PC Hardware forum

General discussion

external HDD help!

by visci489 / May 9, 2013 3:14 PM PDT

hi everyone. I have a big problem going on with my "Seagate Free Agent Go Flex usb3.0 2TB external HDD". Out of nowhere this drive just quit reading on my pc. i plug it in and it reads its but doesn't launch anything. Just asks me to format it and even under "my computer" i am unable to open it. BUT!, heres the kicker. i can plug it into my ps3 and it will fully read the drive and everything i have on it! i don't have a clue what to do. if someone could please give me some insight on how to solve this problem i would really appreciate it. I really don't want to lose all my stuff!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: external HDD help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: external HDD help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: external drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 9, 2013 5:11 PM PDT
In reply to: external HDD help!

Since it works on a PS3 and doesn't work on your PC, it's anybody's guess what it will do on other devices. So that's what I would try: see what it does on another PC.

Please note that we don't recommend using an external disk for storage. They are too error prone. They are nice for a backup and for moving data between PC's, but (like any hard disk) shouldn't be used to store your only copy of certain data. So the first thing to do once it works on that other PC: copy the contents (at least the part of your stuff that you don't want to lose) to another external disk as a backup.

Collapse -
by Willy / May 9, 2013 10:33 PM PDT

Your problem probably arose due to improper dismount. Also, because you used in various PCs or other devices, it can lose it translation or i/f method and/or it remains with what was used last. One way or another if not given the time to dismount or acknowledge to "close itself" it may get hosed. No matter if done before w/no issue, sooner or later it bites you. At the same time, ext. HDs just are prone to outside forces, expected or unexpected. If it can mount in another PC, retrieve whatever data you can, then reformat. You can try to use some "recovery s/w" but that's up to you.

Just what is the primary use of the ext. HD?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
re: issues
by visci489 / May 10, 2013 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Issues

i use it to hold a bunch of stuff for safe keeping just in case i need it again. and mostly for movies to play on my ps3. you really think that just from dismounting unproperly that could happen? wow never even thought about that. i will try it on my brothers pc and see how it handles it. hopefully it reads.

Collapse -
Refrain from primary backup storage
by Willy / May 10, 2013 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: re: issues

As ironic as it sounds, don't count on the ext. HD as a major source of storage of important files. Transport files or video, etc., that makes sense. Plus, as I already stated improper dismount can cause an issue. You may not know until its too late. AND yes, it can happen so as I offered, movies are OK as your primary source of movies are probably elsewhere. It certainly doesn't hurt to store critical or important files/folders on CD/DVD/BD media and multiple copies is known good practice.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Do not recover or format it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2013 11:10 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.