Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

F and G Drives Are Not Recognized

by gp2426 / July 11, 2008 8:29 AM PDT

I have a dual boot system with Windows 98SE on drive C and Windows XP OEM on drive D. I have a floppy drive on A and a Zip 100 on E. Drive F and G are only available in safe mode. What can I do to get the F and G drive accessible when not in safe mode?
In the BIOS the primary master is on (Auto) and the secondary master is the cd-rom drive, I don't remember what the slave drive was on but the secondary slave is the CD-RW drive which is the G drive.
Any help appreciated!!
gp2426

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: F and G Drives Are Not Recognized
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: F and G Drives Are Not Recognized
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which OS isn't seeing the drives?
by Steven Haninger / July 11, 2008 10:09 AM PDT

Since you boot from two drives, this can get tricky. Win98 and XP can follow different drive letter assignment conventions. As well, Win98 isn't going to see NTFS partitions. Depending on what drives were visible when you installed XP, it will move it's drive letter further down the alphabet as it sees fit. I've seen it even place a ZIP drive ahead of it's own letter. Therefore, to Win 98 and XP, your F and G drives could be different physical entities.

Collapse -
RE: Which OS System Isn't Seeing The Drives
by gp2426 / July 11, 2008 3:24 PM PDT

Windows XP isn't seeing the drives. I boot up using the XP operating system. I can't add my printer or other software because it doesn't see the drives. In My Computer on XP it shows Local Disk (C:) and Local Disk (D:)(Windows 98SE in on the C drive and XP on the D drive). On Devices with Removable storage in XP it shows 3 1/2 Floppy as the A and the Zip 100 as the E. When I boot up in Safe mode on XP it shows the C and D drive and under the Devices with Removable storage it shows the A, E, F and G drive.
gp2426

Collapse -
By dual boot
by Steven Haninger / July 11, 2008 8:02 PM PDT

do you mean both OSs on one physical drive or separate ones? Do you remember if the ZIP was present during the XP installation process or added afterwards?..and if so, was a disk in the drive at the time? The reason I ask this is that I've seen these ZIP drives seem to seem to cause XP to handle drive letter assignments strangely with these devices. I've since learned it best to install XP by itself with no more than a floppy and one CD ROM device and plug in others after the installation.

Collapse -
So it's XP...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2008 11:18 PM PDT

My thoughts.

This can be the old upper and lower filters issue. I won't detail why or how this occurs but head straight to known solutions. I leave the why and how research to you.

1. In safe mode, device manager, find the CD/DVD drives and click on them, press the delete key and remove them. Sometimes this will correct this on the next boot. If so, done.
2. Remove the registry entries noted at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 and no I won't tell every member to ignore looking for the error code noted and that I use this KB for the procedure. Some get hung up about the article's verbiage.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.