Windows Legacy OS

Resolved Question

failed win xp install.

by padyboy / April 3, 2013 9:32 AM PDT

I have a refurbished dimension 5150 desktop, win xp home edition, 3.0gHz, 1GB Ram, 160 GB HD.

I wiped the HD with dban as recommended. I reinstalled os using the disk "Microsoft XP Home Edition for Ultra Low Cost PCs SP3". Install was successful.

However, I mistakenly installed drivers in incorrect order, before I had obtained all of them. Therefore wiped drive again. This time, install from same cd gave the error message" Insert sp3 cd rom in drive."

Since this is a "clean install", why am I getting this message this time? It states "File 'asms' on sp3 cd is needed.

I do not have this cd presently. Can I burn it from the file I have on my flash drive? This contains all the recommended upgrades from the Dell website, except sp3 which was obtained from Microsoft.

I think I am close to getting this old desktop in working order, until this.

I could not locate any posts regarding this difficulty on this website, although I did not go through 2300+ posts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

padyboy has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: failed win xp install.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: failed win xp install.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by padyboy

Collapse -
In Regards To Your Other Post
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 6, 2013 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: failed win xp install.
Collapse -
nic
by padyboy / April 7, 2013 4:46 AM PDT

Network interface controller is integrated into mob.
How can I replace this without new mob?

Collapse -
A Couple Different Ways..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 7, 2013 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: nic

As long as there is a free PCI slot, you can plug in a new one, using the software per the manual, then disable the old one in Device Manager..

Or, if you need to, there are USB ethernet adapters that work as well, although I prefer the PCI slot card type.. And example is at the link below:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Linksys-USB-Ethernet-Adapter/12321722

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
pci
by padyboy / April 8, 2013 4:37 AM PDT

I would prefer PCI slot card as well.
Where should I look? What features should I look for? Is higher price mean required quality?

Have never purchased this before.

Confused

Collapse -
Depends On What You Need...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 8, 2013 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: pci
Collapse -
wireless
by padyboy / April 8, 2013 9:39 AM PDT

I am using an Apple Router and thus need a wireless internet card.

Collapse -
A Google Search Finds One Quickly
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 9, 2013 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: wireless
Collapse -
not
by padyboy / April 10, 2013 10:17 AM PDT

I require 802.11n protocol.
It appears that the integrated NIC is shot. Have tried drivers from several different sources, to no avail.
Have contacted 10 diferent forums, to no avail.
Have found internet ordering is dubious at best.
Can get wireless card locally for $29 or $33.
This will be my last gasp, before junking this computer.
One website suggested I purchase another used Dell Dimension 5150 desktop computer.

Not practical. Perhaps expected refurbishment of this obsolete computer was impractical to begin with.
I appreciate your input, and those of all others on CNET.

SadHappy

Collapse -
802.11g Works on "n" Networks
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: not

It's not clear why you actually need an "n" protocol card, but the connection should still work fine just not as far or as fast.. On the other hand, finding an "n" adapter for a PCI slot isn't impossible and the same goes for a USB wireless adapter which should work as well. Many of us here order and receive many items from reputable suppliers on the internet. It's your choice whether you choose to do so, or not.

If you choose to purchase it locally, great, but it should still be "do-able".

Take card and hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
solved
by padyboy / April 12, 2013 4:15 AM PDT

To all those who have gratuitously assisted with my Intel integrated network interface controller problem:

I have bitten the bullet and installed a NIC card from Trendnet. I am not promoting this product. Only that it solved my problem at a reasonable price. Someone previously suggested this step. I have finally taken it. Blush

I was confused by "device was working properly', although "software has not been installed". I have finally realized the difference. This Dell Dimension 5150 was designated as my "learning" computer; I have certainly learned much from this experience, mostly due to your input. I hope to continue my learning process.

Internet connection works well now.

Even the floppy drive is functional, as well as the 10GB HD from my first ever computer.

Grats again to all who assisted. Grin

Collapse -
Answer
That's a well known error.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 9:34 AM PDT

It's been traced to a bad burned CD to an over heated CPU. The P4 3GHz was one hot CPU.

Did you try replacing the heatsink compound and leaving the cover off?
Bob

Collapse -
PS. No to the USB question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 9:47 AM PDT

No need to duplicate that answer. Many have tried.

Collapse -
Answer
It sounds like you don't have a legal copy of XP
by wpgwpg / April 3, 2013 9:41 AM PDT

There's no such thing as
Microsoft XP Home Edition for Ultra Low Cost PCs SP3. So it sounds like you have an illegal copy of XP. If that's the case, I'm afraid you're on your own unless you get a legal copy. Also if you installed it once with your CD, then you say you don't have the CD, I'm afraid I don't understand that either.

