Windows 7

Resolved Question

Factory Restore MISTAKE!

by disneynutsss / February 22, 2013 11:16 PM PST

my nephew has a dell inspiron N7110 with windows 7.. the kid did a factory restore? on the laptop. i was able to reload windows 7 but now he has no internet access. i cant figure this one out! please help?

disneynutsss has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Factory Restore MISTAKE!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Factory Restore MISTAKE!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by disneynutsss

Collapse -
You probably need a network driver
by wpgwpg / February 22, 2013 11:36 PM PST

Check Device Manager for Network Adapters and see if there's a ? or ! next to the entries there. If so, you need to go to the manufacturer's web site and download the driver for it.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by disneynutsss / February 23, 2013 3:59 AM PST

Thank you all for your help. I had dowloaded all 16 drivers onto the laptop and i got an internet connection and was able to download ALL of the drivers I needed!

We are back in business and my Newphew has the BEST aunt in the world!!

He owes me, lol Happy

Collapse -
Answer
missing drivers
by disneynutsss / February 23, 2013 12:33 AM PST

i did some kind of scan and i get a message that states:

device driver software was not successfully installed

pci simple communications controller X no driver found
ethernet controller X no driver found
network controller X no driver found
universal serial bus (USB) controller X no driver found
sm bus controller X no driver found

now i went to the dell website to get the drivers, but boy what a mess! its so confusing. anyway i tried downloading some drivers to a flash drive but the laptop doesn't recognize it, i am assuming its because it needs a USB Controller driver? i assume that i will have to download the drivers to a cd or dvd to get them on the laptop?

Collapse -
A CD would work, but network is all you need
by wpgwpg / February 23, 2013 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: missing drivers

They would probably all fit on a CD with no problem, so that might be the way to go. Usually I just get the networking driver(s), and then I can download the other drivers directly. Choices, choices. Grin

Collapse -
network drivers
by disneynutsss / February 23, 2013 12:48 AM PST

there are 16 network drivers and 4 network application drivers for this laptop on the dell site... do i download them all?

Collapse -
Did you put in the service tag?
by wpgwpg / February 23, 2013 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: network drivers

Usually when I put in the service tag for the computer in question, it narrows the driver selection down to no more than 3 or 4. Once I've done that, I do have to download and try the remaining ones and try them one by one until I find the right one.

I know trying to teach a kid the value of the ounce of prevention is swimming upstream, but if he could learn to do a full system backup to an external hard drive, that would prevent the need for the painful pound of cure. Wink

Collapse -
thank you
by disneynutsss / February 23, 2013 1:03 AM PST

thanks, i will try that.

unfortunately his parents know little to nothing about computers. i am sure he had something on there (bad/virus) that wouldn't come off and instead of looking for help he thought he could do it on his own.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.