How To forum

Question

External Hard Drive On My Explorer 8300HDC...

by JAROAM / December 14, 2012 11:18 AM PST

Looking to hook up an external hard drive to my TWC Explorer 8300HDC DVR. Now, other forums have said it works using the eSATA connection. Seeing that none of my other tries have worked, I'm not sure if spending some cash to see will be worthwhile.

What I have tried:

The box has two 1394 Firewire connections into which I've tried plugging in a drive. Apparently those can only be used to connect the DVR to a TV. Um, do modern TVs have Firewire ports, mine don't.

The box also has a USB port on the front which I've tried. Still got notta. Apparently you're supposed to hook up a keyboard and such to it. Um, really?

So, do I spend some cash to see of the eSATA is the way or is there some other advice?

P.S. - TWC support is absolutely clueless!

Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Hard Drive On My Explorer 8300HDC...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Hard Drive On My Explorer 8300HDC...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Can you supply a link to the product manual?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 12:42 AM PST

And tell us what page it shows support for the external drive?

Many DVRs don't support externals. To help others help you, show us the manual. These are member to member forums so make it easy for folk to check it out.
Bob

Collapse -
Link to product manual...
by JAROAM / December 15, 2012 7:55 AM PST

Check this out, it's on Cisco's website: http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4003986.pdf
On page 16, it does indeed say yes via eSATA. On other forums, people say you can via eSATA only while others say you can't do it at all and of course Time Warner's help folks are plain ol' lost. Suppose I could just buy a cheap cable and try it.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Thanks. Did you notice that this is OPTIONAL?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 8:02 AM PST

As is the cable provider does not have to enable this?

"Check with your cable service provider for a list of
approved hard drive models for use with the 8300HD"

We see this a lot with other things. Folk want to add those relatively new to such boxes larger than 500GB drives so if I was to try this I'd stick to 500GB if no one will answer your questions.

All I read is that it's OPTIONAL and that's the code word that not all of these boxes will do this or that the cable provider can switch it off.

WHY IS THAT? Simple. They love to nickel and dime us. If they can get 5 bucks a month for "Premium Extended Recording" then they will.

The eSATA cable here was 3 bucks so not a terrible amount to gamble. Be sure your drive is in some powered case since eSATA does not provide drive power.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
External hard drive
by Tazgeek / December 18, 2012 12:09 PM PST

Why not just swap your Explorer 8300HDC for a newer model with a bigger hard drive?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.