HP

General discussion

F11 Recovery won't work. (my fault)

by mborner / August 11, 2010 12:56 AM PDT

I have a HP nx9030 notebook that just gave up and died. The original OS was Windows XP Pro. I was not aware of HP's F11 recovery partition until after I formatted the HDD and installed a different copy of XP Pro, which didn't work. I cannot boot into Windows. I'm trying to use F11 during boot, but I think after I formatted, the MBR was replaced. The F11 utility is gone. During the format, I noticed a partition on the drive (E) at 204mb. Is this the recovery partition? I would think it would be much, much larger than that. I only formatted C, leaving E alone. Is there any way I can access the recovery partition to restore the notebook to its original condition? It appears that HP.com no longer has the recovery discs available. Any help would be great.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: F11 Recovery won't work. (my fault)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: F11 Recovery won't work. (my fault)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2010 1:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Can I put the F11 utility back onto the drive?
by mborner / August 11, 2010 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry no.

Thanks. It looks like HP still makes available all of the drivers for download. After I get XP installed is there a way to put the F11 utility back onto a partition, or, at least make it usable again?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2010 1:19 AM PDT

I've never found folk to reliable do that or even a document detailing how to.

-> But having said that I can restore that on our office machines for a very simple reason. Here goes. Before we boot up the machine for the very first time we use CLONEZILLA to save an image of the new machine's hard drive to a file so we can restore it to the condition it came out of the box in.

Many don't do that and thus they can't restore F11 or more. Yes a few will make the restore media but I'm finding more and more folk to not do that either.
Bob

Collapse -
F11 feature
by Willy / August 12, 2010 12:15 AM PDT

The F11 option is something OEM provide via the orginal install. It basically is nothing more than a menu option to include the reference to bios ID, etc.(hidden) that allows those actions to take place. If you access to OEM restore/recovery discs, it should be putting back the F11 option as part of the install even though no reference to it. Other OEM vendors do this as well, so F11 is common feature to some.

You lose the F11 feature if you use another OS version or release. Since, this is laptop, you will still need the required drivers after the OS install to complete 100% the install. But, the F11 isn't part of thopse other OS versions, unless from HP. HP does offer(if available in stock) for small cost, the restore/recovery discs. Once all has settled, use the HP back-up feature to make restore/recovery of the system as well if OEM supplied.

Besides HP, these people offer restore/recovery discs(small cost) for HP system. http://www.restoredisks.com

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.