Storage forum

Question

External Hard Drive Recommendations

by somerandomguy42086 / November 24, 2012 8:33 PM PST

Can you guys recommend an external hard drive that is durable as well as suitable for constant use? And by constant use I mean something I can retrieve and update data from multiple times on a daily basis - not just use as an emergency backup.

I'm looking for something that is preferably 200 MB to 1TB and above, and that's portable; but the reviews I've read online have been a mix of hits and misses when it comes to durability. So it seems like quite a gamble...

Anyway, any of you have external hard drives that have lasted years, and use constantly and so can recommend?

Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Hard Drive Recommendations
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Hard Drive Recommendations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Correction
by somerandomguy42086 / November 24, 2012 8:38 PM PST

200 GB*

Collapse -
Answer
Are you backing up or transferring data between different
by VAPCMD / November 25, 2012 2:59 AM PST

computers.

All my stuff is backed up to multiple hard drives with a copy of the latest image(s) on an external. Not sure I can recommend using an external for continuous use and switching between PCs.

Maybe a NAS would be a better solution.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
External drive(s)
by pgc3 / November 26, 2012 12:53 AM PST

I use a couple of Toshiba 1.5 gb units but they are NOT for permanent storage, I use hard media for that purpose.

Collapse -
Answer
Mobile?
by Willy / November 26, 2012 11:03 PM PST

If you plan to move the ext. HDs on a regular basis, NOT from one PC to another in the same room, then consider a "safe box" or hard container to protect it. Alas, no ext. HD will last long if the vendor itself doesn't suggest it's "robust to hard knocks, or similar" can survive travel. That said, look for wording that addresses such on top of better "shock cases, or rubber bumper" ones. However, no ext. HD will work well if dropped, don't expect much along those lines. Even if it survives it's usually a short-lived retrieve. the best wording I can offer is "industrial or military grade" portability of such, so check out vendors providing similar. Alas, you may find X-vendor really offering X-brand inside which is nothing more than a rebadged ext. HD made to be better in the long run. Thus, you can look for robust ext. cases and mount your own HD. Start your google search or similar...

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.