Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Extremely long file name impossible to rename or delete

by masterpc / January 26, 2005 1:12 PM PST

I am using WIn 2000 SP4 with NTFS on a whitebox. I have several files with extremely long file names that include spaces, and characters like &"'({[)}]! in them. Some of these files have names approaching 200 characters in length. They refuse to be moved, deleted, renamed. Windows won't even let me view their properties. I have tried from file menu, drag and drop even at in a cmd window withold style DOS commands to no avail. They interfere with defrag and antivirus software completing full scan. No virus is det4ected associated with them, using AVG and P-Cillin. Are there any know issues or workarounds aside of a complete system fulsh to cure this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Extremely long file name impossible to rename or delete
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Extremely long file name impossible to rename or delete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Easy...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2005 9:12 PM PST

Press Start, Run, COMMAND and enter.

Presto. All 8.3 names.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob's suggestion might not work...
by Edward ODaniel / January 26, 2005 10:36 PM PST

depending on possible registry edits that disable 8.3 creation. If yours is one that has been so edited look for NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation somewhere in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet and change its value from 1 to 0 to re-enable 8.3 naming.

If the files are located within subdirectories you can often rename the subdirectory with a much shorter name until the total filename including path is under the 256 character limit. Then you can rename the file itself. Last step is to rename the directories you renamed to their original names if necessary.

Alternatively you can sometimes selectively rename the file by using "wildcards"--be carefull that you place the "wildcard" where only the one file will be affected.

Here is a link that offers several suggestions:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320081

Collapse -
Trying using 7-Zip
by antithetical78 / April 28, 2009 8:46 AM PDT

It's a free download, a great compression utility, and its file manager deletes and/or renames these files with no problem. This was driving me nuts until I stumbled across this very easy solution.

Collapse -
Thanks for the tip.
by Kirk Creel / February 16, 2010 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: Trying using 7-Zip

I initially got a message telling me that the file name was too long to send to the recycle bin but holding shift while selecting the delete button bypassed this.

Collapse -
XYplorer can handle overlong filenames
by giant impact / May 11, 2009 6:15 PM PDT

The latest version of XYplorer (file manager) can handle overlong filenames. You may rename those files directly in the file list just as any other "normal" file.

http://www.xyplorer.com/

Look for XYplorer 7.90.0260 or later.

Collapse -
copy and delete files with long file names using CanCopy
by Hani_ / June 16, 2010 12:27 AM PDT

please try this software to copy and delete the files giving you trouble: http://cancopy.net/

Full disclosure: I helped develop the software when I encountered the same problem. It's not free but I hope it is helpful and saves you time and frustration. Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.