Samsung forum

General discussion

Facebook App does not work on Samsung TV

by shmoot14 / July 3, 2010 12:00 PM PDT

I recently bought a Samsung LED TV (model UN55C6500) with Internet@TV, but the Facebook app does not work. I added my login info in the Settings menu, but then when I try to open the app, I get the message "This is available to a registered user only. Create a user account in the Settings menu and register a service site before you can log in." What else do I need to do in order to use this app?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Facebook App does not work on Samsung TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Facebook App does not work on Samsung TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Facebook App does not work on Samsung TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 5, 2010 5:59 AM PDT

shmoot14,

Try going into the Internet TV settings (lower left hand side of the screen), create an account on the TV for you (and you can create separate accounts for others, also, if you like) and you'll be prompted to put your login ID in that setting. This allows you and others to use Internet@TV without having to constantly re-enter your information.

If it's just you, then you still have to create an account in the TV first, and then you can add your account information accordingly.

Does that help?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Face
by shmoot14 / July 5, 2010 2:00 PM PDT

I already tried creating an account on the Internet TV settings and adding my Facebook login info there, but I still get the error message about needing to create a user account. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Internet@TV ID
by techno-q / December 25, 2010 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: Face

What is not clear in the instructions is the fact that along with the ID you create in Settings on Internet@TV, you also have to create an App account on samsung.com. When you bring up samnsung.com there is a link in the upper right-hand corner of the page that says 'Login;' click on this link and it will take you to a page to either log-in or create an account. Create your account complete with your personal information, the information on your TV or blu-ray player (which will then be registered), along with credit card information. Once you complete this the system will tell you that you are registered. When using Internet@TV you log in to the ID you created on the TV and it will say it is connecting to a partner site and will ask for the ID and password. This is where you enter the Samsung Apps ID and password. Once the two accounts are linked, you will be able to access your Facebook.

Collapse -
Same problem
by bobclaster / July 12, 2010 10:57 AM PDT

I am having the exact same problem. I have created the User ID, but the Facebook app doesn't seem to know this.

Collapse -
One more thing...
by bobclaster / July 12, 2010 8:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

If it helps you to troubleshoot this, I'm getting the same error on Twitter.

Collapse -
samsung 6 series LED TV facebook & twitter errors?
by thedanster / July 13, 2010 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: One more thing...

Can somebody help regarding the Facebook & Twitter apps on the new Samsung 2010 TV range. I register using settings, input my username and password. Facebook accepts the details are correct but I still get prompted to register again when entering the apps.

Collapse -
FIgured it out.
by bobclaster / July 13, 2010 4:28 AM PDT

I figured it out. You have to log in. Hit the A key, and then the apps will work!

Collapse -
genius..!
by thedanster / July 13, 2010 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: FIgured it out.

many thanks

Collapse -
samsung ue55c7000 ip settings are eraised when tv goes off
by ue55c7000 / July 14, 2010 7:30 AM PDT

have u had any problems keeping the IP settings when tv is trnd off,thks

Collapse -
Problems with Samsung Apps
by noumena12 / July 24, 2010 4:09 AM PDT

My twitter account works, neither my husbands or my facebook accounts work, and my husbands pandora account doesn't work. We each have our own account and each of the respective services are set up with each of our Internet@TV IDs. I've tried going back and forth logging on as one than the other trying the apps...so just logging in with the "A" key isn't working for us.

The app messages say my ID/PW is incorrect. But we have verified them on the computer.

I did upgrade the firmware earlier because until then we couldn't even create accounts.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 26, 2010 12:27 PM PDT

noumena12,

The ID and Password in your user created accounts, or the ID and Password to setup your Facebook account?

If you add the login information in the Manage Accounts section, you should be able to put your respective ID/PW into the Login Account on the TV.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by noumena12 / July 26, 2010 10:15 PM PDT

I have created two Internet@TV accounts (one for myself and one for my husband). Under each Internet@TV account Manage Accounts, I set up the appropriate logins (ID/PW) for each of our various facebook, twitter, pandora, etc. accounts.

I first login to the Internet@TV account (using the "A" button) then select the app I want to log in to (such as facebook). That is when I get the error message.

Collapse -
Problems with Samsung Apps - Facebook
by dmk10469 / December 25, 2010 3:43 AM PST

I am having the same problem. I created an account on my TV and added my facebook account login (username and password). My username is the email address I use to login on the web.

I login to my Samsung TV account (using the A button as described in this post) and then try to connect to facebook. I get the error message "The ID or password of Facebook you registered is incorrect. Please check and retry."

I have verified (and re-entered using both my remote and my iPhone Samsung remote app) my login information - is there any way to get support for this app?

Collapse -
even Samsung rep couldn't tell me this
by vfoote3 / November 21, 2010 9:43 AM PST

thank you so much for the information. I followed your instructions and it worked. I spent countless hours/days talking to Samsung reps on why I couldn't connect to facebook no one could provide an answer. Today I decided to call Samsung one last time and while they had me on hold trying to figure out a solution I got on my computer and found your suggestion. It worked and it that point the samsung rep came on and i asked her if they figured it out and they said no. It was then that i told her that you had figured it out. thanks again.

Collapse -
Facebook app and Samsung TV 6400 Series
by jb122154 / December 20, 2010 6:26 AM PST

Sure enough, it worked with hitting the A (login) key. Thanks so much!

