Samsung forum

General discussion

Extremely bad luck w/ Samsung LCD HDTV?

by Joetorious / September 14, 2009 6:51 AM PDT

That's what I've been told by Best Buy and other reps. As I mentioned in a post yesterday, my 2.5-year-old Samsung LCD HDTV (model # LNS4692DX/XAA)screen went blank yesterday.

While the "reset" tips the respondent gave me were appreciated, they did not help.

Most repair people and Best Buy reps with whom I've spoken think that it will likely cost at least $700 to fix. It's an automatic $150 for a Samsung-referred service tech just to come to my house. They then charge an additional minimum of $150.

So just to get the thing looked at I'm looking at $300. Say it's some board that needs to be replaced - that's another $700. How in God's name would Samsung think the customer should have to be OK with that, or that it is reasonable to expect them foot such a bill? I mean for $1499 I can get an 2009 55-inch LG LCD HDTV, so it makes no sense to have to pay all those costs for a TV that is 2.5 years old and damaged.

Look, I know this is an anomaly. Samsung has a good reputation for making high-quality TVs. To this point, I've been one of your loudest evangelists, with my testimony directly leading to multiples sales of Samsung LCD HDTVs (my father-in-law, my father and several friends and co-workers).

I'm posting this here in hopes that some Samsung rep will have more common sense than the reps with whom I've spoken today. There's an opportunity to make this unique situation right. I want to continue be a fan of Samsung...hell, I even want to put my current 46-incher (assuming it's repaired at minimal or no cost to me) in my room and replace it with a larger Samsung. But I cannot do that if Samsung's technology only lasts for 2.5 yrs and the company is willing to do nothing to stand by its products.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Extremely bad luck w/ Samsung LCD HDTV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Extremely bad luck w/ Samsung LCD HDTV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Silence is deafening
by Joetorious / September 15, 2009 3:55 AM PDT

Bump.

Collapse -
Extremely bad luck w/ Samsung LCD HDTV?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 15, 2009 10:59 AM PDT

Joetorious,

I apologize for not responding earlier. I took a better portion of yesterday off, so I'm catching up today.

Anything that is outside of warranty is subject to out of pocket expenses. I totally appreciate your evangelism of our product, and would like to help, but unfortunately I don't have the ability to do that. The only resolution for an out of warranty repair would be Samsung's ECR (Executive Consumer Relations) Department. You can reach them at 800-SAMSUNG and ask for the ECR Department (You will need a transaction number) and request a review of the situation. It's not a decision I'm allowed to make, and I'm unable to provide a diagnosis without inspecting the unit.

--HDTech

Collapse -
2.5 years lifespan?
by henballs / September 15, 2009 11:39 AM PDT

My exact model reported by Joetorious died today as well! Are we expecting two and a half years life expectancy for all your TV sets? What would be the general failure mode that causes this unit to give out? LED driver board? Digital video board? Can't be the power supply board because my unit does turn on.

Thanks for any help I can get.

-Henry

Collapse -
screen went black on our samsung lcd model LNS4692DX/XAA
by rocketman929 / September 29, 2009 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: 2.5 years lifespan?

we have had our tv about 2 yrs...bought as floor model from sears for $1300...checked all the forums & have foun alot of the same problem with this model...wwe also did not take the ext warranty...I took the tv apart & checked the power board..we have power out of the board...back light works...could be main board or flat panel...samsung also told us there is no warranty at this time...still weighing options on whether to try home fix or take unit to repair shop...btw,wife went & bought new samsung lcd 1080I from sears with ext warranty

Collapse -
UPDATE...SAMSUNG LNS4692DX/XAA
by rocketman929 / October 14, 2009 10:40 AM PDT

After much searching the net, finally went with the t-con board...bought from parts.com for 118.00 & tax...just insstalled & tv is back to life....samsung offered us no help with our 46" paperweight...thanks to all others who posted comments & solutions on the web

Collapse -
This TV is seriously flawed and Samsung won't admit it
by onespartan / November 13, 2009 3:25 AM PST

I've had the same issue with this TV, screen just all of a sudden goes black. Just got off the phone with Samsung customer service. Since my TV is out of warranty, of course there is nothing that they can do. The T-Con board in this model lasts about 2-3 years. I have been the owner of 6 Samsung TVs and will never buy one again. It is a bad design that causes these boards to overheat and die yet Samsung will not stand behind their product. Very disappointing. Going shopping for anything but a Samsung this weekend.

