Samsung forum

General discussion

External speaker volume control with Samsung TV

by ottodc6 / April 30, 2010 1:01 PM PDT

Hi all,

I have a UA46B8000 LED TV with a 3.5mm headphone jack and a 2.1 speaker system with its own power supply.

The system works great, but I am unable to control the volume using the tv remote controls.

Any ideas on how can I control the speakers volume without buying an amp?

Thanks for your replies!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External speaker volume control with Samsung TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External speaker volume control with Samsung TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
External speaker volume control with Samsung TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 30, 2010 6:35 PM PDT

ottodc6,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble controlling the volume.

The 3.5mm jack is a fixed audio out input, rather than a headphone jack, and isn't controlled by the volume controls on the TV. So the external speakers will require an amp for the volume control.

--HDTech

Collapse -
optical audio output
by sferrell615 / November 3, 2013 4:38 AM PST

ok... i have realized 1st hand that the 3.5mm audio output is not adjusted using the samsung smart tv volume up/down. however, i am curious if the optical audio output is adjusted??? i cannot test this out with my current audio equipment; however, i am aware that you can purchase an optical audio to rca converter adapter (for ~ $15), which would enable me to do this.
thanks in advance!

Collapse -
I would like to know the answer to this too.
by nvsn / December 10, 2013 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: optical audio output

Is the optical audio output also fixed? I have a 6300 series.

Collapse -
I tried the optical audio out
by itsdigger / December 10, 2013 8:04 AM PST

as well as the analog audio out on my Toshiba tv and both were just fixed signals. I couldn't control the volume until I connected to an amplifier or receiver or a headset with volume control.... Digger

Collapse -
solution to adding remote volume control for externl speaker
by samsungfan90210 / February 14, 2011 9:17 AM PST

get an ipod doc with remote from the apple store.
then get this adapter:
iPod input converter to regular MP3 plug (iPod female to 3.5mm plug cable) 4FT (C-IPD2JK)
from indashpc.org.
set your volume on you external amplifies speakers to midrange.
plug in the adapter to your external sound out on your samsung.
plug the female end of the adapter into the ipod doc
plug your amplified speakers into the the audio out on the doc
this comes with a remote that you can use or you can program this into a harmony remote
for external remote speaker control

enjoy!!!

Loren

Collapse -
univ. remote control w/ LEARNING if speaker is controllable

so i tried the optical out on the samsung (different model UN40EH5300) and it is constant as well. silly.
anyways, another option - if your other devices (i.e. cable box, external speaker system, etc.) are non-UHF - is to purchase a universal remote control with a learning capability such as the Sony RM-VL600.
in other words, if your external speaker system can be controlled via remote control but you don't want to deal with several remotes to control tv, cable box, external speaker system... but the remotes you have (e.g. cable's universal remote control) can't control all of your devices then you can get a universal remote control that is able to record the output of that remote which there is no code for.
i've yet to find a universal remote control (for less than several $ hundred) that can learn UHF though, which is not very common yet but comcast is starting to use in their X1 boxes.

Collapse -
Can't control the audio out
by tmorr85 / October 12, 2015 7:12 PM PDT

It sucks I just replaced my Sony TV with a Samsung 'Smart' and just realized I can't control the audio out!! So frustrating I have two in ceiling speakers and can't control the volume through the tv it's driving me nuts. If anyone has a solution please let me know. Thanks!

Collapse -
It's not that hard for an electonics tech
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2015 6:42 AM PDT

To install a minijack with 3 wires to the internal speakers. It's a minor modification which of course voids the warranty.

Collapse -
REJOICE - PROBLEM SOLVED
by kingsmotorsport / February 25, 2016 6:14 PM PST

I Have A Knack For Finding Clever Work Arounds To Tech Limitations (I Can Do Anything With Homekit Without Openhab And Command Line Programming.

So fortunately for everyone on the thread. I have the same problem in trying to use my Devialet Phantoms with my 78JS9500 (sorry if that sounded braggy - I assure you... it was lol).

SOO HERE IT IS, SUPER SIMPLE:
HDMI ARC AUDIO ADAPTER (LINK BELOW) . BEST PART: ITS ONLY 25 BUCKS. SECOND BEST PART: ITS PRIME ELIGIBLE.

Its Basically A Passthrough That Sits Between Your Source And The Tv. It Will Pass Both Audio And Video To The Tv And Accept The Return Audio And Output It Over Its Optical Port (the same link has an RCA option) Should Make The Volume Command Set From Samsung Adjust The Volume Of The External Speaker. Im Ordering It Now - But Im Almost Entirely Sure It Will Work. It Is The Soleee Purpose Of This Adapter (Plus 788 4-Star Reviews On Amazon - Not An Easy Feat For Any Product - Much Like An Electronic One). So Cheap Its Not Even Worth Waiting For Me To Confirm In A Couple Days)

***PLEASE NOTE*****

It Is Nottttttt An Hdmi Audio Extractor. It Requires Only One Hdmi Cable Between Adapter And Tv (And One Hdmi From The Source Device (I.E. Blu Ray Player To The Adapter). The Audio Signal Is Passed To Optical Port From The Arc Return "Channel". Its Not Extracted From The Incoming Signal From Your Source Device (Ie Cable Box)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011AJG6Y8

Collapse -
Did your ARC solution work?
by Golondrobo / April 3, 2016 8:08 PM PDT

Hi, did you succeed with your HDMI to HDMI ARC adapter in solving the problem with the volume control from the TV?

