Samsung forum

General discussion

External speaker volume control with Samsung TV

by ottodc6 / April 30, 2010 1:01 PM PDT

Hi all,

I have a UA46B8000 LED TV with a 3.5mm headphone jack and a 2.1 speaker system with its own power supply.

The system works great, but I am unable to control the volume using the tv remote controls.

Any ideas on how can I control the speakers volume without buying an amp?

Thanks for your replies!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External speaker volume control with Samsung TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External speaker volume control with Samsung TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
External speaker volume control with Samsung TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 30, 2010 6:35 PM PDT

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble controlling the volume.

The 3.5mm jack is a fixed audio out input, rather than a headphone jack, and isn't controlled by the volume controls on the TV. So the external speakers will require an amp for the volume control.

Collapse -
optical audio output
by sferrell615 / November 3, 2013 4:38 AM PST

ok... i have realized 1st hand that the 3.5mm audio output is not adjusted using the samsung smart tv volume up/down. however, i am curious if the optical audio output is adjusted??? i cannot test this out with my current audio equipment; however, i am aware that you can purchase an optical audio to rca converter adapter (for ~ $15), which would enable me to do this.
thanks in advance!

Collapse -
I would like to know the answer to this too.
by nvsn / December 10, 2013 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: optical audio output

Is the optical audio output also fixed? I have a 6300 series.

Collapse -
I tried the optical audio out
by itsdigger / December 10, 2013 8:04 AM PST

as well as the analog audio out on my Toshiba tv and both were just fixed signals. I couldn't control the volume until I connected to an amplifier or receiver or a headset with volume control.... Digger

Collapse -
solution to adding remote volume control for externl speaker
by samsungfan90210 / February 14, 2011 9:17 AM PST

get an ipod doc with remote from the apple store.
then get this adapter:
iPod input converter to regular MP3 plug (iPod female to 3.5mm plug cable) 4FT (C-IPD2JK)
set your volume on you external amplifies speakers to midrange.
plug in the adapter to your external sound out on your samsung.
plug the female end of the adapter into the ipod doc
plug your amplified speakers into the the audio out on the doc
this comes with a remote that you can use or you can program this into a harmony remote
for external remote speaker control

Collapse -
univ. remote control w/ LEARNING if speaker is controllable

so i tried the optical out on the samsung (different model UN40EH5300) and it is constant as well. silly.
anyways, another option - if your other devices (i.e. cable box, external speaker system, etc.) are non-UHF - is to purchase a universal remote control with a learning capability such as the Sony RM-VL600.
in other words, if your external speaker system can be controlled via remote control but you don't want to deal with several remotes to control tv, cable box, external speaker system... but the remotes you have (e.g. cable's universal remote control) can't control all of your devices then you can get a universal remote control that is able to record the output of that remote which there is no code for.
i've yet to find a universal remote control (for less than several $ hundred) that can learn UHF though, which is not very common yet but comcast is starting to use in their X1 boxes.

Collapse -
Can't control the audio out
by tmorr85 / October 12, 2015 7:12 PM PDT

It sucks I just replaced my Sony TV with a Samsung 'Smart' and just realized I can't control the audio out!! So frustrating I have two in ceiling speakers and can't control the volume through the tv it's driving me nuts. If anyone has a solution please let me know. Thanks!

Collapse -
It's not that hard for an electonics tech
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2015 6:42 AM PDT

To install a minijack with 3 wires to the internal speakers. It's a minor modification which of course voids the warranty.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.