Windows Vista forum

General discussion

"Failed to connect to a Window Service"

by littlebit1000 / August 24, 2007 11:20 PM PDT

When I turned on my computer this morning in the right hand side by the clock it looked like a little suitcase(at least that is what I thought it was) and the error message of "failed to connect to a window service. Windows could not connect to the system event Notification Service service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the system event log for details about why the service didn't respond. I looked in two places for this "error report" the control panel..under "problem history" ; I found nothing related to this error message. I also looked in "performance" then "problem reports and solutions" and once again there was nothing. Everything seem to be working I clicked on the "suitcase"?? and it and the error message went away, but it has me stumped. This is a new computer I have had it for about 3 weeks, I had to take another new computer back to the store and demanded either a refund or a new computer, I was offerd this in exchange. It is an Acer Aspire T690. . Ram 1GB. HDD 250 GB SATA Intel Pentium 3.00 GHz memory 1014MB. Did I get another lemon?..I am beginning to miss my old 98, which never gave me any problems Sad If anyone could help me in this matter I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Liz

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Failed to connect to a Window Service"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Failed to connect to a Window Service"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have You Tried Changing The Service Settings?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 26, 2007 2:17 PM PDT

Click on Start-Run, type "services.msc", the click on OK. When the Services window loads, navigate to the "System Event Notification Service", the double click on it to open it.. Make sure the "Startup Type" says "Automatic". If it doesn't, use the drop down menu to change it.

If it already says: "Automatic", then click on the "Recovery" tab at the top, and change the ""First Failure" line to "Restart the Service", then click on "apply", then OK, etc.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thanks Grif
by littlebit1000 / August 27, 2007 11:13 AM PDT

It has gone away all by itself, if it happens again I will try your sugestion. I have noticed little quirky things like this happening after a windows update, I find that if I reboot they seem to resolve themselves. Once again Thanks for your help :). Liz

Collapse -
Failed to connect to a svc service
by Ronald Sanjana / September 1, 2008 4:38 AM PDT

Hi...when i try loggin into my laptop I get an error "failed to connect to a svc service"...someone had suggested that i view the error log under "services"..however when i try that, the status only shows as "starting"...all the other tabs like "stop", "pause" and "restart" are not highlighted...
please could you help

Collapse -
That error is a new one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 4:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
The SVC Service Can Be Related To Malware...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 2, 2008 10:00 AM PDT

Please download, update, then run a full system scan while in Safe Mode using the free SuperAntispyware tool from the link below:

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by Ronald Sanjana / September 2, 2008 11:55 PM PDT

Thanks Griff...will try and let you know if i need more assistance..

again..thanks a ton

Collapse -
Tried it but still the problem persists
by nishuy92 / September 12, 2011 5:11 AM PDT

I tried it....the Startup Type" says "Automatic". and ""First Failure" says "Restart the Service".......still the prob persists......

Collapse -
We'll Need More Information
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 12, 2011 10:12 AM PDT

Which operating system? Make and model of the computer? Etc. And EXACTLY which service is being mentioned in the error?

And since you didn't mention such, please try the steps in the link below to scan for malware. It's frequent cause of such problems:

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
netsh winsock reset
by The_Bare / November 9, 2011 10:11 PM PST

I just had the "failed to conenct to system notification service service" message. The steps above seem to have fixed it, thanks very much.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.