Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

File does not have a program associated with it

by wjochetz / May 4, 2005 1:15 PM PDT

First off, I am currently using windows xp professional. I cant open most of the programs on my computer and when i try to use "Run" I get a message saying "This file doesnt not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." All of the programs that I cant open, when I try right click on it "open" isnt even an option to select. I have no clue what is wrong or what to do. Please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: File does not have a program associated with it
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: File does not have a program associated with it
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Query
by phantazy / May 4, 2005 3:57 PM PDT

What happens if you set 'folder options' to default? If problems persist, set your windows disk to cd drive and use 'sfc /scannow' to restore missing windows files.

Collapse -
Re: File does not have a program associated with it
by Tufenuf / May 4, 2005 5:14 PM PDT

wjochetz, If you can't access the Internet with the problem computer use another computer and go to the link below and download the Fixswen.inf file to a floppy disk or CD then transfer the floppy disk or CD to the problem computer. Save the fixswen.inf file to your local hard disk, right-click on the file and choose install. This may correct the problem. If it does I recommend that you update your Antivirus definitions and run a full virus scan.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.asp

Tufenuf

Collapse -
re:
by wjochetz / May 5, 2005 10:18 AM PDT

I have access to the internet on this computer but only through firefox. I have already downloaded Fixswen.inf but I cant open most programs and this is one of them. When I right click on the file (which is a generic icon) install is not an option. The only options when I right click are cut, copy, create shortcut, delete, rename, and properties.http://reviews.cnet.com/5224-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=102042&messageID=1170986#
Submit

Collapse -
re:
by wjochetz / May 5, 2005 10:19 AM PDT

I have access to the internet on this computer but only through firefox. I have already downloaded Fixswen.inf but I cant open most programs and this is one of them. When I right click on the file (which is a generic icon) install is not an option. The only options when I right click are cut, copy, create shortcut, delete, rename, and properties.

Collapse -
Re: File Association
by Tufenuf / May 5, 2005 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

wjochetz, Try the following: Go into your Control Panel and open the Folder Options, under the File Types tab scroll down to INF and click it once to hilite it, click the Advanced button then click the Set Default button. Now try to right click the Fixswen.inf file and choose Install.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
File association repair
by dennisl / May 4, 2005 7:42 PM PDT
Collapse -
re:
by wjochetz / May 5, 2005 12:57 PM PDT

I downloaded the file but I cant open it. In Folders Options INF and EXE werent even there as extensions. I could add them to the list and I think if you could direct me to the program that would be used to open the file I could get it to work. Otherwise I cant open all of these files that are being recomended to fix the problem.

Collapse -
TweakUI
by dennisl / May 5, 2005 5:59 PM PDT

Double click the downloaded Zip file.You should see a box come up saying 4 files unzipped successfully.
Navigate to C:\Windows\Temp folder & right click on the Text file. Select Install from the menu.
You can start Tweakui from the icon in the Control Panel.

Dennis

Collapse -
Re: TweakUI
by Tufenuf / May 5, 2005 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: TweakUI

Dennis, The new version of TweakUI for Windows XP is just a straight .exe file download unlike the older versions of TweakUI for Windows 98/ME which your installation instructions pertain to. For the new XP version all you have to do is double click the exe that you download and it will install TweakUI. You will not find it in the Control Panel like the old version, but it will be in your Start/Programs/Powertoys for Windows XP/TweakUI.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Re:TweakUI
by dennisl / May 6, 2005 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: TweakUI

Thanks for the clarification on that Tufenuf.
I still have the old version from when I updated from W98SE to XP - I'd like to know the update procedure?
The old one doesn't appear in Add/Remove Programs.

Dennis

Collapse -
Re:TweakUI
by Tufenuf / May 6, 2005 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:TweakUI

Dennis, If you have TweakUI v1.33 you could follow the Uninstall directions at the link below under "Uninstalling TweakUI v1.33".

http://www.systemsmedic.com/TweakUI.htm

You could also go to the link below and download the "xp_tweakui_uninstall.vbs" and run it. Save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click xp_tweakui_uninstall.vbs file. You will be prompted when the changes have been completed.

"If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry".

Files from the link below are Safe to download.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_tweak_uninst.htm

One thing to consider is that any changes you made with TweakUI will remain after you uninstall it so you may want to undo any changes you have made and restart your computer prior to uninstalling it. The TweakUI for Windows does not have the repair file associations under the Repair section but it does have other repair functions. If you do decide on the new version I would first uninstall the old version.

Hope this helps,
Tufenuf

Collapse -
TweakUI Uninstall
by dennisl / May 8, 2005 9:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:TweakUI

When I try to run the uninstall I get a message
"TweakUI.INF does not exist -Script cannot continue"

Any thoughts on this?

Dennis

Collapse -
Re: TweakUI Uninstall
by Tufenuf / May 9, 2005 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: TweakUI Uninstall

Dennis, If you have or had TweakUI version 1.33 installed I would first do the following.