Collapse -
Samsung Model: LNS4692DX/XAA, Problem Audio with no video!
by frank fama / March 9, 2010 6:32 AM PST

I have the same problem of audio with no video on my Samsung LNS4692DX/XAA. 2.5 years of lite use of this Sumsung in my Bedroom, My 60" Sony that is 4 years of a lot of use in my Family room has no problems just a great picture.

Surfed internet and found 100s of people reporting the same problem with that model and a lot of people saying the problem was caused by a defected T-CON, part number BN81-01286a and some also had to replace the Pico-Fuse.

Called Samsung at 800-726-7864 who claimed no one has noted this as a problem!---BULL!! Samsung the Toyota of TVs.

I will be filing legal action in New Jersey, in many courts---win or loss that not the point--Samsung legal fees will be the point and getting the word out!

Also suggest to all to file at consumeraffairs.com.

Suggest you also see the site for full repair needed and how-to: http://www.fixya.com/support/t441929-sound_no_picture_component_tcon_board

Frank. frankfama2@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Really?
by mbez1 / May 8, 2010 1:50 AM PDT

I had the same EXACT problem occur to my Samsung LNS4692DX/XAA yesterday that Joisterous describes above. I had considered paying for the TV to be fixed, but then saw many comments similar to yours.

Based on Samsung's "high and mighty" reply, I'm done with your brand.
Your response is arrogant and dismissive. You don't do this to loyal customers. You don't tell them that your product is no longer warrantied, and "go ahead and break out your wallet, sucker".

What you are saying is that your TV's are essentially "disposable". If they break, chuck 'em!

I paid a hard-earned $1799 for your product in OCT 2006 and now you are telling me that I need to pay half of its value after 3.5 years to fix a problem? No, Samsung. You should fix this problem at your own cost.

You have lost me forever as a customer, Samsung. This is no way to treat your customers.

Collapse -
Check out 'Backlight / Inverter Issues' Thread
by Kastytis1 / September 16, 2009 7:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sorry about your luck and thanks for the info
by Joetorious / September 17, 2009 3:57 AM PDT

@henballs (wow, I feel weird typing that)-

On one hand, I'm sorry to hear your TV is now as worthless as mine. On the other, hopefully this issue is wide spread enough that a near-future recall is inevitable. If you make any progress through Samsung's customer service, please let me know.

FWIW, I bought the aforementioned LG 55-inch as a replacement. Unless Samsung does a complete 180 on its stance on my TV's status, I feel compelled to go to Best Buy for an hour or two each night for the next year or so to tell potential buyers about my story (I certainly won't pursuade them not to buy Samsung, but will gladly offer my experience and opinions).

@kastytis1 -

Thanks for letting me know about that thread; I'll definitely track it. Hopefully we (and others) can get a fair resolution from the largest player in the game - that's not asking much, is it?

Is there any kind of recourse at the state and federal levels we can take?

Collapse -
still waiting on case management
by Joetorious / September 21, 2009 6:19 AM PDT

As I type, I'm on hold to see why Case Management hasn't contacted me (it is now well beyond the 72-hour time frame promised). So far, this particular exec. cust. serv. rep has seemed the most willing to help, but I doubt she'll be able to do anything...too bad she doesn't work at the top of Samsung's hierarchy. I'll keep you posted...

Collapse -
Eureka!
by Joetorious / September 21, 2009 6:26 AM PDT

Someone with common sense works at Samsung...I have a choice between a labor warranty extension or the part warranty extension...

Unfortunately, the work has to be done by a certified tech who charges $150 to come out to the house and a minimum of $150 to fix the thing...

Collapse -
Update
by Joetorious / September 29, 2009 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Eureka!

I called ECS/R and they referred me to Case Management. After Case Management failed to call within the promised time frame, I called ECS/R again. Finally, I was able to speak with someone willing work with a customer (though in a limited capacity).