Collapse -
THIS GUY IS A GENIUS
by charliedog140 / January 30, 2011 3:26 AM PST

I had the exact same problem and had set up my fb user id/password, registered samsung apps AND spent hour on phone w samsung. I tried the "hitting A" trick when I was getting that notification message and it worked! It didnt work the first time, but then tried it again and it worked. recap...when you are getting the "password/registration error message" ater you click on the fb app, hit the red A on your remote (if you dont do anything it takes you back to the Internet@TV main page and send you into this whole userid/settings loop again). After you hit the red A, you will be prompted to enter your Internet@TV login id and password. After you do this fb will appear! If you dont have an Internet@TV login, you will need to go to Settings, Internet@TV Login Id and Create LoginID. You will have needed to set up the id and then "Manage your app account" to enter your fb user id and password to begin with.

Collapse -
Login won't work
by ossee666 / January 30, 2011 9:12 PM PST

Today I finally installed my Samsung InternetTV.

I have completed registration of my samsung account and setup a pincode. Then I entered passwords for twitter and facebook. when I returned to the welcome screen and I pushed the A button to login, it keeps saying that there is no account. I have registered about 10 times.

What should I do?

ossee

Collapse -
Login
by charliedog140 / February 2, 2011 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: Login won't work

So you created an Internet@TV login and 4-digit PIN and then "managed accounts" in which you set up your fb, etc. ID and password? When you set up fb, did it check online and then say verify? The only suggestion I have is turn off all equipment and then turn back on. I had to do this w one of the apps. Also, I incorrectly wrote above to push A when after you click on fb app...well you push A beforehand! Then it should giveyou option to enter PIN. Then you should be able to click on fb app and get in.

Collapse -
Facebook app on Samsung does not work!
by cnm89 / June 17, 2012 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Login

I tried and retried the instructions given in this forum, but nothing works. I successfully created accounts and connected to Google Calendar, Chat, and Pandora. However I am still unable to connect to Facebook. I never saw a prompt for a 4-digit PIN! I have successfully completed the "Account Management" configuration which indicates I am "registered" regarding the Facebook app, but when I click on the icon I keep geeting the message that the ID or password of Facebook registered is incorrect!

Collapse -
RE: DJ product list
by Mailo34 / November 19, 2011 8:56 PM PST

But where?

Collapse -
:)
by shirley915 / January 25, 2012 1:53 AM PST

Thank You!!!!! Can't believe it was that simple lol!

Collapse -
samsung 6 series LED TV facebook & twitter errors?
by AKTREHAN / February 10, 2013 10:22 PM PST

Great, bobclaster. It worked. But, I think that it will work only on free apps like facebook and twitter, etc. for paid apps, maybe, something different. Thanks again to CNET and its forum and Bobclaster.

Collapse -
similar problem
by gofasterplease / August 22, 2010 12:20 PM PDT

Dumb question but how do I make the "@" Symbol in my facebook username in the samsung apps menu?

Collapse -
similar problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 23, 2010 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: similar problem

gofasterplease,

Scrolling through the text options should give you a list of characters. There's a box on the lower right hand side of the screen that you need to click "Change" to get to different characters and entry methods.

--HDTech

Collapse -
great Facebook Working... Pandora not so much
by gofasterplease / August 23, 2010 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: similar problem

I got facebook working following the above suggestions.

Pandora however isn't working. It says, Invalid user ID/password. I double checked the username/password on my PC. It's correct. both are short and not very error prone.

Any ideas?

Collapse -
great Facebook Working... Pandora not so much
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 23, 2010 10:46 AM PDT

gofasterplease,

Good question, and unfortunately I don't have an answer on why it's not giving you access.

You might try contacting Pandora to see if they can reset your player and allow access. They can be reached at:

pandora-support@pandora.com

--HDTech

Collapse -
Invalid ID
by charliedog140 / February 2, 2011 8:58 AM PST

If it is saying that after you try to set up the account in the "manage account" feature, then you must not be entering your user id or password correctly. Try going to Pandora and changing your password.

Collapse -
Samsung SmartTV Samsung App not working:
by SPY800 / May 22, 2011 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Invalid ID

I currently have a Facebook account that works fine on both my computer and iPhone. HOWEVER, I could NOT log-in to Facebook with my Samsung Smart TV, even though I had taken all the steps and created a Smart Hub account (on my TV) AND a Samsung Apps account (on the website). Also note that the Samsung Apps account MUST have a credit card on file in order to log-in on the TV itself.

Collapse -
punctuation
by SaddleRK / January 21, 2013 8:52 AM PST

I just connected to Facebook through my Samsung SmartTV! I was using letters, an ampersand, and then numbers as my Facebook password. I changed my Facebook password so the it used letters, a period, and then numbers. It immediately worked! (Thanks Samsung for providing us with this special software "feature" that is not explained in any user manuals.)

Collapse -
tried your solution.....
by jzpiano / June 23, 2014 8:54 AM PDT

Hi there:

I'm having the same issue as many have described here.....was hoping that by adding a period to my facebook password I'd have some luck, but alas, I'm still getting the invalid username/password error message.....grrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure what to do at this point....2010 samsung plasma display, 7000 series......I know I'm doing this correctly, as I went through the described steps to link my online pandora account sucessfully to my tv.....what is going on with this application!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.