Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

False advertising

by garystvshow / May 5, 2013 9:35 AM PDT

I recent attempted to download Advaced care system which states
Orbit states " It's easy to use and 100% safe with no adware, spyware, or viruses."

I was redirected from orbit to cnet and downloading through your site cnet. Upon downloading Advanced SystemCare 6 (partially)I am left with no options except to download yahoo redirect virus, ebay, amazon, spigot, Saving slider...

Your advertising is false with intent to deceive.

Please advise how I remove those partialy installed componets from my computer

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: False advertising
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: False advertising
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Blue_Zee / May 5, 2013 8:01 PM PDT
In reply to: False advertising
Collapse -
False advertising on whose part? AFAIC .. IOBit is to blame.
by Carol~ Forum moderator / May 6, 2013 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: False advertising

The fact you stated IOBit claims ASC to be "easy to use and 100% safe with no adware, spyware, or viruses." would then have me pointing fingers at IOBit. Where CNET plays a part is questionable. From what I'm able to tell, the IObit toolbar is (partially) to blame.

• At the IOBit forum where one of many members complained about 'Spigot with a search settings.exe file', a moderator writes in its defense:

'First of all, it is not a required component of ASC at all. I would uninstall IObit toolbar and the other installed free applications if you don't want them on your PC. You should have unchecked that option when installing the recent ASC update if you didn't want them to be installed. I will not discuss those kind of optional extra installations, as I don't approve at all, but it is a way of promotion made for the compensation of cost of free applications.'

• Furthermore, one of our moderators (Donna Buenaventura) who has since "passed" used to test software. She tested ASC and wrote under the Installation section:

'The installer of Advanced SystemCare is bundled with Yahoo! Toolbar We often see programs that are bundled with unwanted components - and, when they are bundled with security programs - this really saddens most members of the security community'.

Only as an added note, she wrote In Conclusion:

'Advanced SystemCare does not live up to its name and could, if used incautiously, cause more problems than it would fix. The automatic tasks that it performs are unacceptable because the program does not request permission from the user. The poor startup performance of the system is another point to note and to the program's suggestion that NOD32, WinPatrol and Outpost processes are questionable is another unacceptable aspect of Advanced SystemCare. Users who want this kind of system utlility would be well advised to look elsewhere.'

Elsewhere, I found this:

What is spigot, inc - searchsettings.exe?:

Spigot, inc is a software company offering free extension applications for Mozilla Firefox browser called iObit Toolbar and Widgi Toolbar Platform. The extensions are considered malicious because it manipulated the browser to use Yahoo search even if the user is changing the search engines on manually to Google or Bing. Apart from that the Toolbar also provide dubious applications such as system scan and security scan options which serve for the benefits of iObit. Amazon and eBay search also included in the Toolbar

• Without installing and testing it myself, the only (above) information I can trust and attest to is Donna's.

• As far as your present situation is concerned. Try what was first suggested. AdwCleaner.

Did you check your browser's extensions for signs of related items mentioned in your post? If it doesn't help, after cleaning all your temporary files, try the (FREE) Revo Uninstaller.

If you're presently redirected to unwanted sites give the following a try:

Hitman Pro - It's free to use without a license. If a virus is found, you will receive a free 30-day license to remove the threat. Note: There are separate downloads for 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows 7.

Kaspersky's TDSSKiller - Instructions are listed below. (Additional instructions can be found here)

Best of luck..

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.