I was given a choice between an extended warranty on parts or labor. The diagnosis (which cost $100*) was that the LCD control board had gone bad. The repairman said he had seen and fixed the problem before. Sure enough, that turned out to be the culprit and the TV - for now - is working properly.

In the end, it cost me ~ $240 ($100 diagnostic and $136 for the new LCD control board). Samsung footed the bill for the additional service charge ($150). The last Samsung rep with whom I spoke (not the one that actually had a brain) tried to position the offer to cover labor as though I was "lucky" that they'd go out of the way to be so benevolent. Somehow I don't feel lucky in that regard.

*I found another authorized/certified tech (to whom Samsung did not refer me for some reason) who would "only" charge $100 for the diagnostic, though he wouldn't roll that into the overall labor cost so that Samsung - the giant corporation - could absorb the $100 instead of me - the lower-middle class citizen.

Collapse -
Replaced it myself
by henballs / October 14, 2009 4:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Update

Since the major of the diagnosis is the control board (TCON Board), I managed to replace it myself and saved the diagnostic fees. Purchased the board on monday, came in on wednesday, and about 1.5 hours to replace the board.

How long is the extended warranty on new part? Will it be covered if it fails two years later like the original? Best of luck to everyone.

Collapse -
Samsung LNS4692DX/XAA Black Screen
by vegasdozer / October 23, 2009 12:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Replaced it myself

After reading the numerous posts explaining the identical problem that I am experiencing I replaced the main board on my 2 year old TV. It didn't work. Now I have two main boards and a very expensive hunk of junk. The TV powers on, glow around edges, flicker when I change channels and/or source, no menu, no picture, but sound is fine. What do I do now?

Collapse -
Having local authorized service diagnose
by Kastytis1 / October 23, 2009 12:49 PM PDT

I've finally decided that I don't have the necessary tools to properly diagnose my problem, so I've arranged for the local authorized service outfit (HD Connection in San Diego) to come around. I'll post the outcome. I've mentioned before I have a suspicious capacitor on the main board but my symptoms seem more related to the inverters so I've decided not to guess.

Collapse -
samsung lns4692dx/xaa
by rocketman929 / October 23, 2009 1:02 PM PDT

we have the same model,same problem...we replaced the t-con board...top center under heat sheild....we paid around $125 for board with full refund available if not the correct part...installation took about an hour & tv works fine now....hope this is helpful

Collapse -
samsung lns4692dx/xaa
by vegasdozer / October 23, 2009 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: samsung lns4692dx/xaa

Is the tcon board the same as the power supply or main board. The board I replaced is BN94-00700A! I didn't have any recognizable capacitor failures and I intend to replace all the capacitors on the old board as mentioned in previous posts so as to have a backup. However, I am confused as to which parts to replace. Please list the part number that you are speaking of with the T-con board? Also, it appears that I have backlight based on several threads describing the backlight failures but is the inverter different?

Collapse -
T-CON Part number
by henballs / October 23, 2009 2:36 PM PDT
In reply to: samsung lns4692dx/xaa
Collapse -
Thanks. Keep you posted
by vegasdozer / October 24, 2009 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: T-CON Part number

Thanks for the part number. I had found the same one. Let you know if it works. The instructions are perfect. Thanks for all the help. No thanks so Samsung....crooks!

Collapse -
Samsung 46" LCD T.V. Model LNS4692DX
by JYNO10 / March 1, 2010 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: T-CON Part number

Hello,

New to the forum and was browsing for anyone who has had the same problem with their Samsung LCD and lo and behold.... I'm not the only one. I had a repair service out today to the tune of 116 bucks only to tell me that my 3 year old 46" T.V. has a defective panel which would cost me $1058.79! With labor and all it would cost $1342.74! I am livid at this point, I politely declined the estimate and am at a loss. 2G's spent on the "latest and greatest" and now it is worthless. Any advice?

Thanks.

