PC Hardware forum

General discussion

External Harddrive space not freeing up even after deleting

by meme427 / October 9, 2007 2:05 AM PDT

I have a 2.5" External hard drive that has a lot of data on it
I was trying to free up some space on the hard Drive but when i delete anything the space does not come. I deleted a 4.5 GB folder and the free space still remained 687MB.
I do this with any files on this hard Drive the space does not increase.

I have tried to defragment my drive, done disk cleanup.
I have obviously emptied my recycle bin (besides i did say this is an external drive)

Anyone got a solution?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Harddrive space not freeing up even after deleting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Harddrive space not freeing up even after deleting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Usually not a hardware issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2007 2:09 AM PDT

The most common thing to do is to empty the trash.

Bob

Collapse -
Trash is empty
by meme427 / October 9, 2007 5:36 AM PDT

This is an external Hard Drive

I have emptied the trash as well
many time i end up using Ctrl+Delete

I am sure the files are not in the Trash.
Is there any other solution?

Collapse -
My external has a trashcan too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2007 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Trash is empty

You can use a file explorer (I use Gyula's Navigator) to find where the space is or not is.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks man, you just helped me a lot!
by marcins86 / May 28, 2012 9:55 AM PDT

I cannot believe i didn't think about it earlier...

Collapse -
Hidden folder/files
by wmlundine / October 12, 2007 10:09 AM PDT

May be caused by malware. Use Tree Size Free available on Cnet download.com. Works for me every time.Find the files, delete and then scan drive for virus/malware.

Collapse -
Try ScanDisk!
by antonio78 / October 12, 2007 10:20 AM PDT

Have you tried running "ScanDisk" on your external hard drive to check for errors and correct them if it there's any?
Do the following:
1. Double-click My Computer.

2. Right-click the drive you want to scan and select Properties.

3. Select the Tools tab. In the "Error-checking" section, click the Check Now button (this button appears in the "Error Checking Status" section in Windows 95, 98, and Me).

Hope this helps!!

Collapse -
by srenit / August 28, 2011 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Try ScanDisk!

I'm having this issue today. I have a 250GB drive and I completed all of those steps of deleting, etc. and it's showing there is 152GB of space being used. Right now I am running the "check disk" and I can see it's checking all these files that supposedly doesn't exist. Here's to hoping this works and I can get this space back. I have a iomega eGo purchased through Dell.

Collapse -
Same as above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2011 9:05 AM PDT

You use a file explorer as noted or see if any Norton or other things are giving you a protected trash bin.

Bob

Collapse -
by srenit / August 28, 2011 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Same as above.

Ok, the check error, didn't change anything, so I don't even know if it was checking the external drive even though I had it selected. I say that cause it was showing how many files it was going through. How do I do that, file explorer thing? I have McAfee, so how do I do that, too?

Collapse -
I don't use that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2011 10:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
by srenit / August 28, 2011 1:53 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't use that.

Are these things free downloads, ubuntu? There's not ever been Norton on my computer, only McAfee. Or are you referring to the external harddrive?

Collapse -
by srenit / August 28, 2011 2:29 PM PDT

I think it worked. I downloaded Gyula and once I figured out how to change the drive selection, like over 1200 files showed up. It was all the backup stuff that said was in recycle bin. I don't get how that happens but I deleted it all. So out of a 250G there is now 231G free space. Still it's like where's the rest? Is that like all the system stuff for the drive in the 19G? Kind of like with the phone. It has 16G but really on 14G available for my use. Well, I think that's it. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Good hunting!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2011 1:46 AM PDT

Sorry but given the clues I can't guess what caused it. And as you found out we have to learn/use other tools that given us an uncluttered view at the folders and files (Explorer tends to hide things.)

The remaining space may be the old digital byte count issue. A 250GB drive is often 250 billion bytes and not 250GB.

Are you aware and fluent with this difference?
Bob

Collapse -
External Harddrive space ...
by srenit / August 29, 2011 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Good hunting!

Yes, the need to learn/use. I enjoy learning about some tech things and as long as I can get back to point A without losing or damaging anything, I'm good.

I'm not fluent in the differences between bytes and gigs but am aware.

thanks for the help

Collapse -
external harddrive...
by srenit / August 28, 2011 11:23 PM PDT

I
think it worked. I downloaded Gyula and once I figured out how to
change the drive selection, like over 1200 files showed up. It was all
the backup stuff that said was in recycle bin. I don't get how that
happens but I deleted it all. So out of a 250G there is now 231G free
space. Still it's like where's the rest? Is that like all the system
stuff for the drive in the 19G? Kind of like with the phone. It has 16G
but really on 14G available for my use. Well, I think that's it. Thanks
for your help.

Collapse -
THANKS!
by ciureanuc / March 15, 2012 6:15 AM PDT

Norton Protection was keeping approx 10 GB of deleted files.
Now problem is solved, thanks man! Happy

Collapse -
empty the trash can or use shift+delete key to....
by ackmondual / October 12, 2007 10:26 AM PDT

.....permanently delete stuff.

