Windows Vista forum

General discussion

fax software compatible with Vista Home Premium?

by linhelen / February 8, 2007 12:14 AM PST

Seems there is no fax program included in Vista Home Premium (a seriously bad omission, in my opinion) and I am having a lot of difficulty finding one that is compatible. Just called BVRP re Classic Phone Tools which was on my previous system and was told they have no plans to issue a Vista-compatible version. I do not want to upgrade to another version of Vista just for the fax capability. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: fax software compatible with Vista Home Premium?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: fax software compatible with Vista Home Premium?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No Vista Fax Software
by Jo59 / February 21, 2007 12:03 AM PST

I'm looking for the same thing. I can't believe no Vista comatible Fax software has been written, especially since MS has taken it out of the Premium version. What a mistake!! This will keep many from upgrading and with no outside sources, it is unbelievable that MS dropped it. It appears that even some of the most well known fax programs are no longer even available for WinXP, unless you find some used software. The BVRP program you mentioned hasn't been updated since 2003, I think, as I tried it and it wouldn't even work with my XP SP2. And WinFax is no longer listed on the Symantec site. Home users need something that isn't extremely expensive...the kind that used to come for free with fax modems. (lite versions, for example)

Collapse -
No Vista Fax Software
by fakesnake / February 21, 2007 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: No Vista Fax Software

just had a look on the MS site, and it tells how to send a fax if you have office installed. not sure if any help.

Collapse -
Any more detail?
by corona2515 / February 26, 2007 6:43 AM PST
In reply to: No Vista Fax Software

I have looked on the msft website and found nothing that seems to relate. Can someone offer more detail on how to set this up?

Collapse -
fax software for Windows Home Permium
by 3-d max / April 19, 2008 4:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Any more detail?

looking for a fax software for windows vista premium

check out RKSSOFTWARE at www.rkssoftware.com

Collapse -
RKS
by NoDeity / April 27, 2008 7:22 PM PDT

I downloaded RKS fax program very recently and tried it on Vista. Seems to me that it works perfectly. It does as much as I need a fax program to do and it's only twenty bucks. I'm using the 30-day evaluation right now and I'll most likely pay the registration fee before the evaluation period is up.

Collapse -
RKS
by NoDeity / May 1, 2008 7:15 PM PDT

I downloaded it, tried it, then registered it.

RKS fax works beautifully with Vista and XP -- and, at only $19.95 USD, it compares very well to more expensive products such as Snappy Fax.

Collapse -
Fax softwear
by Eggman / February 24, 2007 11:14 PM PST

Well you answered my question about Phone tools. Too bad I've used it since Win 98.
My copy of Vista Business does include a Windows fax program, (the same one that was offered in XP)
Has any one checked their Add & Remove Windows programs to see if it is hidden in there & just not installed?

Collapse -
Snappy Fax works!
by omoya / February 25, 2007 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: Fax softwear

Though it balked at Vonage a bit, Snappy Fax, baud rate lowered to 9600, finally worked for me. It's $29...and now I don't have to upgrade to a more expensive version of Vista! Ya-hooooooo!

Collapse -
Thanks for Snappy Fax info.
by linhelen / February 26, 2007 6:52 AM PST
In reply to: Snappy Fax works!

I will give it a try.

Collapse -
Snappy Fax Works
by vistaweary / March 26, 2007 11:00 AM PDT

I went to the web site and you're right! Thank you. I have a fax modem in my Home Premium so am assuming this will work. Is there anything else I would need to purchase?

Collapse -
Snappy Fax
by trents20 / May 4, 2007 11:51 PM PDT

I downloaded and installed SnappyFax. It has a lot of sophisticated features that I would never use but it doesn't seem to have one basic tool that I use all the time and that many of the OEM fax programs have. That is, the ability to add note to the cover page just before sending the fax. You know, stuff like "Please put this in the mail slot outside of John Smith's office."