Collapse -
Actually it was a legit CD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 9:52 AM PDT
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/features/2008/apr08/04-03xpeos.aspx and many other places.

The error is very well known and the ugly part is that I find folk losing all their remaining hair trying anything other than the known cures. Some try the USB, some find other CDs (great way to make it worse) and some want to avoid the usual issues of media, drives and doing the heatsink work.

Someday I'll understand why folk do that.
Bob
Collapse -
If you find out Bob, maybe you can find out...
by wpgwpg / April 3, 2013 10:00 AM PDT

...why so many people fail to back up their data while you're at it. If you do, let me know! Laugh
When MS pulls the plug on XP in another 8 months, you know there'll be some REAL moaning & groaning.

Collapse -
The plug is already out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 10:03 AM PDT

But there is no sign that activation and the update servers are going down.
Bob

Collapse -
by padyboy / April 7, 2013 4:10 AM PDT

I backed up my data from 5150 to cd previous to anything.

Collapse -
by padyboy / April 8, 2013 4:41 AM PDT

I am afraid I know nothing of 'heat sink work'.
Also, only the network connection is malfunctioning.

Confused

Collapse -
The error above has been traced to a few causes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2013 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

As noted. And if the File ASMs issue occured during/after install I know of no quick fix other than to start over after I corrected the heat, CD or CD drive issues.

Collapse -
os disk
by padyboy / April 7, 2013 4:06 AM PDT

I purchased this dell 5150 several years ago. I have two os disks. I must have received one with the computer, then ordered one online. Were they both pirated?
Would the dell os disk state 'dell' on the label? Precisely what disk title should I be seeking?
I have the key code from the top of the computer case; can I not obtain a copy of the os using this? Where do I get a legal copy, and how can I be sure it is legal? Is MS the only reliable source?

Thanx.

Collapse -
Re: disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 7, 2013 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: os disk

Now you're talking about a Dell disk for the first time. That's another one than you mentioned in your first post, I think. Does that fail also? With what error message?

Kees

Collapse -
disks
by padyboy / April 7, 2013 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: disk

Both disks appear identical, with same label and part numbers.

All seems normal on this pc except for ? in device manager for 802.11 LAN adapter and Multimedia Video Controller. Drivers were downloaded/installed for both of these, in proper order. No other problems in device manager.

There was no indication of error with os install.

However network connections does not show wireless connection, only LAN. Expected if software is missing?
All other drivers installed without difficulty.

I should also mention that network connection was functional before clean os install.

Collapse -
Re: no wireless connection on Dell
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 7, 2013 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: disks

It could be the wireless switch (a physical switch somewhere on the laptop) is set to off. And it could be that you forgot to install the Dell program that activates wireless if you press the right function key (like Fn+f8). And it could be that you installed that program, but didn't run it by pressing that function key.

Kees

Collapse -
please elaborate
by padyboy / April 8, 2013 4:33 AM PDT

-My dell 5150 is a desktop
-There is no wireless switch
-"And it could be that you forgot to install the Dell program that
activates wireless if you press the right function key (like Fn+f8). And
it could be that you installed that program, but didn't run it by
pressing that function key."

I have installed NIC driver files from different sources. To which program do you refer, specifically?

Confused

Collapse -
Dell's app I continue to bump into is called...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2013 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: please elaborate

Dell QuickSet.

That's no driver. It's an app that does, well, Dell tells what it does.

I like your journey and comments so far. It's been over a decade of Windows XP yet folk continue to find out how frustrating XP can be.

What do you think? Is it time to draw the curtains on this system?
Bob

Collapse -
$$
by padyboy / April 8, 2013 6:18 AM PDT

I cannot afford to draw the curtains, unless this 'refurbishment' is, in fact, impossible.

Perhaps I should just junk this computer and give up.

Cry

Collapse -
Or
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2013 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: $$

Try to create an install plan and clean the heatsinks, drives and put on fresh compound. That's no cost for you to make a new install plan and 1 to 2 bucks of compound.

Collapse -
how?
by padyboy / April 8, 2013 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Or

I still have no knowledge of how to accomplish this.

Collapse -
Which is why my friends make good money from XP!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2013 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: how?

I no longer run a service shop but my buddies in that business tell me they get from 50 to 120 bucks for such a plan.
Bob

Collapse -
not me
by padyboy / April 15, 2013 3:56 AM PDT

I am retired; thus little $ to spend and too much time on my hands.
I cannot afford to upgrade.
Thus I am fooling with this obsolete dell computer, perhaps in vain.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.