PC Hardware forum

External HDD recognized as removable drive

by steve2213 / December 6, 2012 2:22 AM PST

Windows 7 , Western Digital 500 gig 3.5' SATA drive. This has the newer 22 pin setup. plugged into laptop via USB 2.0 port, found a cable online.

Windows 7 finds the hardware but thinks it is a Removable Device like a zip drive.

Is this a cable problem or a driver issue ??

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External HDD recognized as removable drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External HDD recognized as removable drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
USB what?
by Willy / December 8, 2012 1:20 AM PST

Just how is this drive attached besides USB? Is this some USB ext, case or some adapter? Regardless, one should expect it to be seen as "removable drive".

Short answer, it appears to be correct.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Removable drive - correct
by steve2213 / December 8, 2012 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: USB what?

Willy , you are right , all the other drives, show as removable. If I plug a smaller flash drive in it also shows as removable drive.

But I still have a problem, I cannot open the drive to look at it , or transfer data to the drive ( I wanted to use it as a backup ) , if I click on the drive or drag or drop something, windows pops up a window that says

" Please insert a disk into removable drive (F:) "

There is nothing to insert , it thinks it's a zip drive or something.

It is attached to my laptop via a USB 2.0 cable I bought, there are two USB plugs, that go into the laptop and the then other end attached to 22 pins on the HDD. I guess it is getting power from USB, there are no 4 pins for power connect on this drive.

Your answer was the only one that was correct. Hope you have other ideas.

Collapse -
by Willy / December 10, 2012 2:13 AM PST

When you 1st inserted the drive to the USB port, it should have displayed, "found new h/w" and then later say it's "ready for use". If it didn't then it got hosed. To find if this is h/w or irregular OS issue, then it becomes harder to resolve. Under Win7, it's all up to date and shows no issue at the device manager under control panel, then maybe some driver or unique issue has arisen. I say this because some of the cheaper devices out there aren't working or are broken from day 1, as in allowed to work. If the ext. USB drive hasn't been prepared yet, do so. Don't fall for it worked before status, start afresh. I suggest you get the HPUSBformatter s/w. use it and make it NTSF capable. Also, if the old drive had been partitioned before, you can totally wipe clean whatever it was before, again start fresh. I use either DBAN or KILLDISK, once done then use OS own formatter to prepare it or HPUSBformatter. This is a time consuming process but once done should really get the HD ready. If after all this it still pukes, then I would think more along h/w faults, like the ext. HD package. Understand also, that the ext. HD kit MUST state its Win7 capable in some way. I don't like to format ext. HDs in partitions it's already hard enough to make this work under USB, then add another layer to it, but that's me. Also, this isn't USB3 by chance in any way? Please provide info on that cable you mentioned you found online, details matter. if the ext. USB package provided any s/w to install, do so now, reboot and check results.

tada -----Willy Happy

All Answers

Collapse -
One, it is a removable drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 2:24 AM PST

Two, power for a 3.5 inch drive is never from USB so tell where you supply power for it?

Collapse -
Why USB?
by wpgwpg / December 6, 2012 2:27 AM PST

I'd expect anything connected via USB to be recognized as external. Why didn't you connect it to a SATA outlet on your mobo? That would be much faster as far as transfer rate goes. What does WD recommend for this drive?

Collapse -
by pgc3 / December 9, 2012 9:48 PM PST
In reply to: Why USB?

Just reading this post and as Bob Proffitt stated, this drive requires power(AC to DC inversion) not just USB, there is no mention of how this drive is being powered.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.