Uninstalling TweakUI v1.33
The normal method for uninstalling TweakUI is to use the Add/Remove Program applet in the Control Panel. If for some reason this does not work, you may need to manually uninstall it using the following:

Search ALL your local drives/partitions and delete ALL TweakUI.* files from:

? %windir%\Help\TWEAKUI.CNT
? %windir%\Help\TWEAKUI.HLP
? %windir%\Help\TWEAKUI.GID [Hidden file]
? %windir%\Inf\TWEAKUI.INF
? %windir%\System\TWEAKUI.CPL [Win9x/ME only]
? %windir%\System32\TWEAKUI.CPL [WinNT4/2000/XP only].

Default %windir% folder is C:\Windows if using Win9x 2000 ME XP or C:\Winnt if using WinNT4.

Windows Explorer may not be able to "see" and/or delete TWEAKUI.GID unless you "strip" it of its Hidden (H) attribute first by running this command from any DOS prompt: ATTRIB -H %windir%\HELP\TWEAKUI.GID

If you edit the registry make sure that you at least make a backup of the registry keys you're editing.

You would only delete the following entries which are in the right pane of the registry editor.
"Tweak UI"="RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp"
in the Run key. DO NOT DELETE the Run key itself.

"Tweak UI"="RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakLogon"
in the RunServices key. DO NOT DELETE the RunServices key itself.

Make sure to delete also these 2 Registry String Values (if present) by using Regedit or Regedt32:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Run
"Tweak UI"="RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp"

and:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ RunServices
"Tweak UI"="RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakLogon"

If ANY of these Registry Values are still present after deleting TWEAKUI.CPL, you will see this error dialog box next time you (re)start Windows:

"RUNDLL Error loading TWEAKUI.CPL.
The system cannot find the file specified."

This way all TweakUI traces should be permanently erased from your computer.

The first method mentioned is to use your Add/Remove Programs to uninstall TweakUI and that's what I'd try first. Post back if you're still having problems or have any more questions,

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Re :TweakUI Uninstall
by dennisl / May 9, 2005 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: TweakUI Uninstall

Thanks Tufenuf,

Unfortunately there's no entry in Add/Remove Programs.

One final thought on this -would it do any harm just to simply leave the old one where it is & load up the new version for future use?

Dennis

Collapse -
Re :TweakUI Uninstall
by Tufenuf / May 9, 2005 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Re :TweakUI Uninstall

Dennis, Did you ever uninstall the older version or is it still installed and operable? Is the older version actually version 1.33 or is it an older version? TweakUI 1.33 is shown at the link below.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/windows98/tweakui2000.html

If you have an older version it won't show all the tabs when you open it. It has an arrow button on the right side which you must use to get to some of the tabs. Post back.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Re:TweakUI Uninstall
by dennisl / May 9, 2005 5:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Re :TweakUI Uninstall

Tufenuf,

It's definitely version 1.33 & it works, but some of the options in "Repair" seem to have dissapeared since upgrading tp XP.

Dennis

Collapse -
Re:TweakUI Uninstall
by Tufenuf / May 10, 2005 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:TweakUI Uninstall

Dennis, It's up to you but if you want to uninstall the 1.33 version follow the instructions I posted at the link below. DO NOT install the new version you downloaded without first uninstalling the older version you now have.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=102042&messageID=1178362

To find hidden files you would go into your Control Panel and open Folder Options and under the View tab tic(.) Show Hidden Files & Folders, click Apply/OK.

To get into regedit you would click Start/Run then type in regedit and click OK. Like I stated it's your call.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Try this
by Tufenuf / May 5, 2005 10:10 PM PDT

wjochetz, Have you tried doing a System Restore to the closest date prior to these problems started? Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. Pick a date which will appear in bold letters prior to when this mess started. A virus/trojan/malware has messed up all your file associations and it's going to be difficult to get them back but hang in there we'll try our best to help. Try the System Restore which hopefully will work.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Re:
by wjochetz / May 7, 2005 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this

I cant use system restore because that is one of the files or programs that is having association problems. I also cant open any of the programs being recomended to download.

Collapse -
Re;
by Tufenuf / May 7, 2005 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:
Collapse -
WOJO -- see inside!
by Cadillac84 / May 6, 2005 10:03 AM PDT

Looks like you may have (what we call) double-posted this problem. I answered you at the other thread and then later I saw this one.

Have a look at

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=12858&messageID=1173444

but, IF you cannot see file extensions in your Windows Explorer listings, read my SECOND reply to you as well as my first.

I don't mean to diminish the advice given you here, but you got an excellent answer at the other thread (actually, the answer was directed to someone else, and your post was simply that you were having the same problem).

I assumed that since the thread was from February and you posted to it yesterday (or today?), you had read the advice and it hadn't helped you. I think my reply addressed the reasons you had not been helped by the advice.

Give it a look-see. Ignore the "you didn't say what operating system" because I figured out you are using WinXP.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.