Laptops

General discussion

Fan noise on Toshiba Satellite A35-S159

by dricc15 / January 7, 2005 10:57 PM PST

Hi - I own a Toshiba Satellite A35-S159 and I was curious if anyone else has one and has the same issue I am. The fan on this notebook is extremeley loud and was wondering if there was a way to either shut if off completley or to quiet it. Would anyone have any info? Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fan noise on Toshiba Satellite A35-S159
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fan noise on Toshiba Satellite A35-S159
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't shut it off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2005 11:09 PM PST

This is how the unit stays cool.

Have you called it in? I find making multiple calls may be required to get results.

Bob

Collapse -
re:Fan noise on Toshiba Satellite A35-S159
by fritzman / January 26, 2005 7:20 AM PST

I own the same beast. Keeping the fan openings and the exhaust open for air circulation helps a wee bit. You can tinker with the power management settings... in standby mode slow down everything which presumably generates less heat.
Kicker is, the fans come on howling even in standby mode. I am still looking for Hibernation mode...

Collapse -
re: fan noise
by narin.s / March 18, 2005 3:02 AM PST

u cant do much about the fan noise, theres a setting in power management utility where u can put it on silent mode, but if ur doing anything really processor intensive that might cause it to overheat and shut off
there is a hibernation mode in powermanagement

Collapse -
Fan noise?
by arbee65 / March 18, 2005 7:06 AM PST

I have a Satellite too....and have a constant buzz on it over any microphone attached....might that be the fan or just a loose connection within?

Collapse -
Loud Fan
by ssg / March 19, 2005 10:21 PM PST
In reply to: Fan noise?

My daughter has a Sony Vaio and when dust collects around the fan or the heat syncs, it produces a loud noise, sorta like an airplane taking off. Instead of taking the unit to a repair facility or removing the base of the unit to access the fan, I took a can of compressed air and cleaned around the fan and heat syncs via the open holes in the base. This made a hugh difference and you should have seen the dust and fuzz balls come out. The unit now runs as quiet as when it was new. When the dust and lint was still in the unit, the computer would shut off because of the heat build up. I hope this will help you too. Let me know!

Collapse -
WHY A VIAO
by Shankz112 / May 1, 2005 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Loud Fan

sorry but sony notebooks are a waste of money, it's just the name people look at.

Collapse -
No fan of your fan??
by server / March 18, 2005 9:18 PM PST

The fan is there to assist in cooling and is controlled by a thermal sensor. If your fan has become too noisy you may need a new one as the barrings may have worn down. Other options include:

You can use "Silent mode" (at the expense of cpu speed)Installing two rubber feet at the bottom to raise the laptop away from the table surface thus allowing for more cooling. Or you can google for a small program called Fan.exe Try Toshiba and Fan.exe I use it off and on but try not to overide the fan too much. You might also want to check what is causing your fan to turn on all the time by launching windows task manager and look at the performance tab. If a particular program or application is holding the CPU at 100% for more than a couple seconds then you know this why your fan always turns on. I've noticed even some websites, that use flash can cause the CPU to run 100% causing the fan to start. When I closed this web page the CPU went down and the fan turned off. Generally speaking, as the fan gets older the noise becomes louder.

Collapse -
Loud fan on Sattelite
by philargyry / April 15, 2005 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: No fan of your fan??

I have a different Sattelite (A45), which screams so loudly that I have been asked to turn off my laptop in meetings so people can hear what others are saying.

I tried the tip above, and my CPU is indeed being kept at 100%. I don't know that I can do anything about it, though, since the application that is causing it to run so high is System Idle Process. I've noticed that before in Windows XP. Is there anything to be done about that?

Collapse -
one too many...
by server / April 15, 2005 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Loud fan on Sattelite

>>I don't know that I can do anything about it, >>though, since the application that is causing it to >>run so high is System Idle Process.

If your CPU is @ 100%, 100% of the time then you
must have a rogue app running/hogging all the CPU
cycles. You must find what program is causing this. System Idle Proc always runs but is not the one causing your problems. shut down every running
program (one by one)and see if the CPU usage goes down.

Collapse -
Have you tried playing loud music?
by culture_of_one / March 19, 2005 12:23 PM PST

It might help to take your mind off the problem...

Silly

Collapse -
Fan noise on a35 satellite
by Shankz112 / May 1, 2005 12:27 PM PDT

Hey I also have a Toshiba A35 Satellite and also noticed that the noise of the fan is extremely loud. I was also wondering if there is a way to fix the fans noise.

Collapse -
Fan noise on a35 satellite
by grajee / May 21, 2005 3:33 AM PDT

Hello All,

I do have Satellite A35-S159 which I bought 18 months before. Overall, I'm not happy with the system as it has been giving one or the other problem. Once in a
while, the system used to shutdown while watching a
movie via the DVD Rom drive. This used to happen when
I was in the US. I returned to India one year before
and since then whenever I watch a Movie the system
shutsdown in about 15 mins time. Twice, it shutdown while I was working on it as well.

