like Outlook or Lotus Notes.
Here's a link to some common (no pun intended) COM ports.

One final note: the ends of the cable connecting the two NIC's are crossed with each other. That is to say wire #1 "crosses" over to connect with wire #8 in one end of the cable and the opposite is true of the other end of the cable.
Hope this explains it.

Collapse -
Same animal - I think but still not 100% sure!
by AussiePete / May 3, 2005 8:42 PM PDT

Perhaps I didn't explain properly, because at no point did I say a "straight through cable" - however, I do use a straight through 25/25 cable in series with a 25/11 plug adaptor (where the pin1 and 8 are crossed over) as well as a straight through 25/11 plug adaptor. If I understand you correctly, this has the same affect as a crossover cable as you have mentioned - but the advantage of the system I made up is that it can connect to the RJ-11 sockets on both computer as newer computers only seem to have a RJ-11 connection.
I made this cable up about 20yrs ago before windows was around - used to use Norton commander to connect my 2 computers together - so please correct me if I am wrong, but it appears I am (for all intensional purposes) using the same thing as a cross over cable???
Thanks for you time,

Collapse -
Yep, same animal
by ihop4no1 / May 4, 2005 3:20 AM PDT

Yeah, for all practical purposes, it sounds like what you've created and are using is, in effect, a cross-over cable.

I know you never mentioned a straight through cable, but in the context of the conversation it seemed important to make the distinction. I didn't want the person doing the file transfer to purchase a straight through cable with the intention of connecting two PC's directly to one another.

Collapse -
(NT) Cheers!
by AussiePete / May 4, 2005 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep, same animal
Collapse -
Crossover terminology
by techtype / May 5, 2005 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Terminology

Hi Pete

What you described is not the same. A cross over cable, be it a serial cable, parallel cable or Cat5 cable (or Cat6 cable) is a cable that has (and I do not remember which wires) some wires reversed from there normal position to a new position. This is normally what is done internally with any of the interface cards (modem, NIC's), you never see it but it is crossed over within the device being used to do the communications. If one is not using a communications device (again, modem, NIC, etc.), you must use a cable that is crossed over.

Hope this helps?


Collapse -
Rick, I did crossover
by AussiePete / May 6, 2005 8:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Crossover terminology

Have a look at my later post "Same animal - I think but still not 100% sure" - where I said pin 1 & 8 are crossed over - by the way I say 11 pins in this post but should have been 9 - by the way I was going from memory with something I did 20yrs ago - had a lot of beers since then so please be gentle!!! Anyway what ever I did the main thing it works, I used it a couple of months ago.

Collapse -
Ok, I gotta weigh in on this
by retired / May 4, 2005 4:39 AM PDT

If one is using serial or paralell ports to directly connect two computers with either a db9 Male/male or a db25 male/male then the cables are crossover anyway. certainly agree about difference with Cat5 cables.

Collapse -
transfering hd info
by martravel / May 5, 2005 9:44 PM PDT

Why not do a d/l at a web site and use the new computer to pull the info back to your new computer

Collapse -
You have to have. . .
by techtype / May 6, 2005 3:14 AM PDT

Hi Retired

I have to disagree with you on the DB25 and DB9 cables. If it is used as a direct connect to another computer, they too must be crossed over to do proper communications from computer to computer. I have done enough of these to know. Why sonny we were doing this back when there were IBM Clones, with IBM DOS, using DOS.

