Desktops forum

General discussion

Fan speeds up - Is this a problem?

by doowopper / February 10, 2007 9:51 PM PST

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4600. Recently I noticed that the fan in the computer seems to speed up. I notice this because, for several minutes at a time, I hear a louder than normal wooshing sound coming from the computer and then the sound dies down. This happens about 5-10 times a day. It sure sounds like the fan.
Why does this louder than normal wooshing sound happen and does it indicate a problem? If it may be a problem, what should I do about it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fan speeds up - Is this a problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fan speeds up - Is this a problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Themally controller fan.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 9:58 PM PST

It just means the fan sensor thought it was too warm and cooled it off. Not busted.

However one area of maintenance few seem to do is that yearly dustoff of the heatsinks and inside the PC. PCs are not zero maintenance items.

Collapse -
Fan Speeds Up
by irvingh30 / February 15, 2007 6:54 PM PST

I have the same problem, if this can be called a problem, anyway my suggestion would be to buy silent fans to low the noise level, that also helps, what i did was change the PSU to a cooler one and also the cooler of my intel P4 is now a 3D rocket, that keeps my pc and everything under 50

Collapse -
Fan speeds up
by steelburner / February 15, 2007 8:09 PM PST

Modern operating BIOS' and motherboards interact dynamically in real-time. There is a thermal sensor in the MoBo which the BIOS tests at start-up as part of the Power-On Self-Test (POST) and periodically during the operation of the computer. Initially the CPU cooler fan starts up at full speed, then tapers down to a proper speed as the MoBo and BIOS talk to one another, keeping the CPU at an optimum temperature throughout its operation.

Short answer? No problem. Your "whooshing" fan is just "hunting" for its best, most optimum operating speed.

Collapse -
Fan Speeds Up
by dkniskern / February 15, 2007 8:54 PM PST

My Dell Dimension 4700C sounds like a darn cropduster most of the time, and has since the day I got it. Sometimes it gets so bad I get airsick and think I'm Penny on Sky King!

Collapse -
Check air vents
by klappjack / February 15, 2007 9:55 PM PST
In reply to: Fan Speeds Up

Make sure your air vents are clear. PC's are great at attracting dust. My Dimension E510 is constantly plugging up in the air intake (I have several shedding dogs in the house plus a lot of dust.). When I hear the fan speed up, I know it's time to clean the intake.

Collapse -
No fan noise is a bigger problem on stock PCs
by mewise1 / February 15, 2007 11:37 PM PST

I have a HP Media Center PC and when I first installed it there was no fan noise at all. It turns out that there was a problem in the CPU temp sensor and it never indicated it was hot so the fan speed ran slow all the time. Sure enough after a 2 hour MPEG compression task the CPU burned up. Now after a new CPU and motherboard replacement, the fan will occasionally speed way up to keep things cool. The sound is kinda reassuring that everything is working properly.

Collapse -
No fan noise is a bigger problem on stock PCs
by rhamapefan / February 16, 2007 10:54 AM PST

i have an asus k8n-e deluxe, this motherboard comes with A.I which not only reduces the chances of total failure of the pc in times of crisis but also it has the ability to reduce the temperature of the pc components by increasing the fan speed. this process is part of a program built into the bios called "cool and quiet" when the pc is cool its quiet but as the temp increases due to gaming or demanding applications running the fans can be heard and, on the fan controller i have installed to suppliment this process, seen to increase the speed thus increasing the noise and cooling capabilities.
one possible answer to keeping the noise down, is to increase the size of the fan, my case exhaust fan is now a 120mm fan that not only has a larger surface area but it also moves a larger volume of air at lower revs thus reducing the noise.
hope this helps and i wouldnt worry as people have suggested above

Collapse -
fan getting louder
by chevymancu / February 16, 2007 2:17 AM PST

in mine it was dusting the fan real good

Collapse -
Your Biggest Fan
by Hforman / February 16, 2007 2:32 PM PST

As the power of computers increase, temperature can be a big problem. Most Pentium processors and AMD units have extra cooling systems for the processor as well as the inside of the case.

While most of the time, your fan seems to run at a low speed, there is circuitry to speed up the fan when sensors incate the temperature gets too hot. In fact, I found out my Dell has three speeds. In your Dell software, you should find a set of diagnostic programs (at least one). If you CAREFULLY run these, you can tell how the hardware is working (please don't run any test that WRITES to your hard disk or you can lose everything). Included is a FAN test that will run your fan at the different speeds.

Heavy graphic programs can cause your processor or video section to heat up. Eventually, you can match your activities to the sound of the fan and you will know what activities of yours will speed up the fan.

The only way around this would be to tinker with the "insides" of your computer to replace parts of the cooling system if you can find fans that would do the job but run quieter. I would find professional help in this area since the "penalty" for using the wrong fans can be destruction of parts of your computer system due to excessive heat. One option, if you really want a quiet machine, would be to install a water-cooled system. Once again, if you are not handy working with electronics and tools inside your computer, you can probably get the service department at the store to install it for a price.

By the way, some computers will have a readout that tells you the temperature inside the computer.

Collapse -
How do I clean my pc so it doesn't overheat
by saab 900 / February 16, 2007 10:54 PM PST
In reply to: Your Biggest Fan

I have an Acer TravelMate242/lc. I notice the fan run faster particularly when I am forcing it to play Sims 1 with all eps and lots of downloads but on only half the recommended RAM of 512. How do I keep the laptop clean so it doesn't burn out? I have two short haired cats and a visiting dog to put fluff into the equation.
My friend has a Packard Bell desktop. About 18 months ago it ground to a halt, completely fluffed up and overheated. It has never worked properly since and is now looking at either a new hard drive or new motherboard, potentially both. I suspect something got badly damaged by our attempts to use the pc while it was overheating. It's no laughing matter. So I really want to keep my laptop clean.

Collapse -
fan too noisey
by ogdad223 / February 17, 2007 2:11 PM PST

dont be shy turn that suckey off unplug take the side cover off and take long hose with a plastic end of the vacumn cleaner and blow all the fuzz out and the turn the hose on the other end and suck the other side in and reinstall the cover and make sure it is clean and free of the dust bunnies it will help and you will be sooooooooo happy and the fans and boards will too.

Collapse -
Hoovering the Acer
by saab 900 / February 21, 2007 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: fan too noisey

Advice much appreciated, thanks. Now if only I knew how to dismantle my lap top, and, more importantly, get it back together again without breaking anything! Don't fancy turning up at the repairshop with a bag of bits.

Collapse -
this is how u fix your fan speed issue
by 13bcliff / November 17, 2012 10:40 AM PST
In reply to: Hoovering the Acer

ok first off think of this dell heatsinks on the e510 is like a temp sensor ok
on the bottem where its orange it needs to have thermal paste on it to contat the cpu
ive had this prob for like a month an i fixed it
all you do is take out the cpu put a thin layer of paste on it id say the size of 2 grans of rice
next on th heatsink do the same but only where the cpu will sits
put them together an it will be quiet
to test it i played gta4 almost maxed out with a shirt in the btx intake case an with in 8 mins of playin it went to 100% fan load when i took it out it went back down an when i shut down the game to get to the cpu to idel the fan went back to a silent 800 rpm speed Happy
silent dell

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.