Thanks in advance

Collapse -
Did it work?
by suobs / June 27, 2016 5:14 PM PDT

Did the ARC adapter work?

Collapse -
This may be the deal breaker
by Michael Wies / December 3, 2015 4:06 PM PST

Just purchased a j5200. The internal speakers sound horrible...very boxy even with the eq adjustments. I decided to hook up a sound bar only to discover the their is no variable audio output. I tried the optical and headphone jack with the same result.
The soundbar is a Visio and I do not think the TV remote will control it.
I do not understand why Samsung did not make the outputs variable. I am a very avid fan of Samsung and have been pleased with their electronics but if I cannot find a solution the TV will have to go back. Also, being as this is standard for Samsung I will have to go with a different brand.
Are there any other options here?

Collapse -
So Sorry Samsung, I have to return your TV.
by MrSpacely / December 12, 2015 12:24 PM PST

I've got a Samsung J5200 Series 43" UN43J5200AF. I just got off the phone with Samsung support and he verified the information in this thread. Very disappointing that Samsung hasn't provided this basic feature. It seems obvious to me that people want to be able to control volume to their external speakers through the TV remote. This TV is going back. I hope other manufacturers' TVs have 'smarter' features.

Collapse -
Does Samsung have a gripe with external volume control?
by suobs / June 26, 2016 6:40 PM PDT

Amazing to see that this thread about being unable to control volume on devices plugged into the headphone jack on Samsung TVs goes back to 2010. I just discovered (and can confirm) that this bizarre omission still hasn't been addressed by Samsung in 2016. Unfortunately I learned this by buying a new UN50J6200 "Smart" TV only to find there's no way to control volume to anything plugged into the audio output jack - e.g. a headphone or powered speaker system that doesn't have its own control or remote. I would blame myself for not checking in advance but who would think such a basic necessity could be omitted by a major brand despite numerous complaints online over at least 6 years? Plus it doesn't say in the e-manual or product descriptions that you can't control volume and that strikes me as a bit deceptive. I'm definitely not springing for a receiver or wireless headphone to make it work for me. This not-very-smart TV is going back to Amazon.

Collapse -
Just in case
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2016 6:56 PM PDT

I read the poor manual (Samsung, you need to do better!) and it made no mention of any setting to control volume on that output.

If Samsung can't put out a good manual, it's as bad as putting out a poor product.

Collapse -
TV Variable Audio Outputs Digital and Analog (NOT)
by DavidEltzroth / March 22, 2016 7:15 AM PDT

I recently purchased 6 Flat screen TVs. two 65" and four 55" The requirement was a TV tuner ATSC, Quam, HDMI and VGA inputs and variable audio outputs with decent speakers on each set. The VGA input was not a deal breaker but the variable audio was/is. Each TV must have a pair of loudspeakers that can be controlled with the TV remote. I am using Tannoy i5 and i6 speakers. I was doing things like going to stores with headphones to confirm that the outputs are variable (not) and I spent hours of online reading PDF TV manulas. I was told by a sales guy that I need to buy NEC because it is a professional grade TV and they have all of he in's and out's that i need. Truth be told the NEC TV a 1080P set is over all underwhelming and cost about $400.00 more than a 4K Samsung. His information and even the manual list that the TV has digital and analog outputs. The TV's show up and Oh look a digital optical output only. I have a optical to analog converter but couldn't bring myself to pay $25.00 to Best Buy for an optical cable so I am waiting for UPS to bring the $6.00 optical cables I ordered online. The company that sold me the NEC TV's will let me return the TV's and now its down to who's set do I rip apart to add variable audio outputs. I know that TV manufactures are trying to save every cent but this is sort of like selling a car without a radio.
The sad part of this is that as the TV broadcasters are striving to greatly improve the audio experience and quality of their broadcast the TV manufactures are are doing their best to trash that effort. This happened to AM radio years ago. The receiver manufactures downgraded the radio's audio so much that the broadcasters final took the attitude that its only AM why bother. TV with good audio can be a very positive viewing experience (The Voice), it would be sad if we all just gave up because the receivers audio is so poor. Besides its only TV.

Collapse -
I wish you top posted this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2016 7:29 AM PDT

As you may or may not know the studios are trying to close the "analog hole" and in so doing break what you are looking for.

Collapse -
NO DAO Volume control on my TVs, but new Samsungs have
by olaf10 / April 14, 2016 9:45 AM PDT

I just confirmed NO volume control (even via Digital Audio Out-RCA converter or using XFINITY box) for my 51" and 32" Samsung TVs: PN51D430 & UN32J4000. I was told new Samsungs have remote DAO volume control, but unfortunately, not mine. Plan to add jack from internal speaker (I'm an ex-NASA engineer). Any tips?

Thanks,

Olaf@cox.net
WIKIPEDIA: Storaasli

Collapse -
Not on the new UN50J6200 I bought 2 weeks ago
by suobs / June 27, 2016 5:21 PM PDT

Fixed audio output only from the headphone jack. And nothing on the packaging, product description at Samsung or Amazon, the e-manual, or the TV itself clarifying that you can't control volume from the audio out jack.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

GAMING MUCH?

Enter for your chance to win* a game hardware bundle

One lucky winner will walk away with a gaming monitor, keyboard and mouse. Two lucky runners-up will score a gaming headset.