Samsung forum

General discussion

External speakers for a Sumsung 42" plasma TV

by malama makena / March 9, 2009 7:02 AM PDT

I've moved my 42" Samsung plasma TV to a cabinet in my bedroom. Unfortunately, the speakers face into the cabinet and create boomy sound. I'd like to add two external speakers but am confused. I've read that I need an amp, but there is disagreement about connecting to audio 1 or 2. Also, Samsung recommends muting the internal speakers. Does this mean the TV's remote will no longer control volume?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External speakers for a Sumsung 42" plasma TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External speakers for a Sumsung 42" plasma TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
External speakers for a Sumsung 42" plasma TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 16, 2009 2:49 PM PDT

malama makena,

Welcome to the forum.

1. I can answer the questions, but to know if you have the required connectors on your television, I'm going to request that you post your model number so I can see the jack-pack (sets of connectors) you have on your television.

If you'd like to add speakers, you can do that a couple of ways: the most common would be to use the audio out RCA connectors and then mute the television speakers. This DOES mean that you won't be able to control the volume with the remote. You will need an amplifier of some sort - although, a small boom box with an auxilary input will do the trick, as will a receiver.

If you have a headphone jack on the side or back of your television (3.5mm headphone jack), you can connect that to a boom-box or powered stereo system. With that, you can control the volume with the remote control. Some people use powered computer speaker systems (stereo or 2.1 with the .1 being the subwooofer) and the headphone jack with satisfactory results.

Non-powered computers speakers will not work from the RCA jack in the back, and may work sluggishly with the headphone jack. I really recommend using a powered speaker set.

Let me know if I can clarify any of the above or assist further. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
I have a similar question
by Lushkaloo / April 24, 2009 1:17 AM PDT

Hi HDTech,
I have a Samsung LCD #LN32A550P3F (series 5-550, 32") and would like to improve the sound output quality. The TV does have a headphone jack on the side, and the TV is wall mounted. I don't need a big home theater surround-sound solution, just something to boost to sound. It would be great to control the sound with the TV's remote. What do you recommend? What products (and what cables) would work best? Thanks!

Collapse -
I have a similar question
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 28, 2009 5:34 PM PDT

Lushkaloo,

Well, to control the sound with the remote would have to be done with the headphone jack. The RCA is a set analog signal that doesn't have an amplifier - the headphone jack, however DOES have an amplifier.

The cable for most 2.1 systems will be the 3.5mm jack, which fits perfectly into the headphone jack.

So the best thing to do would be to go try out some speakers - stereo, or even a 2.1 if you want the extr bass. I might even suggest taking an mp3 player to the store to plug them in and see how they each sound with the volume from the mp3 player at "half volume". That way, as you plug them in, you can hear how strong the amp is in the speakers based on the consistent volume coming from the mp3 player. You'll likely find some speakers that drive the signal better than others.

I honestly don't have any recommendations on speaker brands. I've found that in some cases, the less expensive ones sounded better to me than some of the marketing hype from better known brands, so close your eyes and choose your audio that way.

Let me know if you have any more questions, or would like further consumer tips. We're here to help!

--HDTech

Collapse -
Unable to control external speakers connected using 3.5 jack
by kumaranhere / September 23, 2010 7:52 PM PDT

I have a samsung LA32C530F1RMXL model. I have connected a 2.1 speaker system using the 3.5mm jack. You mentioned that if the 3.5mm jack is used then the remote could be used to control the volume.
This does not work for me. I am unable to use the remote to control the volume and must rely on the volume control of the 2.1 speaker.

Is there any specific settings to be done?

-kumaran

Collapse -
by Manlivs / September 7, 2011 12:11 PM PDT

I have the same problem as Kumaranhere.
Mine TV is a Series 3/350 32"
I have connected 2.1 speakers using the 3.5mm jack. I have set the TV audio option to "external speakers" When I try to adjust the volume with the television remote, I get a message which reads "option not available." Alternately, if I set the TV audio option to "Television speakers," sound is still coming out of the external speakers, only, but adjusting the TV volume has no effect on the sound.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 12, 2011 5:03 AM PDT

Manlivs,

Collapse -
Samsung un32d4000
by Darlopez / January 16, 2012 1:47 PM PST

Hello, I have a un32d4000 and I connected a 2.1 PC speaker system to it, and I can't control the volume with my remote and I've tried setting it to external speakers and tv speakers to no avail. Is there something I can do or is this just how the TV is designed?

