Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Far right side of web pages doesn't print out.

by jpbay / April 7, 2006 1:27 PM PDT

Can any of you more experienced folks tell me how to get an entire web page to print out? If, for example, I try to print a CNET article, the right side of the page gets cut off. Is there a Windows setting, a printer setting, that I don't know about? Is there a software program that facilitates this?
I use Windows XP Media with a Cannon MP390 Printer.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Far right side of web pages doesn't print out.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Far right side of web pages doesn't print out.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Choose Landscape
by Elmer G. West / April 7, 2006 1:55 PM PDT

I also have eperienced this problme. To enable printing the far right side of web pages use these procedures:

1. Open your processor(I use MS Word 2003)
2. Click File
3. Open Print
4. Click Properities
5. Chose Landscape (Reveals a horizonal image)
6. Select Print again and well, print.

Hope this helps you.

Collapse -
by jpbay / April 8, 2006 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Choose Landscape

Thanks Elmer. Had to put my printer in Landscape. It does the trick, but seems like a big waste of paper. I downloaded a free trial of "Snagit" and will play with that for awhile.

Collapse -
This will work for most
by retired / April 8, 2006 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Landscape

Click file, page setup and set all margins to 0.25

Collapse -
printing whole page
by glennlee / April 8, 2006 3:18 AM PDT

It sounds like you are viewing pages with your font size set too large. If you are using IE, go to view, text size, and choose medium. If that allows you to see the whole page without horizontal scrolling, you will be able to print the page in portrait format on your printer, without losing the right portions of the page. Let us know if you are successful.

Collapse -
Far Right
by jpbay / April 8, 2006 4:34 AM PDT

Well, Frank and Glenn, I've tried your suggestions and no improvement. Text is set to medium. Reducing margins did help a little. I tried different monitor resolutions - (1024X768 pixels shows entire c/net page on my 17" crt monitor).
If I try to print any c/net page right now, the right cutoff is just at the right edge of the "How-to" tab near top of the page. Can't find any applicable settings in my printer window. Didn't we used to have a "print screen" button in some years past?
Well, thanks for your help, didn't mean to make a big deal out of this.

Collapse -
print screen
by glennlee / April 8, 2006 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Far Right

I am not sure why your system is not printing the screen when you use IE menu options to print the screen if what you want is on the screen. You do have a built in print screen function in XP. If what you want to print is currently occupying one screen (without having to cursur over to see the right hand part), press your prt scr button. The page is now in the clipboard. You can use Word, or any graphic program to paste the page by using paste under the edit function. On my system the page comes out in a graphic box with all formatting and graphics intact. You can expand the graphic box to fill the entire screen horizontally by grabbing the right lower corner and dragging it. Then you can print it from Word.

Collapse -
Another suggestion
by eddie11013 / April 8, 2006 11:48 PM PDT
In reply to: print screen

If the websites I want to print has a lot of graphics, ads, or other junk I don't want to waste ink and paper printing, I highlight (hold down the left mouse button and drag) what I do want to print, then go File->Print and place a check next to Selection under Page Range, so that it only prints what I wanted

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.