Samsung forum

General discussion

external speakers for a Samsung LED TV

by paulparris / July 27, 2010 2:07 AM PDT

Hi
I have a Samsung a 37? series 6 Led TV in my dining room which is a bit ?echoey?. My hearing is not what it used to be and I have difficulty in discerning words in such an environment.
I want to purchase a set of external speakers to help with this. Can you help me with my options and answers to the following questions:
Do I have to go to the expense of purchasing a home theatre system? I have no requirement to connect any external devices such as CD players or games devices.
Will I have to use the ?optical out? port?
Ideally I would like to connect to Bluetooth speakers which would enable me to position the speakers to best advantage without trailing wires everywhere. Is there a Bluetooth interface device that connect to my TV to achieve this?
Thanksin advance for all adice forthcoming!
Paul

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: external speakers for a Samsung LED TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: external speakers for a Samsung LED TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 27, 2010 2:52 PM PDT

paulparris,

There are a couple of options. A Home Theater system is an option, although not a requirement. Optical is not necessary in most cases, and I can know for sure if you give me the full model number.

I don't know about Bluetooth devices being available, but the TV doesn't have Bluetooth built in.

What many people use when they don't want to do a full receiver is use either a pair of powered speakers (non-powered will not work) connected with an RCA jack (like computer speakers with RCA), or use a small bookshelf audio system that has an RCA/AUX option. This requires a different remote (if the bookshelf system has a remote), but even a small "boom box" will give you a fair amount of sound, and a few of those come with an RCA/AUX-IN input.

I suggest the bookshelf systems because they can usually better compliment the current look of your entertainment system and can be relatively inexpensive - and the "mini systems" can be small and deliver great sound.

If you have more questions on this, let me know and I'll be happy to assist.

The important feature you'll want to look for is the AUX/RCA input and if the unit has its own separate power source (requiring a plug).

--HDTech

Collapse -
by paulparris / July 27, 2010 10:30 PM PDT

Thank you very much for your reply which has given me more food for thought. You see I have a Bose iPod doc which produces excellent sound. I guess this is what you mean by bookshelf speakers. It also has auxiliary input using a jack the same as fits into an iPod. I also have a double ended jack lead which I use for connecting my iPod to my car audio system. I presume this is the RCA Jack you speak of. I can connect my iPod to the Bose this way if I don?t want to use the dock itself.

The only 2 things I can see in the TV manual is this optical outlet for presumably home theatre and something called an RMS 10w x 2. There are no output (only input Jack sockets) Please see the specification link below.
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE32B6000VWXXU/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification

The only additional area or relevance out of the TV manual is a sction I have copied out as follows:

Ext (RGB)
Inputs or outputs for external devices such as VCR or DVD video game device or video disc players.
? When connecting use the appropriate connector
? In EXT mode DTV out supports MPEG SD Video and audio only
? Input/Output specification

Connector Input Output
Video Audio L/R RGB Video + Audio (L/R)
EXT O O O Only TV or DTV output is available

This would appear to need an RGB to Jack cable to connect to my Bose Unit? Can't seem to find such a thing on the net.

Within the technical menu on the TV there is an option to switch from internal to external speakers.

With regard to the Bluetooth option I was wondering if there is something like a Bluetooth dongle that I can incorporate into the output. But achieving output to the Bose dock would be great. The USP socket on the TV is for input only of video and audio.

Thanks again... I understand if you cannnot help me further
Regards
Paul

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 28, 2010 9:21 AM PDT

paulparris,

The connection you were suggesting may be the 3.5mm headphone jack, in which case, you'll need a 3.5mm input or a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable.

I didn't see any 3.5mm outputs on the rear of your model:

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/ue6000.jpg

So assuming, with the External Speakers option, that it's possible, we'd want to route that audio signal from the TV to the input on a bookshelf or Bose system.

Unfortunately, I'm at a loss on exactly how to do this. But if you present a scenario, I (or other forum members) may be able to confirm it.

I wish I could help further, but I'm trying to figure if this is possible outside of the optical audio out. I don't suppose the Bose system has an optical in? That may be the only option - but again, I can't be sure.

10x2 is likely the wattage of the TV's speakers.

There also may be third party bluetooth devices that may transmit, but I've not heard of one sending a wireless optical audio signal. Not to say it doesn't exist, but the handicap is that you have to find an audio out from the TV to a third-party device that will then transfer the optical signal into a bluetooth signal, and get a receiver to them amplify somehow.

By the time you've done all that custom wiring, even a small inexpensive HT system might have been the answer. I'm not trying to sell you on that idea, but I am attempting to keep it simple and practical, and I don't think bluetooth is simple or inexpensive. I hope that message is received with the respect it's intended to have.

You may go down to a local retailer and discuss your options to see if they might have a better and inexpensive solution. Just a thought.

Do any forum members from the UK have any practical advice on this?

--HDTech

Collapse -
coonecting external speakers to my samsunb LED TV
by paulparris / August 2, 2010 12:11 AM PDT

Sorry I took a while to get back to you but I've been away for a few days. Thank you for your reply. You are correct in that none of the 3.5 mm jack points are outputs, only inputs. And your pdf is exactly the same as for my TV. I, like you, am stumped.
I have seen a reduced 850w Samsung home theatre system on the net which will utilise the optical output port. The only thing I have to do now is convince the wife that I can position ?tall boy? speakers round the room? the most difficult challenge of all!

Once again thank you for the time and effort you have spent on this thread.
Regards
Paul

Collapse -
External speakers
by jw650 / August 2, 2010 7:46 PM PDT

There are cheap converter adaptors or cables available that will break out the audio outputs available on the "Ext" (SCART) connectors, so you can connect to any RCA-type electrical audio inputs. While this is an alternative to optical connection to a Home Theatre, it could also be used to connect to a standard amplifier (like the Bose) with auxiliary inputs or even to a pair of powered speakers of the type often used for PCs.
http://cpc.farnell.com/pace/8226-out/scart-adaptor/dp/AR71327
there are many similar devices - make sure it can select output rather than just input.
http://cpc.farnell.com/_/650031/2x-phono-p-to-p-1m/dp/AV07616
standard 1m audio leads
If the Bose input is a single jack, you may need this:
http://cpc.farnell.com/_/690933/2x-phono-s-to-3-5-st-p-adaptor/dp/AV09645
All of these can usually be picked up in a wide range of retail outlets, though some of them have big mark-ups on accessories.

I tried external speakers and found there was a problem with lip-sync due to the wrong delay settings set as default (though that may be fixable in the Service Menu). I ended up going the Home Theatre route (you don't need to have tall speakers - the low-end Samsung systems can have small ones), with an Anynet+ option for simple control. The main advantage of the HT is that it gives a range of audio effects to suit the content and the room layout.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.