Collapse -
by natex45 / March 1, 2010 12:10 PM PST

I've had my 52" 650 for 1 1/2 years now and it needs it's second repair. It's rediculous to pay a premium price (well over $2000 in my case) and then have to pay another $600+ a year to keep it running. (The tech who 'fixed' it the first time under warranty ((3 days after getting it..!)) said it was about a $600 repair) Have no idea what it will cost to repair this time.
I'm waiting until I cool off a bit before contacting Samsung although I doubt they are going to be of any help even though this is something that seems to be an ongoing problem....turning on and off and associated problems.
Samsung appears to be the Toyota of TV's...!
As for suggestions:
Take the word Samsung out of your vocabulary and definitely OFF the shopping list.
Tell EVERYBODY you can corner for a few minutes about the junk you own.
Splatter every blog and forum you can find about experiences with Samsung.
I like to fish and I'm thinking the 2 screw holes on the back can be rigged so this TV can be used for what it would do best...a boat
anchor...!

Collapse -
Consumer Affairs
by natex45 / March 1, 2010 1:08 PM PST

In the past month Consumer Affairs has reported a dramatic increase in the number of complaints about Samsung TV's. Over 120 complaints from owners of Samsung TV's.
To file a complaint:
Consumeraffairs.com....click on complaint form at top of page.
Short form...only takes a few minutes.

Collapse -
Don't be an advocate
by samsuck93 / July 15, 2010 7:04 AM PDT

Samsung USED to make good quality products....They don't anymore.
I've bought an LCD t.v. and an LED monitor that both broke...what are the chances of that?
The t.v. broke a little over 2 years after I bought it and the monitor broke 4 months after I bought it.
Don't advocate a company that sells crap.

Collapse -
My DayTek DK-402 died last week, after 2 years and 4 months.
by docbillnet / July 30, 2010 5:53 AM PDT

The costco warranty is 2 years, so I was rather disappointed. I opened it up and the LCD panel has the Samsung sticker right on it. The remote also uses Samsung remote code, so some of the other electronics must be Samsung as well.

When I say died, I don't mean stop working entirely. Rather, the colours are all mixed up. Black becomes red, and some of the other colours distort so it looks more like watching a Picasso than watching a TV. If I let the TV set for a very long time (say 30 hours or more) then sometimes the colour will return to normal for an hour or two. So when I want to watch TV, I turn it on. If I get normal colours I watch it. Otherwise I go upstairs and watch on my computer.

I have been trying to determine what is the likely cause of the problem. Most likely this is caused by capacitor drift, but I can't decide if it would be the TCON board or the power inverter board. I'll probably try swapping the power inverter board first, as that is the easier to replace.

Collapse -
Time passes and the problem continues
by iber88 / February 25, 2011 11:35 PM PST

My LN46A630M1FXZA shows a three inch vertical band of color distortion after two years and a few days, diagnosed as bad contacts on one of the thirteen amps integrated in the display. New display = $500, shipping and install > $200 = Junk. Forget help from Samsung, tech says Chinese-made displays are all failing within 2 to 3 years. Samsung is one of the leaders in this planned obsolescence, but all Mfrs. are playing the game. Guess it's plasma time, and it sure won't be anything Samsung.

Collapse -
Time passes and the problem continues
by sunlaker / February 26, 2011 12:40 AM PST

Thats why I bought extended warranties. TVs no matter what brand all face the same problems. I hope both of my TVs do fail within the first 4 years.(no problems after 2)
with the Bestbuy/Future shop warranties it's a fix or replace deal. with the value of TVs dropping like rocks that means free upgrades if they pack it in.

Collapse -
Ended up just buying another TV
by docbill007 / February 26, 2011 4:58 AM PST

After reading enough other cases from Samsungs dieing from inferior parts, we avoided Samsung, although I must confess was still tempted by the newer models. We actually went for plasma this time, as the do better on fast motion scenes, and the colour depth is unbelievable.

Collapse -
It's a lemon
by reenie53 / May 6, 2011 7:07 AM PDT

Ours crapped out after 4.5 years....just months past the extended warranty. We blew $150 on repairman only to find it would cost over $1000 to repair. It is evident from the number of complaints that this model has serious issues. Samsung should be embarrassed to offer a product that does not last! This model has inherent issues and Samsung should own up to it and make it right by their customers!!!

Collapse -
Say no to Samsung
by tndog / October 20, 2012 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a lemon

My LN40B55 has been sitting quietly in it's cabinet for several months. Spent too much on it and same problem as all. Just out of warrently and backlight problems. Last Samsung product we'll purchase. Moving over to LG. Not the only Samsung we've had that died in it's infancy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.