I felt the bottom of the system and it was extremely hot. Since then I place a book underneath the laptop
such that the heated part of the bottom does not touch the surface.

I believe it is very much because of heat (especially
due to the Tropical Climate of Bangalore).

I would also like to think that this is more with the
Pentium IV laptops (compared to Cetrino based Laptops).

If someone has something else to share please email
me to grajee@yahoo.com

Thanks
Gopi

Collapse -
Time for an Operation....
by server / May 21, 2005 3:41 AM PDT

Search for my post on Thermal Shutdown
several pages down. Since your machine
is already out of WARRANTY, then the
suggestion and tips there should help
you lots.

Collapse -
Toshiba Satellite
by RaeAtkinson / December 9, 2005 6:54 AM PST

Hmm... my toshiba did this right before it died a fourth time...lol....its only nine months old. the fan was starting to seperate from the motherboard. you need to open it up and inspect it further.

Collapse -
...Re:possible solution
by narin.s / December 7, 2005 2:34 AM PST

i have the same A35 S159 and used to experience the same probs, shutting down all the time due to overheating,this is probably due to the fans not cooling efficiently enough, which i realized is due to dust and lint,a possible solution is tryin to clean the fans,i`m not sure if a can of pressurized air will work, but what i did was to take the vacuum cleaner hose to the fans, make sure that the unit is off when your doing this, u can place the hose up to the fan vents at the bottom of the unit, i noticed a lot of dust and lint came through when i did this, it really helped with cooling, since cleaning it the fan noise has decreased and most importantly the unit doesnt overheat anymore, periodically doing this helps with cooling and the fan noise. Hope this helps, worked for me. Good luck!

btw, anyone with this laptop had probs with the dvd rom, mine simply stopped reading dvd`s, the CD-R and RW works fine, but it refuses to read dvd`s, i`ve downloaded millions of drivers and tried everything, concluded its prolly a hardware prob...

Collapse -
Wow- A vacuum cleaner!
by mindfull / December 10, 2005 12:19 AM PST

Hello All.
I have the same issue that's now come up on Gateway CX200X TabletPC. I've opened up the access panel & removed dust, then canned-air around the fan, then reinstalled. The noise is less, but still noticeably there...
Guess I'll try the vacuum idea and see how it goes. Also, if this helps, I noticed that the screws holding the fan in place affect the noise level. I don't encourage any major adjustments here, but a 1/4 turn lessened the noise significantly.
Open to any other insights.

Collapse -
it refuses to read dvd`s
by shahmilin / January 10, 2006 2:38 AM PST

i have the same issue,
it reads CD'd fine, Writes CD's fine but cannot read DVD or just does not want to read DVD what can i do ? any ideas?
or have to give back for Service?

Please let me know
Regards

Collapse -
2 things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2006 2:47 AM PST

1. You've strayed off topic.

2. You deserve your own post.

If this was my machine I'd test DVD playback with my GEEXBOX boot CD from google.com If the DVD played I'd know it's a software issue and look to uninstall and reinstall my DVD player software. If GEEXBOX had trouble with playing the DVD then I'd try a new DVD drive.

Cheap compared to repair shop rate unless its under warranty.

Bob

Collapse -
Vacuum cleaning works like charm!
by ck131 / March 18, 2011 9:36 AM PDT

Wow!!!!

Thank you for the tip! It works beautifully.

I have a Toshiba sattlelite A135 model. When it was new, the fan noise was not as noticeable as now. it was there, but it was fairly quiet. It's been a few years snce I bought it, and now it is making a noise like dirt bike.

I figure nothing to loose vacuuming the laptop, and after a minute of vacuum cleaning as suggested without any disassembling of the laptop, Wella! it is so quiet. It is so quiet, I can't tell if the fan is on or not.

Thank you, Thank you very much for the tip again.

Collapse -
Much of the same issue
by lost_thoughts / July 21, 2006 1:10 PM PDT

My Satellite A35 randomly shuts off if I leave it running for a prolonged period of time...but this can range from 15 minutes to 5 hours. Your issue may not have to do with the climate--mine gets really hot, too. Do you have problems charging it, or with the battery draining really quickly?

Collapse -
I have the same...
by lost_thoughts / July 21, 2006 1:02 PM PDT

I have had the same model for about three years. I took it to my nearby computer repair place for the fan and they found other issues...either my motherboard or processor needs to be replaced and they couldn't tell which. Apparently it was related to the fan. But the replacement of either of these would exceed the value of my machine. I may defect and get a Mac after all...Hopefully this helps.

Collapse -
I had the issue with ny HP and
by orlbuckeye / March 20, 2011 10:39 PM PDT

I called support and they had me reset the bios back to factory settings.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.