Collapse -
Samsung un32d4000
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 19, 2012 6:54 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung un32d4000

Darlopez,

Collapse -
uN32D4000
by akruspe / June 5, 2012 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung un32d4000

Thank you for this information.

Why does this work for other models and not 32 inch models?

Also this is a really crappy design, I really love my tv but not having the TV control speakers connected to the 3.5 is no good.

Collapse -
TV choices
by shakham / June 6, 2012 6:17 AM PDT

Have they solved this problem yet?

I would think a simple firmware update would allow this option to be available for those who want it. All I want to do is have a better 2.0 (or 2.1) system instead of the horrible TV speakers.

I bought a PN50C7000 TV and right now regret it. I need to use a Logitech remote to make sure the amp turns on and for volume control. Just a complicated solution to a simple problem.

I considered using a Samsung HDMI-CEC compliant receiver, but it won't do the job.

Just because of this, I decided against a 2nd Samsung purchase and instead bought a Sharp LC60LE835U. I have an external Audiosource amp connected to it. The amp has signal sensing so turns itself on an off. The TV remote controls the volume.

So basically from a users perspective, nothing has changed! Life is good.

So what's the solution on the Samsung?

I almost want to expose the speaker wires, and then use a speaker level to line level converter to solve the problem, but I'd hate to pull apart the TV.

Collapse -
Updates?
by Tjfarthing / December 29, 2012 12:35 PM PST
In reply to: TV choices

I was also wondering about this shakham. Anyone?

Collapse -
Which issue? Audio out jacks or the fixed level?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2012 2:56 PM PST
In reply to: Updates?

And when you tag onto an old discussion always add your full model number.

Collapse -
Updates to firmware
by Tjfarthing / December 30, 2012 12:36 AM PST

samsung PN42B450

Was wondering about both issues. Is there a firmware update? Is there any way to control external speakers with the tv remote?

Collapse -
Simple answers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2012 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: Updates to firmware

1. Audio out jacks.

-> Either it has them or it doesn't. No firmware can add hardware.

2. Audio out level.

-> So far I've yet to see this change from fixed to variable.

There's a design decision why this is fixed. And there may not me hardware to change it. That is, no volume control circuit the firmware can affect.
Bob

Collapse -
samsung series 4 ps50c451 127cm (50'') plasma tv
by shhiva452 / April 20, 2013 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Simple answers.

I have a problem in connecting my 2.1 speaker system to my plasma samsung series 4 ps50c451 127cm (50'') tv. I used the 3.5 jack to connect speakers. but, no output sound through speakers even though i changed the audio to external speakers in tv and also checked with tv speakers mode too. frustrated with the audio failure. please help me.

Collapse -
I wish I could.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2013 12:53 AM PDT

But to figure this out I try a set of headphones first and that tells me if the set is producing audio. What happens next?

You posted to a 1500 day old discussion so any further discussion is a guess since will it come up again to the top? In other words, please make a new post if you want to discuss something as such an old post sinks to the bottom.
Bob

Collapse -
Obtaining Audio from Samsung Plasma TV
by Chelan_Jerry / July 28, 2013 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: I wish I could.

Help me ..
I have a Samsung Plasma PN42B400P3DXZA

I USE A ROKU 3 4200R video source - obtaining the signal from my wifi.

In addition - I wanted to add a Sound Bar so I could have a larger audio sound
than that which comes out of the TV alone.

I can't find a way to get external audio from the TV to drive the expernal amplified speaker system.

What am I missing? Is there really an external speaker output connector somewhere on the set?
Yes- there are RCA connectors on the back that 'may' be audio out - (labeling is confusing) - but NO AUDIO is found there --- even when I use the program setting in the TV that selects External
Speakers.

I must be missing something.
Surely you have an external audio output from this TV for those like me who want a larger
sound to feed an external amp?

Thanks for yout help

Jerry

Collapse -
Tip: Make a new post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2013 5:39 AM PDT

This thread is more than 1601 days old and you will find it hard to use later.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks - Where do I go then
by Chelan_Jerry / July 28, 2013 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Tip: Make a new post.

Thanks for the heads up on this old forum...
Where do you suggest I go to ask the question or post a new discussion?
Thank you
Jerry

Collapse -
Just make a new on in the forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2013 6:05 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.