Storage

General discussion

External Hard Drive Problems (Weird noises, connecting etc.)

by zeb112000 / September 21, 2007 12:35 PM PDT

My external hard drive is supposed to be lacie made, but when it connects to the computer it says its a maxtor so I don't know whats going on, but to the point, it was on a while back and it was connected to the computer, then it fell off of a table and now it just makes some weird noises and wont connect to the computer. I wanted to know if there is any way to fix this, and whats the noise from and anything else that could help me. Thanks so much in advance.

-Zeb

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Hard Drive Problems (Weird noises, connecting etc.)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Hard Drive Problems (Weird noises, connecting etc.)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just explaining
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2007 12:35 AM PDT

The case is made or designed by Lacie. However hard disks are very high tech devices that you don't want made by startup companies. Lacie should use drives made by Maxtor and other names.

"it fell off of a table and now it just makes some weird noises"

Sadly both the hard disk and it's Lacie case is now suspect. You could try replacing just the case or the hard disk and see if you can save one of the two parts.

Bob

Collapse -
Taking the case off?
by zeb112000 / September 22, 2007 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Just explaining

How would I take the case off of the Hard drive? I have looked but don't see any screws, obviously I'm missing something. Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
No warranty on this so...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2007 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Taking the case off?

A common hiding spot for case screws are under rubber feet or little round stick on labels.

Bob

Collapse -
After it's off then what?
by zeb112000 / September 22, 2007 3:11 PM PDT

What do I do to connect the hard drive to the computer after the case is off? IDE and SATA?? I don't know how, or what these are ( sorry for the illiteracy) Thanks again in advance!

Collapse -
That's why I remove the cover.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 12:48 AM PDT

These devices come with either type connection so I have to open it up to find out what to do next.

Since it took a bounce the zero dollar approach may be best. Connecting it to some desktop and seeing if the hard disk survived.

Bob

Collapse -
Rubber Grips?
by zeb112000 / September 23, 2007 2:42 AM PDT

I took the rubber grips off and there are no screws. The rubber grips are the only place on the thing where it could be hidden, the only other thing I can think of is there the same color as the casing and was made by the gov so it couldn't be found, but I doubt it. Anyways, what do I do/look for ? I took off all of the rubber grips (theres four on the bottom) and there seems to be nothing under them. Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
Snap fit plastic cases.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Rubber Grips?

Some cases are snap fit click together affairs. Brute force and prybars are the usual tools to open.

Let's be honest here. It's busted so we can't hurt it too badly.

Bob

Collapse -
OK, it's off..
by zeb112000 / September 23, 2007 3:01 AM PDT

I got it off, what am I looking for? Do I take the whole thing out or leave it in? Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
We look at the hard disk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, it's off..

Is it SATA or IDE?

You can use google.com to see pictures of said connections on hard disks so I don't offer that here.

Bob

Collapse -
It's IDE I think
by zeb112000 / September 23, 2007 3:13 AM PDT

I think it's IDE, it has a strip like thing, but it's real short so..what would I do? Oh, and do I take off the computer case? I mean mine, Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
Wide is IDE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: It's IDE I think

There's a 4 pin MOLEX for power and then put that on some desktop in place of say a DVD drive (swap for a test run). If the drive is visiable in Windows then that's a good sign and I advise buying a new case. If the drive isn't visible in Windows and still makes bad noises then it's bit the dust.

Bob

Collapse -
Trying this
by zeb112000 / September 23, 2007 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Wide is IDE.

I'm going to try this right now. I'll let you know if it worked.

Collapse -
Confused..?
by zeb112000 / September 23, 2007 2:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Wide is IDE.

I'm confused about the slave option, also I did connect it to the computer but the computer wouldn't start and would rry to start from the external hard drive (the one I connected) and it wouldnt work, do I need to set slave options (illiterate on the matter) and what about the pins on the hard drive? Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
White thing
by zeb112000 / September 23, 2007 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, it's off..

There's a white thing (i dont know what its called) and it has a red, two black and one yellow wire coming from it, do I need to hook this up to the computer ? (inside of the computer I mean) and how do I connect it? Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
Re confused about the slave option.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 8:13 PM PDT

Why I noted to use some DVD or such drive are those drives are 99% of the time on the Secondary IDE channel and would not interfere with the PC's boot process. You appear to have decided to try to slave it to the Primary drive which could have issues and stop booting.

Your choice here but it does stop me from helping remotely like this.

Bob

Collapse -
DVD Drive
by zeb112000 / September 24, 2007 1:03 AM PDT

I did the first. I had removed my DVD drive and hooked the external hard drive where the DVD drive was, I booted up and nothing happened, but I was confused because my computer still showed my DVD drive as connected, and I knew it wasn't, I clicked explore but the error "Please insert disk into drive" came up. That's why I was asking if I needed to change the pins or anything on it, and if I did anything else wrong. Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
Try the jumpers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD Drive

Or try the other connection on that IDE cable. For most the setting of MASTER will be fine for the END IDE connection even when the jumper is on CS or Master.

You may need to tell if the drive spun up or made noises (bad or good?) There was also a power connector you move from the DVD as well as the wide flat IDE...

Bob

Collapse -
IDE connection
by zeb112000 / September 24, 2007 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Try the jumpers.

I connected it to the DVD IDE cable and power supply, it still makes the noises when the computer starts up but stops after a short period. It doesn't show up in disk management or in the explorer window. Also, my usb mass storage device, the one that I was connecting it to ( when it was in casing ) no longer shows up in device manager, is that good or bad? Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
Sadly it looks like a goner.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: IDE connection

Windows does that with the DVD drive so don't fret about that.

Since the drive looks dead and the case took a bounce I would not chance it that the case still works. BUT IF I EVER FOUND AN OLD IDE DRIVE IT MAY BE WORTH A TRY.

Did the BIOS show the drive?

Bob

Collapse -
BIOS?
by zeb112000 / September 24, 2007 1:57 PM PDT

I didn't check that, I'll try that lastly. If it does recognize it, what would I do then? Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
IF the BIOS shows the drive...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: BIOS?

We now step up the tools one notch (as we move forward, our skill levels do go up.)

For me I unplug the hard disk that I must not touch (safety first) and boot up DBAN (see http://dban.sourceforge.net/ ) I want to wipe the drive and see if DBAN (a) sees the drive and possible (b) wipe the drive so Windows has a clean run at using it again. Item b is up to you.

Item a is the most important step since that fails the drive is truly gone.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.