Emptying the trash/recycling can is true of ALL ext hardrives, from handheld units that only hold 4GB, to those the size of a brick that hold 750GB.

Collapse -
by HJBartz / October 12, 2007 2:30 PM PDT

Have you checked the partition on that drive? Go to control panel/performance and maintenance/administrative tools/computer management/storage/disk management.

i recently had a client who complained that he was missing some space on his HDD - we found that the manufacturer (Dell), for what ever reason, had placed a small fat partiton before the main ntfs partion. The fat partition was not visible in windows explorer.

cheers

Collapse -
Had the same problem and solved it
by genotypewriter / October 12, 2007 5:45 PM PDT

It was actually on my 2GB SD card. The amount of free space wasn't report properly. This probably happens when you remove the harddrive/device before the OS updates the file system records.

One solution is to backup everything (on to another drive) and quick format the drive. This did it for me.

Hope this helped.

Collapse -
The amount of free space wasn't report properly .....
by HJBartz / October 13, 2007 12:29 AM PDT

now that you mention it the problem obviously is one of the amount of free space not being reported properly. Equally obvious, now that i think about it, is that there is a little utility called 'chkdsk' in-built in windows that can be used to correct the problem.

Collapse -
Yep
by genotypewriter / October 13, 2007 1:14 AM PDT

Somewhere in Windows there's a way to recalculate the amount of free space but I couldn't find it again. So that's why I chose to simply copy everything over, quick format and restore the copy. I understand this is more doable on 2GB flash disk as opposed to a large harddrive.

Let us know if you manage to find it... I just chkdsk /? but couldn't find it in the options.

Collapse -
no "chkdsk"
by antonio78 / October 13, 2007 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep

Hey guys, you won't be able to use "chkdsk" if you have Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, and XP, these systems come with a 32-bit ScanDisk disk analysis and repair tool, read my first post somewere above if you need to know how to get to it!

Collapse -
chkdsk is there in XP
by genotypewriter / October 13, 2007 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: no "chkdsk"

I think it's used only for scanning during the booting process. I just tried chkdsk because it shows me a variety of options unlike scandisk. I don't think the command prompt chkdsk and the scandisk in My Computer are any different in the way they work.

Collapse -
Just ended up formatin it!
by meme427 / October 13, 2007 5:22 PM PDT
In reply to: chkdsk is there in XP

I tried the the check disk, went through cmd
tried doing it at boot up...
tried defragmenting it as well
none of them worked so i finally did what i dint want to
i took a backup and then formatted it
and as expected i got all my space back

i also checked for the partitions but there aren't any.
thanx

Collapse -
Sometimes...
by genotypewriter / October 13, 2007 10:29 PM PDT

... the inelegant solution elegantly saves time Happy

Collapse -
yep!
by meme427 / October 14, 2007 8:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Sometimes...

well said

Collapse -
External space missing
by gluttner / October 16, 2007 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: yep!

If you delete files on another drive (C) while the external drive is attached, many times those files end up in the external drive's Recycle Bin, and if you remove it before emptying the trash, the files remain, but cannot be removed the next time the external drive is attached. I have seen it happen on various USB drives.

Best thing to do, as mentioned before, is to copy your data from the
external drive to a CD or the C drive and fully reformat the external. Be sure to empty the Recycle Bin before disconnecting the external drive next time.

Collapse -
External space missing
by l.welsh / August 11, 2008 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: External space missing

I arrived here looking to resolve what I believe to be the exact same issue. I figured I'd post a solution to help anyone else who comes across this.

I have an external drive with 200+ gigs of data, making backing up and reformatting not an option. I was using the little free space I had left to transfer large files between XP and Vista machines, deleting the file from the drive on the target machine after it was copied. After a while there was no free space left and all the regular tricks (disk cleanup, chkdsk, reboot, etc) werent working. I always use the safely remove hardware option from the sys tray before disconnecting the drive every time (I learned my lesson once before).

For those who need some background on recycle bins, see this post. I found it to be a helpful refresher. Sys admin types should know this: http://www.topfreeforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5694&sid=b76a5f65fe2824d1caaeb2b8a990d033&mforum=neatnettricks

The first thing to try is to empty the recycle bin of the external drive on the machine where you deleted the file(s). You will find that the recycle bin differs depending on the machine you are viewing it from.

If that fails, you can unhide then delete the recycle bin folder on the external drive. In Vista, from a command prompt while in the root of the external drive, enter "attrib -s -h $RECYCLE.BIN". I believe in XP the command is "attrib -s -h RECYCLER". Then simply just open explorer and delete the exposed recycle bin (holding shift). The next time you delete something, the recycle bin will be recreated. If the recycle bin reappears as unhidden, you can re-hide it by using the reverse of that command "attrib +s +h RECYCLER".

Collapse -
Use Disk Utility to free up space on external hard drive
by Stells_Bells / October 19, 2011 3:23 AM PDT

1). Go to Disk Utility

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.