Computer Help forum

General discussion

extreme HP customer service problems--help!

by waldenellis / July 25, 2007 11:19 AM PDT

Help, please!

I have a new HP notebook (bought from their website) that recently stopped booting up. My problem now is with HP customer service...I could rant for hours about my extreme frustration with these folks.

Today I made my TWELFTH phone call (in less than 3 weeks) to attempt to get this thing fixed. The very latest issue is that they are trying to send me a box in which to return the laptop to them so they can repair it. The boxes are getting ordered but aren't getting shipped to me. The latest box request was try number THREE and came from an escalations manager.

I am at my wits' end. I have just written an angry letter, which I am sending to corporate headquarters via certified mail. I don't know how else to communicate to these people that my problem is not getting solved and that their employees have repeatedly, repeatedly, repeatedly screwed this process up. I'm generally a patient and polite customer, but I am not being heard here and I don't know what else to do. In my last 3 phone calls, I've asked to speak to a supervisor (as in, asked for 10 minutes straight until I finally gave up) and am continually told they cannot do that.

Does anyone know the magic words to say so that HP will listen to me? Somebody else to call? How do I get them to pay attention and try something else to get my computer fixed?! (At this point, I not only want to fix the computer, but feel HP should attempt to compensate me for the extreme headaches and loss of productivity that's resulted from their repeated mistakes.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: extreme HP customer service problems--help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: extreme HP customer service problems--help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2007 11:31 AM PDT

Given today's PC menaces (spyware and more) it's all too easy to see owners rely on "Norton" and get wiped out. A backup plan is also rare to find with many owners as they grapple with today's new machines and the pests out there.

Let's fast forward to a common cure. Did they show you how to reload the OS and get the machine back to as delivered?

Collapse -
by waldenellis / July 25, 2007 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Just one idea.

Bob, I don't rely on Norton and I have a data backup. That's not my issue. Did you read my post? I need to know how to get HP to talk to me. Yes, we've been through reloading the OS. And replacing the hard drive. And about forty-seven other things. My problem now is with HP.

Collapse -
If this is unacceptable I'll remove my reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2007 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: huh?

My hope was to help you get the machine back on it's feet. Good to read you have a backup plan but the bottom line is that Windows is still too fragile to expect it to perform as well as a common toaster. We have to learn to arm ourselves to the teeth and be ready to reload the OS.

I am not able to help you contact HP. I am here to help you get it back if it's one of the common issues.

But I see you might have a lemon. If it's just a few weeks old call your credit company and explain that they haven't delivered a working machine. Ask how you can get the charges reversed and ask HP to take the failed machine back. You bought a new machine, not something of a trial machine that needs repair.

-> In closing I've seen good hard disks replaced in some effort to placate the customer as well as less than stellar troubleshooting efforts. Again if this direction and discussion is unacceptable then I'll unsubscribe at your request and remove my comments.

Collapse -
by waldenellis / July 25, 2007 11:52 AM PDT

Oh--my credit card company! That's excellent advice. Thanks.

Yes, I hear you that Windows is unreliable and we have to be on the offensive about it. I, too, suspect that the HD is fine. Just like the recovery disks were fine. Just like the...etc etc. Something else is going on here. It's just so hard to get anyone over there to hear me.

Other suggestions, anyone?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.