Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Facebook Privacy Question

by speakingrock / November 7, 2012 8:54 AM PST

If a Facebook friend's comments appear in my news feed and I respond to it, do my comments automatically get sent out to all my other Facebook friends? I know they can control what they receive. However, I want to make sure at least certain people don't see my comments I make on another friend's comments. Basically, I want some control of the audience. I have broken down friends into groups and changed settings so not everyone sees friends comments on my wall. I just don't know if my comments on a news feed will show up to all my friends. I've been very confused about this - finding it difficult to get my question answered. Please help. Thank you

speakingrock has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Facebook Privacy Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Facebook Privacy Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by speakingrock

Collapse -
As Bob said
by Jimmy Greystone / November 11, 2012 12:16 AM PST

(Coming a bit late to the party but) As Bob said... When Facebook is involved, there is no privacy. Period. The end. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. The entire business model of Facebook is built around selling people's information, private or otherwise. Do not post anything there that you wouldn't want potentially shared with the entire world. Also make sure to look into how much information you're giving up every time you "like" something.

Collapse -
Thank You
by speakingrock / December 23, 2012 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: As Bob said

I wish there was a good alternative to FB. I never fully trusted it to begin with and now more certain that it's best just to post pics and stupid/benign stuff for friends and family to see. Thanks

Collapse -
I don't want to upset you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 9:03 AM PST

But the folk I talk to about FaceBook and privacy agree that you forget about that if you use FaceBook. If you want something to not get out, then you never post it anywhere.

Collapse -
I steer clear of news feeds
by Darrell_L-24942583676092331879607944426418 / November 7, 2012 11:46 PM PST
My setttings is for my friends only when I post a comment or a picture.
Collapse -
(NT) And they share it and then?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 12:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Facebook privacy when responding to a newsfeed
by speakingrock / November 8, 2012 10:00 PM PST

My understanding was that you could forget about privacy too when putting out any comments on FB unless done through a private message directly to that person. I know my comments will be out there. However, I just wasn't sure if FB was set up so my friends would, I guess by default, get my comments I make on a newsfeed sent to them - if that person was not the originator of the newsfeed or involved with it in anyway. I hope I'm explaining myself correctly. I make political comments with groups that share my belief but have friends that don't share the same beliefs and want them out of the conversation or at least not subjected to political comments I make. I like Facebook's ability to share among groups of people but due have my privacy concerns. I guess this presents a dilemma. Thanks for your quick response.

Collapse -
Remember FB is not about privacy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2012 1:05 AM PST

So if you want something private, we don't involve FB at any time. If you want to grill FB about this, go right ahead but for now, I would not trust it.

Collapse -
Facebook Comments
by speakingrock / November 9, 2012 4:11 AM PST

I think you may have misunderstood. I know comments I make on a news feed is NOT private. I just wanted to know whether all my friends receive my comments on a news feed they had nothing to do with. Thanks though for your help.

Collapse -
Let me be clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2012 4:17 AM PST
In reply to: Facebook Comments

If I want anything private, it will never involve facebook. This company has made it clear that you can never be sure what will leak or show even with all your settings just so.

If you feel they earned your trust, why not go ahead with your plan?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.