Windows Legacy OS

Question

File date stamp on XP

by Karltee / November 12, 2011 5:09 AM PST

When my computer automatically changs to/from daylight-savings times
its causes my file's date stamps to change 1 hour (it keeps the same day).
I mean, files that were created years ago, change by 1 hour. This causes my
incremental backup to try to backup all my files.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: File date stamp on XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: File date stamp on XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2011 1:44 PM PST
In reply to: File date stamp on XP

I saw that years ago. It's a "windows annoyance" that you dance around or get better software that can get the unadjusted GMT date/time stamp.

in other words, yup. XP does that but more specifically your backup app needs to know this about XP!
Bob

Collapse -
File date stamp on XP
by Karltee / November 13, 2011 4:04 PM PST
In reply to: Yup.

It has to be an OS problem because there is where the created dates orginate.
Why would a date change on a clock change and how?

Collapse -
There are long discussions about this issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2011 2:57 AM PST

The answer to why is that the maker of this OS didn't think it through. And then you have the backup software author not thinking this would be an issue.

In my world (the place I work) we use GMT. Some users can't deal with that and learn later why we insisted on GMT for all time related issues.
Bob

Collapse -
File date stamp on XP
by Karltee / November 14, 2011 12:49 PM PST

"The answer to why is that the maker of this OS didn't think it through."
Should I ask Bill Gates? Bachup only use the info that windows give it .. it doesn't
change or correct the time on the computer.. I must have a corrupt file that
I have fail to eliminate thru reinstalling windows XP. What windows file is
the "date/time" file?
What is the answer, and it's more than your statement (not answer) of through thought!
Karltee

Collapse -
The answer is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2011 1:04 PM PST

To get the backup software to deal with it. This old OS is not going to be updated and you can find anomalies in handling time in other places. You as the software author get to dance around the time issues.

There are some that expected XP to be all patched up and without issue. All you can do is discuss and be nice.
Bob

Collapse -
Incomplete Question
by Karltee / November 15, 2011 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: The answer is

The backup is used to update another computer which has time stamp that doesn't change and instead of updating 10 files it wants to update 2000+ files.Sorry about that!
Karl

Collapse -
So you have a buggy app?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2011 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: Incomplete Question

The author needs to be asked how to fix it. Since XP does not support changing the timezone per user you see how you can run afoul of this issue,

It's an old issue. One that I think folk today would have been fixed or addressed. It wasn't.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
If you need more proof this is busted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2011 2:04 AM PST

Look at the date/time of some files on CD. Now check the date time of that CD on Windows 9x/2000/xp/vista and 7.

Why would this change as we change Windows versions?

The gang that couldn't shoot straight also can't tell time.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.