Collapse -
Questions about Snappy Fax
by Eggman / May 5, 2007 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Snappy Fax

I guess I'm lazy because it is easier to ask a few questions about Snappy fax vs just downloading it.
Does it answer your phone with a voice message & record messages & or receive fax's?
Can you send a fax directly from Excel or Word?
With Vista Business Business I can send fax's but to receive one I must manually answer the call which is no help.
Plus there is no voice mail feature.
Eggman

Collapse -
Snappy Fax
by omoya / May 5, 2007 1:52 AM PDT

Because I use Vonage, I never got to find out all it could do! But yes, you can send directly from Word (never tried Excel, but given it's one of those fax printer setups, I can't see why not). And as I recall from setting it up, you could set it to receive faxes at once, instead of having to be home to manually accept them. I doubt that it would allow you to set up a special message, though--that part I'm not sure about! They've got a wonderful support guy--email 'im! He'll tell you everything!

Collapse -
Your questions about SnappyFax
by trents20 / May 5, 2007 2:15 AM PDT

Can't answer all your questions but in my bit of experimentation with the product I can tell you it will send faxes directly from other Windows apps. It installs itself as a "fax printer" and you will see it as a printer choice in your print dialog box in Word, Excel, etc.

Steve

Collapse -
disable windows fax & scan
by cowpuncher007 / June 8, 2007 8:52 AM PDT

I downloaded snappy fax & it seems great. I won't use most of what it does, but I need to fax sheets straight from excel & it does. However, the program says the fax port is in use by another process. I have vista business. Do I need to disable fax & scan? How do I do this?

Collapse -
Do I need to disable fax & scan?
by Eggman / June 8, 2007 11:45 AM PDT

My guess is yes. The same problem happens in XP when using Phone Tools.
In add & remove programs found as a link un your control panel. When add & removed is loaded there is a column on the left that is for adding & removing windows components. Just un-check the box for the Fax program click apply & that will take care of it.

Collapse -
disable
by cowpuncher007 / June 9, 2007 6:48 AM PDT

Thanks. I disabled "scan & fax" & snappyfax worked like a charm!

Collapse -
RKS Fax - what's worse than the software?
by albethere-19120931692113232100751366640185 / February 2, 2008 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: disable

I started a new thread in PC Utilities and then noticed this discussion so I'm reposting here.

I was ten days into the trial verion of RKS fax that I installed on my new system (Vista)... you know the story. I was trying to send an urgent 23 page fax which wasn't working. I installed and used the repair tool, rebooted several times, kept trying ... after the eighth time a window pops up with the message that the trial period was expired.

I sent an email to the company asking for a solution.

Their response: they accused me of trying to cheat to the expiry date, being 'snipey'?, corrected a spelling mistake I made, said that of the many thousands of their users - nobody else has had the problem I described, and told me to move on.

Not even Microsoft has this much arrogance about their products and this was the most appalling example of customer service I've ever experienced. I can't imagine how they'd responded if I had used a swear word.

Companies that think they can get away with this because they're shielded behind the internet don't deserve anyone's business. I felt harassed. Fortunately, I still had my old system running and got my fax out using XP.

I've since installed the trial of snappy fax on vista, and it worked.

Collapse -
Price of Snappy Fax
by angiepoo1 / November 6, 2007 10:48 PM PST

In your posting, you said it only cost $29. I have been unable to find that price. What I see is $69.00. It really infuriates me that we have to pay for faxing. I wand my XP pro back.

Collapse -
problems with snappy fax
by scutfargus / January 14, 2008 3:45 AM PST

When I downloaded the trial version of snappy fax, it worked fine, although the interface was sort of crappy looking. But, that is not important. It worked as expected.

I paid for the $30 for the program and now, it does not work properly. I don't know if it is snappy fax or the new beta version of WPX4, but I fired up WPX3, and it no longer works here either. The problem is, it is trying to fax an extremely fine (and unreadable) fax. So, rather than faxing a typical page in less than a minute, it took about 3 minutes to fax maybe a 1/4th of the fax, so I canceled the fax. I tried to fix the settings in WP and in Snappy Fax, and even though I was able to set to standard fax mode in both programs, I still could not fax a normal fax as it should fax.

My second problem is, if I don't pick up the phone in time, the fax will answer and it will not close itself for a voice phone call. It does not recognize the difference between a voice call and an incoming fax, so the fax noises stay on, disrupting the call.

I also tried downloading RKS fax software ($20); and the interface is simpler and it worked flawlessly. I do not know about what happens when I get an incoming voice call yet.

I have no idea why Snappy Fax worked fine for the trial version and would not work correctly for the pay version. I have no idea why changing the resolution from "fine" to "standard" should be difficult to do (finding the option was not an easy task either; but changing the option in WP and in Snappy Fax did not change anything).