Collapse -
You all have missed it
by iamanerd / May 6, 2005 1:45 AM PDT

So Here is the definition of a Crossover cable. It is very simple. No matter which cable type your are using be it
RJ11(phone, 4 wire, "only 2 are used at a time" ),
RJ45(Cat5, 8 wire)
Serial (USB (4 wire)), DB9 (9 wire), DB25 (25 wire)
parallel (DB25 to Centronics)

Now, those are mostly all the common cable types, the definition of a cross over cable simply means that the Send wire position at one end is connected to the receive position at the other end of the cable. On most cables this is done on two wires one send, one receive and they are "crossed over".

end of discussion. Happy

Bill Boling

Collapse -
let me add some more details
by anasugawa / May 31, 2005 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: You all have missed it

Types of CAT5 Cable
with CAT 5 cable there are 3 type of pin config:

1. Patch Cable (a.k.a Straight-Through Cable)
2. Crossover Cable
3. Rollover Cable

(still using the same RJ-45 jack, just the wire positioning in the pin is different)


Type of use for each CAT5 Cable:

1. Patch : Client to Hub
Client to Router
Hub to Router
Hub to Bridge
Hub to Brouter

2. Crossover : Client to Client
Hub to Hub
Router to Router
Bridge to Bridge

3. Rollover : Only used for when configuring certain
models of Router. Few years ago Cisco System's router
still configured this way, by connecting a client
directly thru the "console" port of the router using a
rollover cat5 cable. dunno about now. while it's
possible to config thru telnet but total admin rights
in configuring is only available with this kinda
connection. In modern DSL router, if u look at the
back of it there'd also be a console port, but with weird jack... some router might still use cat5 cable with rollover pin config for Console purpose.


Pin Config.

1. Patch

when u compare both ends of the wire, this what u'll see:
Wire # |1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|
Pin # End A |1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|
Pin # End B |1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|

read : "The same wire on pin 1 on end A, is at pin 1 on end B. The same wire on pin 2 on end B, is......."

2. Crossover

when u compare both ends of the wire, this what u'll see:

Wire # |1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|
End A |1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|
End B |3|6|1|4|5|2|7|8|

wires that at end A terminated on pin 1 & 2 goes to pin 3 & 6 on pin B respectively.

because pin 1 & 2 is the receptor pin of any
respective ethernet NIC, and pin 3 & 6 is the
So if u connect two PCs together, it make sense to use
crossover cable, coz data that goes out of pin 1 you
channel it to pin 3 that does nothing else but to listen to any incoming data. henceforth is the other pins.
in ethernet, pin 4,5,7 & 8 are not used. in fact u can just abandon it.

3. Rollover cable

Wire # |1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|
Pin # End A |1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|
Pin # End B |8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1|


That's it... thanx for reading. If this helps you,
then all i ask is ur prayer that i'd be rich soon

anyway bill boling, ur conclusive explaination is just right. compact.

Collapse -
by gnmh / May 6, 2005 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Simple

Will that work for a Win 98Se transfer of files to another tower with Win 98 SE as well????

Collapse -
by AussiePete / May 6, 2005 8:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Simple

But read the other posts as well because you need the right type of cable. Once you have the cable you just need to setup windows - whether it be 98 to 98 or 98 to XP.

Collapse -
Easy file transfer
by jruslw / May 5, 2005 10:05 PM PDT

I have found the easiest way to move files from an old hard drive to new is to connect the old hard drive to your cd/dvd cable (including the power connection); the computer will see the hard drive as an optical drive and you can drag the files off that you want. Simply remove the hard drive and restore the cables to complete the job. Another option would be an external hard drive case connected to USB or fire wire port. This is not as fast but does offer a backup solution after your files have been moved.

Collapse -
what i did
by hothta / May 5, 2005 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Easy file transfer

i picked up a router installed it and networked the pc's the bonus is i now have a network sys in place and have multy pc's on the net killed to birds one stone

Collapse -
Transfering files from old to new computer
by Green_lizard / May 5, 2005 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Easy file transfer

To do this I use a removable USB drive (aka memory stick). I first plug it into a USB port on the old computer, and copy the files needed onto it. It is then removed and plugged into a USB port on the new computer and the files copied therefrom. If both computers are running Windows 98 or above, most likely it will not be necessary to first install the driver which came with the USB drive.

