Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Faster connection 4 Xbox 360?

by Vladmyr / March 23, 2009 7:39 AM PDT

I currently have my 360 connected to a wireless router on the other side of the house (a couple rooms away). My Xbox live shows me at a steady 3 bars with an occasional bounce to a 4 bar connection. Four bars is max on the 360. How can i achieve a steady 4 bar connection? I've heard that if I "hard" wire my 360 directly to my Netgear Wireless (N) router I would see the difference in the connection. But will it get me the 4 bars?

Are there any other tricks or tips i could try? I really don't want to run a Either cable throughout my house.

thanks in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Faster connection 4 Xbox 360?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Faster connection 4 Xbox 360?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / March 23, 2009 11:06 AM PDT

No, those bars only indicate the signal strength, they don't have anything to do with the data rate. At least not when you're in the 75%+ range. Even if you ran an ethernet cable to the system, it can only connect as fast as your Internet connection, so unless you're trying to stream hi-def video from your desktop computer or something, you're worrying about nothing.

Collapse -
data rate?
by Vladmyr / March 24, 2009 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: No

No high def streaming here. Just trying to minimize my lag in online gaming on the xbox360. So are you saying i need to increase my data rate? How can i do that?

Btw, thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / March 24, 2009 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: data rate?

No, I'm just saying that your total connection speed is generally more limited by the service package you have with your ISP than anything else.

Lag is just one of those things that can be impossible to pinpoint, because the cause is always changing. But some common causes would be that someone is running a file sharing program on the computer, which is sapping the bandwidth on the Internet connection, and just being on a cable Internet service, where you're sharing a finite supply of bandwidth with all your neighbors within probably at least a 500ft radius. If you're only one of a small number of people on a given cable hub, then lucky you, but if a whole mess of people are on that hub, then you've got a problem.

Just make sure that there's nothing else on your LAN that might be sucking up bandwidth, and that's probably the best possible thing you can do to reduce lag. You don't need some special "gaming" router, but it doesn't hurt to have a decent one, not some cheap POS that was on sale for next to nothing at Best Buy or one of those.

Collapse -
Thanks Jimmy
by Vladmyr / March 25, 2009 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: No

Thanks for all the info! I guess it must be the load on my hub. You saved me a bit of time and money with your advice, i was going to run a few "experiments" to see if i can get better lag defense. Such as: Hard wire, pay for an increase in bandwidth, new router. But i guess there is nothing i can really do.

I don't think it's my router, i got a NetGear Range max btw. and i'm quite happy with it. I will probably update it's firmware and such but i doubt it will help in the end.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Collapse -
360 Xbox
by rebroker2006 / March 26, 2009 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Jimmy

I used to have my xbox on a wireless N router (connected wirelessly) but switched it to a wired connection and I find that there is a difference with speed and no more lagging issues...hope this helps

Collapse -
Xbox 360
by wthilo / March 26, 2009 1:44 PM PDT
In reply to: 360 Xbox

You can do a serach to see what settings your router has than can sometines affect the speed of the connection, such as the MTU setting. Also, if you are using 2.4 Ghz phones, these will interfere with your wirelesss connection (recommend switching to 5.8 GHz). I don't know what brand of router you have, they are not all equal, therefore I recommend researching the various routers and determine which ones are more highly rated for speed. Also if one of the rooms between your Xbox and the router is a bathroom or kitchen, you will experience a significant drop in signal strength and possiibly speed as these rooms have a lot of electrical and plumbing in the walls. Check your broadband package and see if you have the highest speed, most providers offer packages at different data rates. Whatever you do you cannot get as fast and reliable of a connection than you can through ethernet.

Collapse -
Switch to Fios
by Jackofblade / April 1, 2009 12:52 AM PDT

If Verizon Fios is available in your area. Switch to its internet service pronto. I used to have Verizon high speed dsl and had the same problems as you (even worse). My system routinely showed only 1-2 bars. And I had serious lag time online. Verizon Fios internet became available in my area last month and I made the switch. The difference was dramatic and huge. I immediately went to full (4) bars status. Netflix streaming (instant)looked beautiful and had zero delays. And all of the lags disappeared during online gaming. Fios internet blows all of its competition away in my view.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.