The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

FBI raids office of D.C. CTO, Obama appointee

by Francis_Burdett / March 12, 2009 1:34 AM PDT

This story has only just popped up in the last hour, so it very well could resolve itself very quickly and be a non-story by the afternoon.

And of course there is no indication at all that the FBI raid has any direct involvement with Vivek Kundra.

but as it stands:

"Federal agents this morning are searching the office Washington, D.C.'s Chief Technology Officer.

The search is part of "an ongoing investigation," said a spokeswoman for the FBI's D.C. Field Office, Lindsay Gotwin, said. She declined to comment further on the raid of office, at 1 Judiciary Square.

The Washington Post reported that the FBI arrested Yusuf Acar, 40, an information systems security official in the office.

The outgoing Chief Technology Officer, Vivek Kundra, was appointed last week Chief Information Officer by the Obama administration. His last day at the city government office was February 4, a spokeswoman for D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty, Leslie Kershaw, said. He was appointed to the Washington post in 2007.

"We know the FBI is over there but that's all we know," said a staffer in the D.C. CTO's office, Mario Field, who was working from a separate location. Another source familiar with the raid said the FBI had sent all staffers other than senior executives home for the day. WTOP Radio reported that agents are searching the 9th and 10th floors of the building.

A White House spokesman had no immediate comment.

D.C. mayor's spokeswoman Kershaw said, "Our office has been alerted of FBI's being at CTO office, but we cannot comment until it's over and we get more details."

No one answered a phone listed in Acar's name."
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FBI raids office of D.C. CTO, Obama appointee
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FBI raids office of D.C. CTO, Obama appointee
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by n74jw / March 12, 2009 1:41 AM PDT

I can say I am not surprised, the man is a politician...

Collapse -
(NT) wow, this really must frustrate the admin's staffing efforts
by shmody / March 12, 2009 4:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
What the?
by Nicholas Buenk / March 12, 2009 10:51 AM PDT

Does nobody in the Obama administration know how to vet people?

Collapse -
Vivek Kundra on leave pending more details
by Francis_Burdett / March 12, 2009 2:26 PM PDT

"SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Obama appointee Vivek Kundra is on leave from his White House post following the arrest Thursday of one of his former colleagues on suspicion of bribery and money laundering.
Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs called the FBI investigation of Yusuf Acar, Kundra's former staffer at the District of Columbia technology office, "a serious matter," according to published reports.
Kundra does not appear to be a target of the investigation.
Obama last week named Kundra as the White House's first chief information officer, placing him in charge of strategic planning for federal technology spending. Kundra had previously served as chief technology officer for the District, overseeing its technology purchases and policies.
Kundra will be on leave until further details of the FBI investigation become known, according to a White House official.
According to documents released by the U.S. Attorney's office for the District of Columbia, the FBI obtained permission on Thursday to arrest Acar on charges of conspiracy to commit bribery, wire fraud and money laundering.
Kundra's name does not appear anywhere in the documents."
Collapse -
The hits just keep on coming
by DangMI / March 13, 2009 12:49 AM PDT

I had the same question as above re: vetting skills. Now, when it seems to be a staff member I feel a little bit better--you can't vet everyone the guy knows--but I'm left with 2 concerns: If you're the boss, then you're responsible for your staff--how do so many of your people get away with something like this? and Why are they putting Kundra on leave? Makes me worried that there's another show waiting to drop.

Collapse -
What else?
by n74jw / March 13, 2009 1:49 AM PDT

It is very curious how this seems to be happening so prevalently in the Obama administration. What else is going on, that we don't know about? Conspiracy theorists could argue that the rash of political scandals are the work of the previous administration doing anything to dis-credit folks in the Obama camp. If not the previous administration, then may another party deeper in the mess of American politics.

Why would all of this come to light now? Perhaps those holding the closet doors closed are no longer willing to and are bowing to some unforeseen pressure. I am quite confident that the goings on here will be in some tell-all book a couple of years from now.

Collapse -
I've gotta admit
by DangMI / March 13, 2009 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: What else?

that theory crossed my mind. Particularly as the previous administration seemed to have a default setting of: attack the person.

Collapse -
Did anyone read this story before replying?
by rgunther / March 13, 2009 12:21 PM PDT

This story (and follow-on news) states that someone in the office was arrested--NOT Obama's appointee. It's pretty obvious that nobody who commented on this post actually read the story. Knee-jerk much?

Collapse -
Find a mirror
by DangMI / March 14, 2009 10:18 PM PDT

The OP makes it clear that it is not directly involving Kundra:
"there is no indication at all that the FBI raid has any direct involvement with Vivek Kundra".

Another notes he went on leave, but includes: "Kundra does not appear to be a target of the investigation." and "Kundra's name does not appear anywhere in the documents."

I noted it wasn't Kundra but worry about his management skills and didn't understand why he went on leave.

The next post is about conspiracy theory, definitely NOT against Kundra et al: "could argue that the rash of political scandals are the work of the previous administration doing anything to dis-credit folks in the Obama camp".

So, when you subtract Shalin saying this must be frustrating--which clearly it has to be--you end up with 2 out of 8 posts which sort of do what you're saying happened in all of them.

Broad-brush much?

Collapse -
by rgunther / March 15, 2009 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Find a mirror

All the time. But I appreciate being grounded every once in a while. I deserved that.

Collapse -
What a classy reply!
by DangMI / March 16, 2009 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Broad-brushing

Good for you--I hope I can accept such with as much balance.

The reason I caught it is because I can be pretty good at it (broad-brusing) myself. <g>

Collapse -
by n74jw / March 14, 2009 11:44 PM PDT

Is this clown going to be paid while on his leave of absence?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.