Storage forum

Question

External USB Hard Drive issue

by Saiisil / March 16, 2013 5:56 AM PDT

Ok here is my issue, we have multiple computers in the house, 1 using Vista still (haven't spend the money to upgrade the OS and I am happy with it as it is being a laptop) and the others use WIN 7. Now recently one of the WIN 7 computers has stopped recognizing USB Hard Drives all together, they get power but that's it, no attempt to install or ever try to recognize the device is even there, but all other USB devices work normally. However on all of the other computers these same USB Hard Drives have no issues at all. I am about at my wits end trying to figure this out so now I come here for help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External USB Hard Drive issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External USB Hard Drive issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
A few USB ideas
by wpgwpg / March 16, 2013 6:04 AM PDT

First, just be glad you're not going through the USB 3 hassle I am! Next you can try going into Device Manager and deleting the USB entries followed by a reboot. Windows will recognize the USB ports and then load the latest drivers. That works for some. Next, sometimes the contacts in the USB slots wear down to the point where they don't work so well. For around $20 you can buy an expansion card that adds more USB ports and try that. Just be sure to check whether you need PCI or PCIe ones. Newer PCs use PCIe.
I assume you're not having other problems with this one troubling PC, but if you are, you might want to boot to Safe Mode and make sure you don't have a virus or other form of malware.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Details, please
by Willy / March 18, 2013 3:08 AM PDT

Don't confuse yourself the 1 troubled PC with the others even if they're the same. Stick with the problem PC and now offer all the details. Details help us, help you and don't leave much out, explain everything done to correct the problem if at all. OS, ram, PC model#, ext. HD, etc..

FYI- Of course, you have other back-ups, you didn't think the ext. HD is a "permanent storage" media, they're not. Clue here is, find other storage media or repetitive storage for all your data as it may effect the others.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.