I am interested in lruslw's solution which links the old HD to a CD drive on the new computer, but the description is not clear to me. As I understand it the CD cable is unplugged from the motherboard and plugged into the HD, which gets its power from an outlet on the new computer?

In general persons posting replies should bear in mind that some of the readers like myself are not experts and hence we need to have the solutions spelt out step by step.

Collapse -
what lruslw meant to say was
by jonah jones / May 6, 2005 8:26 PM PDT

that you remove the hard disk with the files you want to move from the old computer and connect it to one of the IDE (hard disk-CD/dvd) cables in the new computer...

if you did go this way, you would need to be aware of slave/master (is the hard disk alone on the cable, or is there another hard disk or CD drive connected?) problems...

hope this helped



Collapse -
No such thing as a CD/DVD cable and power connector
by iamanerd / May 6, 2005 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Easy file transfer


I am sorry to burst you bubble, there is not such thing as a cable or connector just for a CD/DVD drive. There is USB, IDE, SCSI, parellel, Serial. Any of these connection types can connect; Disk, CD, DVD, SyQuest type drives, etc...

If you connect a hard drive to the same cable that a CD or DVD drive had been connected to it will still connect as a Hard drive not as a cd or dvd, the drivers will not be a cd driver.

Please verify what you are talking about before posting it please. I would love to read the documentation you have to support your statements.

Please before you do, be aware that when CD drives where first created, some drives used a proprietary card communication format and are not compatible to hard drives.

Bad or wrong information can be worse that not saying anything at all.


Collapse -
by *~MINI~* / July 7, 2005 7:24 AM PDT

CD/DVD Drives? Not what I am looking for. Just inquiring on your profile. Campbella, CA per chance?

just hoping,


Collapse -
Only one problem with connecting IDE drive to new PC
by brucerobb / May 9, 2005 1:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Easy file transfer

New PCs are liable to be SATA. However, if you connect an IDE drive to one of these PCs, it is AUTOMATICALLY the master, overriding the SATA drive. I think I remember that the SATA drive is not even seen. In these cases, crossover cable would be the way to go.

Collapse -
Keep it simple...
by R.J.G. / May 5, 2005 10:51 PM PDT

You state that you're not intersted in transferring the hard drive into the new computer, but you don't say if this is because you don't mean permantly or even temporarily. I've done many, many system rebuilds, new systems, etc. and I've found the fast and easiest way to transfer data from old drive to new is it simply make the old drive a slave drive and insert it into the new computer. Transfer the files across and then remove the old drive and put it back into its original PC. Quick and easy.

To use a cable hookup (whether, serial, parallel or CAT-5) means you also have to setup networking between the two systems, as well as shared folders etc. so that you can get to the files you want. If you plan on creating a network, then I'd suggest you purchase your switch, router or hub and connect the two systems, setup your networking, create your shares and transfer your files. But that's a lot of work if a network is not what you have in mind.

Do it the quick and easy way. Set the jumper on the old drive to SLAVE, insert the drive (I don't even mount the drive in a bay, just set it up on end connected to the cables) power up, transfer the files and then remove the drive. No muss no fuss!

Good luck to you.

Collapse -
HD file transfer
by bill at compute / May 6, 2005 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Keep it simple...

better to mount the HD in place of your cdrom. Put it on the top of the case. No jumpers to worry about.

Collapse -
(NT) I'll 2nd that - much faster!!!!
by AussiePete / May 6, 2005 7:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Keep it simple...
Collapse -
File Transfer
by coolhandan / May 5, 2005 10:52 PM PDT

A jump drive is a very good and easy way to transfer files. I have two 128mb drives and I use them all the time. They are small and fit right in your pocket. You simply plug it into your usb port and Windows XP will auto install. I have seen 256mb drives for as little as 20 dollars, but you can get larger ones up to 1 gig. The files go on quickly and are easy and quick to delete. These are by far the easyest way to transfer files.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions


Big screens for the big game

Still looking for the best TV deals ahead of Sunday's game? Here are our top three big screen picks.