Collapse -
i tried that!
by omoya / February 26, 2007 6:54 AM PST

Thanks for the idea, though I did check and didn't find it anywhere! I also found an old version of WinFax from before Symantec bought it, but had no clue how to install it or even if I should. Is there any way to FIND those old WinFax files and manually install, I wonder?

Collapse -
WinFax 10.04
by omoya / February 26, 2007 11:32 PM PST
In reply to: i tried that!

There's a message board where someone got this running by using a few tweaks. I copied everything down, ordered an OEM version and will let you know if it works for me. I'm not expecting much, as I've jettisoned my Vonage fax line in favor of Send2Fax, which seems a viable alternative for now! I didn't NEED two lines, before the big upgrade to Home Premium. I'm so bummed...

Collapse -
Winfax tweak for Vista
by Trevor L / April 11, 2007 8:31 PM PDT
In reply to: WinFax 10.04

When you find the tweaks for Winfax 10.04 please let us have them.

Thanks

Collapse -
FaxTalk
by SDD27 / May 6, 2007 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Winfax tweak for Vista

Fax Talk (Fax Center Pro 7.5) now officially works with Vista, although that fact is still hidden away in the pages linked from their main web page at the time I write this. There's a 15 day trial version available for testing.

It's $60, which is more expensive than Snappy Fax, but as far as I can see from the trial version it's a lot nicer to use that the other available choices, and is much more intuitive and does all the right things (e.g., printing to the fax printer in any application automatically goes through the whole procedure to next bring up the fax interface to preview and send the document, and it also has all the funtionality of BVRP Phone Tools, allows previewing what is being sent plus attached files in the form they will appear as fax, and a lot of other nice features, such as interfacing with outlook.)

In fact, I liked it better than the fax and scan in Vista Ultimate, which I tried for comparison purposes by briefly doing a test install of Vista Ultimate on a separate partition without typing in an activation key. And even though $60 is a lot for the few faxes many of us send, it is still between half and a third the price of doing the anytime upgrade to Vista Ultimate.

Collapse -
WinFax tweak for Vista
by groucho7 / January 18, 2008 5:36 PM PST
In reply to: Winfax tweak for Vista

Has anyone found a tweak or any other way to make WinFax 10.04 work with Windows Vista? Thanks.

Collapse -
It definitely isn't there!
by Fenella1234 / June 12, 2007 5:26 PM PDT

I have Vista Home Basic and have checked the Add & Remove Windows programs several times (which is how I enabled it when i had XP) - it is definitely not there.

The only version of Vista that contains this is the business version - and no-one is going to upgrade just to get fax.

Collapse -
VISTA FAX FIX
by madatbill / March 9, 2007 10:35 AM PST

I HATE THE NEW VISTA. but i took out the new modem and put my old one in and run the software and it seams to run fine. It was in intel modem and BVRP SOFTWARE TOOLS

Collapse -
Help
by Eggman / March 9, 2007 10:39 PM PST
In reply to: VISTA FAX FIX

Your post is appreciated. But this dummy cant find the info you mentioned. Where did you get the modem?
What was it called?

Collapse -
Fax Compatible Software for Vista Home Premium
by hlevitt / March 13, 2007 2:19 AM PDT

First, I would like to say that it was really "stupid" for the Microsoft team to take the Fax component out of the Office version when upgrading to the new Office Professional 2007. When I purchased the new PC with Vista Home Premium, it comes with a fax card, but the computer does not come with any fax software. I went back to the store and they told me that unless you upgrade to Vista Business or Ultimate (for $800), this feature was not available. They recommended a third party fax software program. I was able to google for compatible software. It's called "Snappy Fax". You can download a free full version for 30 days. Version 4 of Snappy Fax is fully compatible with Windows Vista and works beautifully. You can import your MS Outlook Address Book into this vehicle. If you have a sheet fed scanner, the software is part of this package too. After 30 days, the cost is $29.99 website is www.snappysoftware.com

Definitely worth the $30 instead of $800!!!

Collapse -
Snappyy Fax doesn't work with Vonage (VOIP)
by omoya / March 13, 2007 2:46 AM PDT

I agree with you, and posted that info awhile back for others as well. The problem is...if you have Vonage or any other VOIP service, it won't work. So I'm still looking.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.