Computer Help forum

General discussion

failure to shut down/non responsive programs

by eilanna8989 / October 10, 2009 2:45 AM PDT

I dont know much about computers, so ill try my best to be as detailed as possible.
I have a Windows XP home edition with intel celeron m.
Yesterday, my computer refused to shut down. all it showed me was "saving your settings" for about 3 hours.
I finally had to shut it down from the power button.
Today, I tried opening up Itunes, and it wouldnt open.
I tried going to the "Add or Remove Programs" and I got a blank list.
I tried going to "my computer" but it took soo long for it to search for my items.
Finally, I tried opening up my antivirus system, (Avast) it sort of just froze mid-startup.
Whenever I try to restart/shutdown my computer all I get is my blank desktop, no icons, task bar, just my background.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: failure to shut down/non responsive programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: failure to shut down/non responsive programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
memory problem...
by d_adams / October 10, 2009 10:44 AM PDT

sounds like some of your memory spontaneously died. Not sure how much you know, but the system memory (also called RAM) is a fairly small stash of very 'fast' storage space that the computer uses to temporarily store a "process"-(a command; for instance, when you click on a program to start it) while it "waits in line", so to speak, for it's turn at using the CPU (central processing unit). This means, that without part of this memory, it's as if the "waiting line" has suddenly been shortened, but the amount of processes waiting is the same. To compensate for this, the computer allocates a piece of your hard disk (the big, but slow, piece of memory that everything in your computer is stored on) to use as RAM. But, as I said, the hard disk is slow. Very slow. The system memory is probably nearly ten, or more, times as fast. So, when part of the RAM died, it started using the hard disk (or even ignoring commands altogether), which caused extreme slowness.

So, now you need to fix it. First, this is not a serious problem. All you need to do, is buy a new RAM stick to replace the dead one. You will need to know what kind of memory it is (there are hundreds of types). So, I would advise taking the machine to someone nearby who fixes computers. They will be able to test my "bad memory theory" and tell you what type of memory to buy. They might even have an extra stick handy. The memory it's self shouldn't cost more than $40 in most cases.

Good luck

Collapse -
Or Maybe A Corrupt Profile..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 11:47 AM PDT

Please restart the computer into Safe Mode and log in as the hidden "Adminstrator" that you'll see.. As long as you've not created a password for "Administrator", then leave the password blank and press the "Enter" key.. Once that's done, access the "Control Panel", then the "User Accounts" icon, then create a new user and make sure the user has "administrative" privileges.. Once that's done, then restart the computer into "Normal" Windows and log in as the new user.. Once there, see if things function normally..

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

If the computer functions normally in Safe Mode and in the new profile, then you might need to insure the original problem wasn't a malware issue, so please download the free program below, install it, update it, then run full system scan and delete anything it finds. If the tool finds a lot of spyware and removes it, then you might try logging back into your original account profile and see if it functions correctly now.

Malwarebytes Antimalware

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
i tired everything!
by eilanna8989 / October 12, 2009 10:43 AM PDT

thanks! sadly, i tired this. someone told me to do a diagnostics log, but i couldnt get any information out of it. I have Avast on my computer, but everytime i try to do a scan, it stops at 6%(and everytime i do a scan, a trojan horse is found). I tried Malwarebytes, but it doesnt work, not even in safemode. I checked my firewall, but i got an error message. my internet is working fine, as well as all microsoft office programs and quicktime. sometimes, when i open up "my computer" it doesnt respond, as well as adding and deleting programs.

Collapse -
Yep, You Have Malware... So...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 12, 2009 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: i tired everything!

If you have Malwarebytes installed on the computer, then try navigating to the path below and change the name of the Malwarebytes executable.. Use Windows Explorer to access "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware\mbam.exe. Rename the "mbam.exe" file to "yourname.exe", then double click on the file to open and run Malwarebytes.

What is the EXACT error of your firewall? And which firewall are you using?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
what now?
by eilanna8989 / October 13, 2009 8:05 AM PDT

I cant access .exe files. After I tried to rename the folder, i clicked on the icon, and all it said was "searching for eilanna.exe file"

Collapse -
*typo
by eilanna8989 / October 13, 2009 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: what now?

*sorry, I meant to say that everytime i try to open malwarebytes after i rename the folder, i get "searching for mbam.exe"

Collapse -
Well, Something's Wrong..Don't Rename A "Folder", Please ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 13, 2009 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: *typo

...rename the actual "mbam.exe" file in the location I indicated by finding it through Windows Explorer.. Next, after renaming the actual file (NOT the shortcut on your desktop or in your start menu), then double click directly on the file itself.. NOT the shortcut.. It won't be looking for a mbam.exe because it doesn't exist.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.